Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
patf
United_States
Breathing Training while Exercising

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some tips on breathing exercises that I can practice during my daily walk. I walk approx 5km each day at lunch and my pace is quite fast. I have been practicing breathing in through my nose and exhaling slowly through my mouth but I feel there is probably more to "good breathing" than just that.
I have read some articles that deal with breathing in slowly, holding, breathing out slowly, holding etc, but they seemed to be geared towards having the person in a static position where the body isn't really active.
My walk involves fairly varied terrain, so my breathing naturally adjusts to the effort I have to expend. The basic breathing I am doing right now seems to be helping me quite a bit as I find myself breathing better in class and ending up less and less winded after a spirited technique.
I'm hoping I can refine/correct what I'm doing (during my walks) and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
dps

Re: Breathing Training while Exercising

I have a book about walking meditation given to me by a buddhist monk. In it they suggest as you inhale you count how many steps you take then as you exhale you count how many steps you take.

The goal is to lengthen the number of steps on the exhale so that the exhale is longer than the inhale. For example; it takes four steps for a complete inhale and eight steps for a complete exhale. But you start out with the inhale steps and exhale steps being the same and gradually increase the exhale steps.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
patf
United_States
Re: Breathing Training while Exercising

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I have a book about walking meditation given to me by a buddhist monk. In it they suggest as you inhale you count how many steps you take then as you exhale you count how many steps you take.

The goal is to lengthen the number of steps on the exhale so that the exhale is longer than the inhale. For example; it takes four steps for a complete inhale and eight steps for a complete exhale. But you start out with the inhale steps and exhale steps being the same and gradually increase the exhale steps.

David
Very interesting, thanks.

I wonder is there a difference in breathing for meditation versus breathing for energy/stamina or are they one and the same.

Also I wonder what would be considered appropriate inhale/exhale counts during vigorous walking. I've tried inhaling/exhaling for as long as possible during my walks but I don't seem to be getting enough air in to keep up with my pace.

Last edited by patf : 08-21-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #4
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Ki breathing

Quote:
Patrick Fitzpatrick wrote: View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some tips on breathing exercises that I can practice during my daily walk.
I guess that you're interested in a kind of breathing relevant to aikido (and any budo). If so, it is important how you breathe. I'd like to call it ki breathing.

It's belly breathing, more precisely with your center, and long extensions - especially of the exhalation, as mentioned by David above.
If you focus on exhalation and extension, it increases your power (as in budo, where almost every decisive movement is done when exhaling). If you focus on inhalation it leads to a strong sense of inspiration (as in the arts).

I have some ki breathing exercises on my website:

http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/ki-exercises.htm

Check under the headline Breathing.
Also check the Extension exercises on the same webpage. There's one for walking.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 08-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
patf
United_States
Re: Ki breathing

Quote:
Stefan Stenudd wrote: View Post
I guess that you're interested in a kind of breathing relevant to aikido (and any budo). If so, it is important how you breathe. I'd like to call it ki breathing.

It's belly breathing, more precisely with your center, and long extensions - especially of the exhalation, as mentioned by David above.
If you focus on exhalation and extension, it increases your power (as in budo, where almost every decisive movement is done when exhaling). If you focus on inhalation it leads to a strong sense of inspiration (as in the arts).

I have some ki breathing exercises on my website:

http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/ki-exercises.htm

Check under the headline Breathing.
Also check the Extension exercises on the same webpage. There's one for walking.
Stefan,
I read through your webpage (very interesting I might add) and had a question about the belly breathing exercise (lying down), On the inhalation the belly presses against the hand and on the exhalation the belly also presses upwards against the hand. While I can generate both conditions I cannot do so without letting the belly relax (drop) between the inhale/exhale. If I end up with my belly extended on the inhale, there's no room for more extension on the exhale. Maybe I'm stating the obvious but is there an implied relaxation of the belly between in/exhale?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Re: Ki breathing

Quote:
Patrick Fitzpatrick wrote: View Post
On the inhalation the belly presses against the hand and on the exhalation the belly also presses upwards against the hand. While I can generate both conditions I cannot do so without letting the belly relax (drop) between the inhale/exhale. If I end up with my belly extended on the inhale, there's no room for more extension on the exhale. Maybe I'm stating the obvious but is there an implied relaxation of the belly between in/exhale?
Not really. The belly extends in slightly different places on inhalation and exhalation. Don't worry about it. The important thing is that you go really deep in your belly with each breath.
This is "power breathing" with a very strong spirit forward.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd