Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-27-2002, 08:41 AM   #1
"AnonymousChris"
IP Hash: 860ba2d2
Anonymous User
knackers your knees?

(Posted anonymously since I barely frequent this site, nor am I an aikido student :-)

I have heard that there is a more than usual risk of 'wearing your knees out' (whatever that means - maybe depleting cartilidge - that kind of thing) through practicing aikido. Any truth in this? If so, what bad practices iyo bring this about? Are they avoidable (without stopping training!)

There's no injury forum here - do such discussions normally end up on a particular board?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-27-2002, 08:56 AM   #2
akiy

Hmm... An injury discussion forum. I'll have to think about that.

Any way, this thread has been moved to the General section (for now). I would like to remind people that the Anonymous forum is not intended for people who don't want to register but want to post -- it is intended for "delicate" subject matters for which people want to keep their identities from being revealed. I encourage people to keep this in mind before posting on the Anonymous forum as that purpose is not what this forum was created for.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:40 AM   #3
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
knackers for knees?

As someone who has had carteledge regrown in the knees, I can say that Aikido will not affect your knees as much as force falls of judo, or the striking mistakes of karate.

Once you learn to sit in seiza, somewhat comfortably, you will, in fact, think the years have melted away to a younger time ... that and the water pill I take for Meniere's pretty much took away all the pains from my early arthritus? But knees only get stronger with learning to practice Aikido, ask anyone who has more than a couple of years of practice can vouch for that?

If your weakness of knees persists, don't forget to support both knees, it really increases stress whe you don't use equilateral support, and healing is quicker, also. The fact is, my hips, knees, and joints actually clicked/snapped during the first year of Aikido ... all gone now. Go try a couple of months of Aikido ... don't forget to mention injuries if you have them, they will find ways to work around them. Have fun.
Old 03-29-2002, 08:20 PM   #4
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Bruce,

I'm not sure about the others around here, but injuries for me is a true hindrance and nuisance. Not to mention painful.

I probably had bad knees and I still do have bad ankles especially the right one due to an old football injury.

I was interested that you actually recovered from a knee injury involving the cartilege. Most ppl don't. Sitting seiza is still painful, but with warmups and an ankle brace, its now more than bearable.

What are the things, exercises, supplements or otherwise, you would advice for me to do/take in order to defeat the injury as you have done?

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:00 AM   #5
Anat Amitay
Dojo: Nes- Ziona, "the red house"
Israel
knee injuries

I've been training for 2.5 years now, having knee problems for 2 years.
Actually I hurt one knee in a seminar while working with someone I didn't know. There were so many people on the mat that the sensei decided on one technique NOT to throw back but only take out of balance. So my partner did throw me and as not to hurt those behind me, I jammed my knee into the tatemi...
The other knee got hurt half a year later in quite the same manner.
They healed by themselves, in about 4 monthes (knees take time) and I didn't take any medication or knee protectors.
For a different reason (nothing to do with aikido at all) I got an inflammation half a year ago, and have been practising with knee protectors ever since.
If one trains right, knee problems should not occur. You might like to train more on walking correctly on your knees (a few minutes before or after class) it will show great results in the long run. Have your teacher correct your walk (you should not throw down your knee on the mat but more slide it down. it takes alot of training to get it good). Also work on your rolls, so you don't land on your knees.
I'm not sure if you wear out your knees in aikido. Maybe aikido has more techniques on knees than other MA (but I don't know).
Still, if you are careful and workout correctly, I don't think you need to get hurt.
There are people in our dojo training for longer years than me and they have no knee problems.
Anat
Old 04-02-2002, 09:28 AM   #6
Bruce Baker
Dojo: LBI Aikikai/LBI ,NJ
Knackers for knee's

It took about ten years to get all the knee carteledge regrown, with out surgery, letting the body naturally replace it. That, along with standing at a workbench. I worked standing, in and about Outboard boat engines. I fixed them for most of twenty plus years really which made my legs into stretched rubber band muscles. It was painful to sit crosslegged for the first three years of Karate and seiza didn't become possible until my third year of Aikido ... damn legs wouldn't bend that way. Old and stiff.

There are simple strengtening exercises, like lifting your leg slightly while sitting and extend your foot until it is like a horizontal kick. About fifty times per leg, until you are tired or any pains begin. Lower/lesser repetitions when you begin, until you can literally do a sitting kick as face level.

If your knees are really bad, then simply sliding your foot on the floor until your leg is straight will begin to stretch and strengthen the muscles around the injury.

I think I spent two years putting ice/heat on my knees before I started the exercise method that finally eliminated much of the pain. It is not an easy quick process. Wearing two leg supports helped when one knee was weak. Especially, get good foot supports that help your arch and back ... it's bad enough to have barking knee's.

Never be afraid to sit out practice if it is too much, and I don't mean seiza or crosslegged, but in a chair off the mat.

One morning you will get up and get going with any supports and wonder why you forgot them?

Exercise, diet, and check with your doctor about the effects of a water pill that takes water out of the joints. I can't remember what it is called, but when I started it for water imbalance in my ears for Meniere's, it cured the clicking, clacking almost like I was getting younger. The seiza ... that, as I say, took me over three years of slow stretching.

Start before you are forty six, it should come a lot easier, quicker. Cheers.
Old 04-03-2002, 04:34 AM   #7
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
Thanks... appreciate it.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.