Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
Terss
Japan
Searching for an Ehime Dojo

First let me apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum, but I looked and this seemed the most appropriate.

I am a new JET stationed in Uchiko town, in Ehime prefecture, in Shikoku, Japan. I've been an aikidoka in the U.S. for four years or so before moving to Japan and I am having a hard time finding an Aikido dojo in my area. After asking everyone around me not only about Aikido, but also Jujitsu, Judo, and Kendo, I've resigned myself to the fact that I am going to have to commute to Matsuyama (the capital city) if I want to continue practicing martial arts.

Does anyone know of/has heard of/practice at an Aikido dojo in Ehime prefecture?? For that matter, please let me know of ANY dojos in Shikoku. I already did a search on AikiWeb with no luck....domo arigato gozaimashita!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 AM   #2
6th Kyu For Life
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, Oberlin Ohio. Utah Aikikai, Salt Lake City, Utah.
United_States
Re: Searching for an Ehime Dojo

Kirsten-

Hello fellow JET. I'm about to move to Kyushu myself, and am looking for a dojo there. But funny you should ask about a dojo in Ehime. My good friend and sempai has been living as a JET in Ehime for two years. I think the name of the town he was in was called Oizumi or Koizumi. He is still in Ehime, but left JET, and is moving to Matsuyama to teach. (I think so he can be closer to Aikido) Anyway, if you pm me I'll send you his contact info. Good luck.

Peace,
Tom N.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

Here is a link of all the dojos in Ehime. The site is in japanese, but maybe you can get someone to help you find one close to you. I was a JET in Osaka, and when I first came, no one could help to find a dojo. People just don't know where to look I guess. good luck.
http://www.aikido.ne.jp/dojo/ehime.html

Last edited by nekobaka : 08-14-2007 at 07:52 PM. Reason: forgot the link
Old 08-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
Carl Thompson

Japan

It took me almost a year to find an Aikikai dojo in Shizuoka-ken and I almost got arrested when I eventually tried to enter it (it was inside the airbase). Then I had to leave Japan, so I never got to train there.

Funniest of all was arriving here in Ibaraki (as a JET funnily enough). Aikido? What's aikido? Just as well I could find Iwama on my own.

If you have any trouble reading that website, you might want to run it through www.rikai.com
Old 08-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
nagoyajoe

Dojo: Kokikai Hombu Shushinkan Dojo, Nagoya
Japan

Hello Kirsten and Yokoso! Welcome to Japan. I hope your dojo search is going well. I have several links for you...maybe they can help.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/RENSEI/sub22.htm
http://e-u-aikido.hp.infoseek.co.jp/
http://www8.ocn.ne.jp/~aikido/e-index.htm
http://www.m.ehime-u.ac.jp/school/st...ido/aikido.htm

In my years here, as long as you have health insurance and a letter of recommendation, most university clubs will allow you to practice. Especially in inaka Japan, the university will welcome extra English practice/skills!

Best of luck.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

Quote:
Kirsten Bonson wrote: View Post
I am a new JET stationed in Uchiko town, in Ehime prefecture, in Shikoku, Japan.
I am sorry for my ignorance, Kerstin, but what is a JET. Even wikipedia didn't provide a satisfactory result.

Regards Dirk
Old 08-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #7
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

JET: The Japan Exchange and Teaching Program
Old 08-18-2007, 05:30 AM   #8
Terss
Japan

Hey all!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, just yesterday I finally had the net installed in my apartment (woot!).

Thank you so much for the help! I honestly didn't know if I'd get any replies at all and it looks like many of you are JET alumns! May sound silly, but it really feels great hearing from other aikidoka JETs.

I'm about to check out those links right now and, if you'd like, I will post when I do finally find a place (which I am absolutely determined to, military bases be damned *wink*). Thanks so much again!