Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #351
Buck
United_States
Re: Who Sez O'Sensei Was Wise!

Now, more importantly, once we see a connection with O'Sensei using a Shinto and Omote to code the secrets of technique, something I referred to as being complexed over that of other martial arts kuns, we start to understand a truth. A truth likely over looked if we didn't question.

If we settle and sit comfortably assuming what we are told to be the truth about Aikido that has been filtered down etc. or fabricate assumptions of the meaning behind words like, "love" and not take into account the gap in language and culture, then we are missing a huge part of Aikido. So what I am saying is, we need to look at the spiritual side as being blended into the technical side, fabricated without having seamless, and both elements dependent on each other. This seems to hold true based on the way many things in Japan are done, especially budo. It is a great way to hide things as well, e.g., the act breathing with body movement. All of which can be symbolize with Ying and Yang/ Izu and Mizu.

It is this poem I look at for proof of that:

Come to appreciate the perfect balance of "Izu and Mizu:" the 'Cross of Aiki'
Then through the voice of the positive advance courageously.

Now let's parallel the poem to technique 93. Kokyu, (Ryote (Both Hands)) in the book, "Budo Training in Aikido." As you can see there is a parallel between the poem and the technique. The poem it self can be applied to many techniques. Therefore, as this is true, so is the relation to O'Sensei's spiritual message, which both technique and spiritual can't be separated nor over-looked.

Now here are some spiritual quotes we all know that relate now to my point and points in several of my posts:

Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead. The Art of Peace is a celebration of the bonding of heaven, earth, and humankind. It is all that is true, good, and beautiful.

Consider the ebb and flow of the tide. When waves come to strike the shore, they crest and fall, creating a sound. your breath should follow the same pattern, absorbing the entire universe in your belly with each inhalation. Know that we all have access to four treasures: the energy of the sun and moon, the breath of heaven, the breath of earth, and the ebb and flow of the tide.

As we can see how things work as a "family" under one roof, and not separated into divisions. Where spiritual lends to how technique is done and it's secrets and visa versa. All based on a commonly used Japanese model use by O'Sensei- which I discussed before this.

Therefore, by looking at Aikido in this manner, we see a truth. Or at least we should. And we understand that Aikido isn't built on a western model, or ideas of that we want to shape it into, to reflect to fit our personal beliefs, or agendas. And by doing so is not looking at the original, and instead is creating myths, and distorations of what Aikido is and it's complexity.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #352
Buck
United_States

In the same book look at technique 52., as implied before, read the directives and look at the illustrations. Then compare it to this passage, "Come to appreciate the perfect balance of "Izu and Mizu:" the 'Cross of Aiki' Then through the voice of the positive advance courageously."

You should be able to see that the poem is part of the directives, that the first part of the book, the poems, relates to the techniques.

Last edited by Buck : 04-16-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #353
Buck
United_States

Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead. The Art of Peace is a celebration of the bonding of heaven, earth, and humankind. It is all that is true, good, and beautiful.

I believe this a Steven's translation- which I think if it is, does more harm than good. But never the less, the first thing stated is "Life is growth." I want to focus on that. Since I don't read Japanese, I am betting very heavily on that "Life growth" is the translation of the Japanese of the Japanese Post WWII philosophy of Kaizen. Betting heavily again the concept of Kaizen is an old wine in a new bottle thing- it is probably a budo concept based from a buddhist concept by another name. If this is true here again is O'Sensei pulling on other Japanese stuff to build Aikido. It was not his own wisdom but rather in time with the changes going at that time in Japan. Also, Kaizen is an element and an approach in the physical training. Showing that O'Sensei had no duality when it came to the physical and the spiritual as stated in the quote above.

This is what Iam saying by practicing Aikido as O'Sensei intended, and when I refer to the word "original" in my later posts.

Last edited by Buck : 04-16-2009 at 06:51 PM.