Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #26
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain
Re: Sensing energy from far away: is this achievable or BS?

Quote:
Long Trinh wrote: View Post
But it seems that if his tutelage doesn't result in anything but frustration, I'm better off just working solo on my tai sabakis.
May be you could try a different art. What is available in your area?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #27
Dalaran1991
France

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
May be you could try a different art. What is available in your area?
If this was possible, I would have done it a long time ago... When you fall in love with an art, you don't simply let go because of unavailability right?

I started Aikido when I was in Paris last semester. 20 hours per week, every hour not spent in the dojo felt like having an itch. Wonderful Sensei, met the greatest people there and even fell in love with one (didn't work out though ) Now I'm going back there next September. I just gotta put up with the current situation until then
Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #28
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
If this was possible, I would have done it a long time ago... When you fall in love with an art, you don't simply let go because of unavailability right?
I don't know. I've only fallen in love with my wife.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #29
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Quote:
... I just gotta put up with the current situation until then
No you don't.

Where EXACTLY are you?
Forum people are always extremely helpful at finding better Dojos in any location : there's a compulsion!
Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #30
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
Well, considering the fact that most person-to-person communication is non-verbal (up to 90+% I've read), then if someone can train themselves to consciously be aware of this (as in neuro-linguistic programming, for instance), then they may seem to be of the "Mentalist" type.
Trained and guilty as charged.

When you know this stuff from a more practical operational skill acquisition perspective and model, I tend to laugh at the more meta-physical ego-inflating explanations.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #31
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Sure you do. Do you know what the word "unavailability" means? It means it isn't there. If it isn't there, you can't have it. To have it, you must go to it. If you won't go to it, then simply letting go (which you seem to disdain) is the better and wiser course, although it's also the harder course. The easier course is to indulge in comfortable delusions and romantic notions about your striving and dedication and "not letting go". If what you're holding is junk, then letting go is the only thing that makes sense.

Quote:
I started Aikido when I was in Paris last semester. 20 hours per week, every hour not spent in the dojo felt like having an itch.
Well, I love aikido, but that's not a very functional way to be, unless you've managed to get yourself into an uchideshi program. Perhaps you should pursue that.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #32
Dalaran1991
France

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
No you don't.

Where EXACTLY are you?
Forum people are always extremely helpful at finding better Dojos in any location : there's a compulsion!
I live on campus at University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia. Thing is, I don't have a car, and public transport here is almost non-existent. I know that there are dojos in the city but I have no way of getting to them
Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #33
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
I live on campus at University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia. Thing is, I don't have a car, and public transport here is almost non-existent. I know that there are dojos in the city but I have no way of getting to them
The University of Richmond Martial Arts Club is open to all members of the University of Richmond community. A wide variety of martial arts are taught, including Aikido, Hapkido, Judo, Jujitsu, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do , and more. All skills levels, from beginner to advanced, and all styles, are welcome!
https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~g...URMAChome.html

Is this your actual club?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #34
Rob Watson
United_States

Four dojos from this sites dojo locator are 11.3, 8.3, 8.2 & 7.5 miles away from the U. A bicycle will get you there shortly. Walking will get you there eventually. Running will get you there in less than 2 hours. Just how badly do you want to get there?

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
Dalaran1991
France

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
The University of Richmond Martial Arts Club is open to all members of the University of Richmond community. A wide variety of martial arts are taught, including Aikido, Hapkido, Judo, Jujitsu, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do , and more. All skills levels, from beginner to advanced, and all styles, are welcome!
https://facultystaff.richmond.edu/~g...URMAChome.html

Is this your actual club?
It is, but that's just marketing. In reality they only do Tang So Do and some half-butt Aikido. Nobody even knows what ukemi is after 3 months of training. I can't do kotegaeshi on any of them because they will break their wrists. Oh, and no mat.

Quote:
Four dojos from this sites dojo locator are 11.3, 8.3, 8.2 & 7.5 miles away from the U. A bicycle will get you there shortly. Walking will get you there eventually. Running will get you there in less than 2 hours. Just how badly do you want to get there?
Really bad.

I thought about running there Tuesday and Thursday. However I need to consider this carefully, cause I'm still a full-time college student. I might just end up trying it out next week. Thanks for the inspirational push. I guess sometimes we just need to decide what we want and make the sacrifice
Old 11-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Really bad.

I thought about running there Tuesday and Thursday. However I need to consider this carefully, cause I'm still a full-time college student. I might just end up trying it out next week. Thanks for the inspirational push. I guess sometimes we just need to decide what we want and make the sacrifice
Well, yes...but those words are more than inspiring-sounding rhetoric. "Sacrifice" isn't just talk, it means giving something up, something real. What are you willing and able to sacrifice? The travel time is not significant (a bike will get you to any of those pretty quickly), but can you spend the two or three hours out of your day that you'd need to train? Are your academics good enough that you can afford to do that?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #37
Basia Halliop
Canada

The distances don't sound like that big a deal, by bike (my own preferred mode of transportation ). And you get cardio training, for free!

I agree though, time may be a factor. You need to figure out how much time you need to do your schoolwork well, what other things you want to do with your remaining time, etc.

I don't think it's 'bad' if you decide you need to focus on other priorities at the moment. But OTOH it certainly looks possible at least in theory to train a couple of times a week elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #38
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Why don't you call a few of the dojos that you may want to train with and ask them if they have any students out your way that may be able to help you out with transportation - you could contribute to gas costs, etc. You might be surprised how cooperative and friendly Aikido people are

Greg

Last edited by gregstec : 11-12-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
Travers Hughes
Dojo: Aikikai
Australia

Quote:
What sacrifice? Getting there is part of the training. It is not a sacrifice if you're doing "what you are in love with" (your words - back them up, or quite the melodrama). Go to these classes, or don't. It's your choice. Seems to me like you're after validation of your excuses.
Reality check: There are millions of people in the world that work full time / attend college OR BOTH, and still are able to train / raise families / work second and third jobs etc. What's stopping you from being one of these people? (Not being harsh, there may be a reasonable explanation, but you do need to understand that your difficulties are not so big in the scheme of things...)
Best of luck in your endeavours.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #40
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Why don't you call a few of the dojos that you may want to train with and ask them if they have any students out your way that may be able to help you out with transportation - you could contribute to gas costs, etc. You might be surprised how cooperative and friendly Aikido people are

Greg
My first thought too. Or post something on campus bulletin board.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #41
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
My first thought too. Or post something on campus bulletin board.
Kimchee fueled minds think a like

Greg
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #42
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Kimchee fueled minds think a like

Greg
How did you know what I had for mid afternoon meal?!

Janet Rosen
Old 11-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #43
Dalaran1991
France

Just come back from a dojo in the city After reading some post here earlier, I decided to screw all this and jump on a bus that would take me down town. There's no bus to go back though and I expected to spend 2 hours to walk back in the night, but I also got 2 hours of training that makes me feel alive. This is what I've been missing for so long. The thrill of the throw, the smoothness of working with aikido people, the rituals and stuff... I should have done this much sooner.

I might think about getting a bike and going there more regularly. Commuting time will take a big chunks out of my studies, but I can no longer study without training anyway.

Funny thing is, my sempai whom I talked about in the OP came to pick me up, got real angry and insisted that I don't do that again. But I know what I want now and what I need to do
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #44
HL1978
Dojo: Aunkai
United_States

Like i said earlier, look into kizeme as expressed in kendo. Theres a better photo than the one out there which shows the ki expressed between the two non touching opponents. Someone looking a the motion jpeg in that link would probably think its just good waza.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #45
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
I might think about getting a bike and going there more regularly. Commuting time will take a big chunks out of my studies, but I can no longer study without training anyway.
dude! moped! it's in our dna.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #46
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Funny thing is, my sempai whom I talked about in the OP came to pick me up, got real angry and insisted that I don't do that again. But I know what I want now and what I need to do
That is SUCH a huge "run away and stay away from him" moment...m.a. should not be a cult, and when it becomes that controlling it means it is primed for abuse.

I bet if you take the bus a couple of times and really show an interest, somebody may be ready and willing to drive you back.

Janet Rosen
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #47
Basia Halliop
Canada

If you ride a bike there even some of the time, IMO it's time well spent. Great exercise and a little forced time outdoors every day. Depends how much longer it makes your day and what your other options are, but you may find it an efficient way to do more than one thing at once (get somewhere + exercise + relax).

Don't train so much you neglect your schoolwork though -- that would be a waste of the time/money/effort it's taken you to be where you are.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #48
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Commuting time will take a big chunks out of my studies, but I can no longer study without training anyway.
I hope you're merely being dramatic here, and I hope you have the perspective to realize it before you do too much harm to your studies. If not, it sounds like a learning disability, and there are probably resources on campus to help you develop an adaptive learning strategy. No, I'm not being facetious, or making fun of you, or making fun of people with learning disabilities. If you're having trouble with your studies, you should address that head on, find the root of the problem and deal with it. A strategy of avoidance and retreat into more pleasurable activities is a recipe for failure.

It's also possible that college is simply not for you. Again, this is something that should be dealt with head-on, rather than "deciding" by avoidance and ultimately flunking out. There's nothing wrong with deciding not to go to college, unless the reason why is because it's too much work of a type that you don't want to do. Unless you're independently wealthy, you'll get a bellyful of that kind of work in life, and you won't be able to opt out of it like you can get out of organic chem at the add-drop.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #49
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
As I said before, your sempai needs to take a lot of ukemi.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #50
TokyoZeplin
Dojo: Seishinkan Dojo
Denmark

From a scientific point of view (aka, what has actually been proven):

Empathy exists. It exists in everyone except sociopaths/psychopaths/etc. It is the natural ability of a human to be able to connect to another persons feelings. We do this by hearing what they say, judging how they look, and so forth. It is possible for people, with enough experience, to start being able to get an idea of a persons intentions, at times, without actually being told what they are.
Taking this further is what is referred to as instinct or "gut feeling". This is what happens when your mind starts connecting the dots, without you realizing it. This is based on experience and previous encounters of a similar nature.
This is basically what Lynn Seiser described.

With that said, being able to feel a persons energy, without seeing/hearing them, is not possible. Or at least it has never been scientifically proved in the history of human kind. It has been claimed by many, but has yet to be proven. While there is some pseudo-theoretical basis for it (the human brain gives off energy, you could "read" this energy), I would be more than extremely sceptic of anyone claiming such power. But of course, if they are willing to demonstrate it to you, under controlled circumstances, you have a potential Nobel on your hands