Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-09-2000, 11:05 PM   #1
sceptoor
Dojo: http://ctr.usf.edu/aikido/
I HATE to even bring this up......however......what do you guys mean when you mention "style"??

Isn't Aikido, AIKIDO?? I realize there are different organizations, but Aikido doesn't really strike me as having different "styles". The "Ki Society" is a little different than say, ASU, Tenshin or USAF---but "styles"???

Please explain??

Christopher Martin
University of South Florida Aikido Club
Old 12-10-2000, 01:04 AM   #2
SeiWhat?!?
Dojo: Long Beach State Univ. Seidokan Aikido Club
Yes, Aikido at its core is the same, wherever you practice. We all follow the same principles and practice in the same spirit of O'Sensei.

The different "styles", IMO, refer to the small differences. For example, Seidokan (the style I practice) does not usually practice atemi or have the need for uke to do a break fall to save him/herself from a technique, unlike Aikikai.
There are probably a lot of other differences, but I don't know enough about the other styles to comment.

Hmmmm, this could get interesting. If you don't mind sceptoor, I'd like to add to this thread:

If your dojo practices anything you think is unique, I'd like to know.

I hope I'm not way off base in my reply. If I am, I apologize.

P.S. Seidokan has its roots in Ki Society.

Best advise I've ever received:
"Don't just stand there, do SOMETHING! The fact that you may have failed doesn't matter, it's HOW you failed. Go down swingin'."

Scott Tanaka
Old 12-10-2000, 04:51 AM   #3
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I have previously trained in 'styles' where I have thought the aikido ineffective. I think every individual walks a different path in aikido. You have to be sincere to yourself and make sure what you are doing means something to you.

I consider myself to come from a different 'style' from the instructor I currently learn from. However it is teaching me a lot about my previous assumptions in combat (although I have not forgotten previous tips). Courses are great for getting an insight into what other people are doing, but at the end of the day aikido is your own and no-one elses; I like to try everything and work out what's best for me.

Ian
Old 12-10-2000, 11:54 AM   #4
Nick
United_States
I think all of the different "styles" came about, simply because as ntoed above everyone interprets Aikido differently... the last thing O'sensei said to my sensei the last time he saw him was, "Make Aikido better, but don't change the principles. Whatever you do, don't stray from the path of aiki". Which is what these instructors are trying to do. Incorporate their experiences and knowledge into their Aikido to try to improve it, but not to change it so much that it is no longer Aikido.

My "style" of Aikido, in the Wadokai organization, shows my Sensei's experience in karate, using kicks as atemi if needed, along with jujutsu and ne-waza, with kick defense, etc. That is how he improved Aikido, and hopefully we in the coming years can do the same.

Nick