Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-21-2003, 10:15 PM   #1
Chocolateuke
Dojo: Muhu Dojo
Location: Middle of nowhere in California 14 miles from Buellton
Trainin with a cochlear implant

Hey all, I just started to train again about 2 weeks ago. I got a cochlear implant over the summer. My hearing has GREATLY improved and I am VERY happy with it. There is one problem, well two. I have to take the external stuff off so it doens't break, and when I fall incorrectly or hard my head rings like mad. You see a Cochlear implant is well an tranmitting coil implanted into my cochlea in my ears. I have external and internal stuff.

Anyways, I am trying to improve my Ukemi so I dont hit my head on the mat if I take a really really hard fall, but if I hit the mat hard regardless of head hitting mat or not I hear ringing. Anyone here have peers or students who train in Aikido with a Cochlear implant? Any tips? Would Aikido be to risky for my implant? My doctor said as long as I dont hit my head really hard against anything I should be fine.

I hope you all are having as much training as I am, its a blast! Train on!

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
jxa127
Dallas,

While I don't have any experience with your particular question, I do have some experience with having to modify my training due to injury.

The bottom line is that you can and should ask your partner to throw you slowly so you have time to set up the fall. At the same time, work with your instructor to learn how to keep from hitting your head.

It should only be a matter of a few months before you'll feel more confident and comfortable with your ukemi.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 09-24-2003, 11:39 AM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Tuck your chin so that it is touching your chest whenever you do a back break fall. The more you tuck, the less chance of your head snapping back and hitting the mat (feels like whiplash, don't it )

Congrats on the implant, and good luck.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 09-24-2003, 02:52 PM   #4
lt-rentaroo
Yes, congratulations on your new and improved hearing!

Dallas -

I'm relatively new to the area, not far from where you're at (I'm near Lompoc) and would like to stop by your dojo and train occasionally. I know where the dojo is (I think), but I'm not sure what days/times classes are held. Your help is much appreciated, Thanks!!

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:12 PM   #5
Chocolateuke
My "dojo" is at the hans christan Park in Solvang on the lawn across the subway (the sandwich place!). Just go on HWY 246 towards Buellton, and when you hit Solvang keep going till you see a lawn area! We train there on Tues from 5:30- 7. we are still looking for a Indoor dojo space.

Have fun!

Dallas Adolphsen
Old 09-25-2003, 09:17 PM   #6
jxa127
Dallas,

I just re-read my previous post and, geez, do I sound patronizing or what? Sorry about that.

In any event my only point was that whenever I have to protect a portion of my anatomy due to injury or surgery or whatever, I ask my partner to go slowly so that I can really concentrate on doing my falls properly.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames
Old 09-26-2003, 02:01 AM   #7
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark
Hey Dallas!

Completely off topic: I never realised, that you live in 'Little Denmark'. Does it mean anything to you, or is it just another town in the middle of the US ?

Oh and one more thing: Maybe you should consult the doctor that fitted the implant. He probably has an opinion on the matter.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 09-26-2003, 08:09 AM   #8
lt-rentaroo
Thank you for the info!! Hopefully I'll get some time soon and will be able to stop by for a visit.

LOUIS A. SHARPE, JR.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:04 AM   #9
Chocolateuke
My doctor said I should be able to train as long as I don't hit my head hard against anything.

Solvang= a lot of tourist who want to see what Denmark might look like without the really long flight :P. We just had our Danish days festivle last week, it was great fun. A lot of Jappanesse come to visit.

Dallas Adolphsen