Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #51
Amendes
Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
Hi every 1
Actually the title is an advice from some martial artists who I meet weekly in our dojo. We have many different martial arts sessions going every day in that dojo like karate, taekwando, judo, jeet kune do and kung fu (wing chun). we always talk about martial arts and their effectiveness in real situations like street fighting.

They almost made me desperate and disappointed of Aikido.
Here are some of their quotations:
"Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
" you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
" aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
" aikido is only good for seminars and demonstrations"
" aikido is too traditional, no body use sword in our world today"
" aikido is a philosophy more than a combat way"
etc……

I didn't lose my faith in aikido, but between u and me aren't they have right in some thoughts???

Is aikido useful and effective in real situation and against other martial arts?
Thanks that made my day.
I got my eyes filled with tears. Not from sadness but from shear laughfter.

Anyone who says Aikido is a waste of time should come try lessons at our school.

As for grabbing in real fights, while sorry to say I been in my share of real fights, and I can't remember any that didn't end in some sort of grab or on the ground. Just because you practice a technique from a grab does not mean it has to be from one. As for attack, we have atemi in our techniques at the intermediate and advanced levels, however we do not bring this up to the beginner levels.

Anyways I can counter all those arguments that are there and take up my whole coffee break, but I'd rather just finish my coffee, since we have all seen them before.

My advice is keep to your Aikido and don't listen to other peoples opinions on what they don't know.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #52
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

After just getting back from seeing Saotome Shihan for the first time; I have a totally different perspective of Aikido. It is most definitely a combat art just like any other, with some great philosophy to boot! It should be a "martial" art after all.

Saotome Shihan made us work on kicks for a whole class on the "Aikido Cruise."
Some people did really well with kicks, but a lot of people felt out of place. To me, kicks (done right) are very Aiki. I think if we start defining Aikido through never doing atemi and just doing set techniques, the martial aspect of the art will die. If you are talking to anyone who has boxing, fighting, and general MMA experience...they will tell you atemi is more than critical. I am going to start training in atemi again...because it is just as vital to the whole martial art as a good irimi nage. IMO, throws are secondary defenses; moving the body and atemi are the primary. Wow, everytime I go to a seminar my respect and love for Aikido and it's effectiveness and philosophy rise even higher.

BTW, one of the kick defenses (front snap kick) we did involved moving off the line and catching the leg then doing an open hand strike to the throat of the attacker. We also practiced an elbow strike to the soft spot right above the knee from the same attack and evasion. As far as using kicks for defense goes, we did a side kick to defend from middle or high punch...that is one of my favorites...and very effcient indeed. So, to all those people that say Aikido has no martial aspect or kicks...they just have not been exposed to that part of the art yet. IMO, Aikido is the most comprehensive martial art because anything can be Aikido! O' Sensei wanted his art to be dynamic and I'm glad to see some people stepping up to the plate.

Last edited by MitchMZ : 01-28-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:50 PM   #53
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Don’t waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Mitch!

Did ya get any pics? UGH! I wanted to go on that cruise so bad....

Next year, if it kills me! I'm gonna be there and FORCE my wife to enjoy it.

POST PICS!!

Old 01-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #54
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

Yeah, I can send u some pics if u like...I'm just in the process of unpacking today I should have them on my comp by tonight.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 PM   #55
djalley
United_States

I think aikido is dissed in the martial arts world because it has a very slow "ramp up" time to become truly proficient in the art.

When I took tae kwon do when younger, I learned to kick and punch, which my young mind associated with strength and effectiveness. These kicks and punches were learned quickly, and "mastered" quickly. I can remember doing axe kicks and spinning back kicks as effectively as black belts when I was a green belt. Yes, I had some inherent talent at these kicks, but nonetheless I was able to "master" them enough to use if needed very quickly.

Aikido is very definitive, very "mental" and very final. The techniques, simply put, end a confrontation because the pins are more absolute. This ability to do these techniques correctly comes at a price. The effectiveness of an aikidoka has a very slow "ramp up" time when compared to other martial arts. It catches up to and suprasses the effectiveness of other arts much later. But if an equally experienced black belt between aikido and other arts were to "spar", my money would be on the aikidoka.

I'd look at the people who say not to waste their time with aikido and realize it is a modern mind behind the statements, set on more instant gratification, sold on the concept of ultra-fitness, and lacking the Wisdom to make the distinction between immediate return and effectiveness.

D
Old 05-23-2005, 09:15 PM   #56
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

"ok, well since when was everyone young or athletic or strong? Does this mean that after a certain age you're not allowed to learn how to defend yourself? And even so, if Aikido doesn't require fitness doesn't that show how effective it is, that you don't need to spend hours in a gym to be able to block or side-step a punch?"

I totally agree with what you said there!
Old 05-23-2005, 09:58 PM   #57
eyrie

Australia

I had a kid ask me on his 2nd lesson about belts and gradings. His 2nd lesson!

His elder brother, who had watched one aikido lesson, and participated in one, had also done TKD up to green belt (whatever that means these days), could not even move for sh*t. And he wanted to know if we did kata, sparred or "self-defense"... tsk tsk.

Apparently, the fact that we did (or rather didn't, in his limited world view) and he could not see "how", was sufficiently enough to convince him that aikido was "useless". Apparently, he could not see why he needed to learn ukemi.

I later learnt that the word from their dad (who did karate), was that what "we do" was not "serious".
I haven't seen the kid turn up again in weeks. So I guess, we're just not "good enough". Ah well.

Perhaps if I had "beat them up and hurt them good" on their first lesson they would have been convinced of the "effectiveness" of aikido. Totally counter to the entire philosophy, but nonetheless a necessary "marketing evil".

I dunno.....I just dunno....

Ignatius
Old 05-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #58
Usagi
Dojo: ShinToKai
There are various levels of "efficiency".

The whole issue "competition: to be or not to be" is exactly over this.

When you have competition people tend to make a confusion; they tend to believe that testing a technique with a partner equals fighting with an opponent.

It is like saying that picking up vegetables at the local supermarket is just the same as recognizing them among other plants in a desert island at which you are lost.

It may seem similar, but the consequences of each action are far more dangerous.

In real combat size, strength and technique are of lesser relevance; it is the proper mindset and willingness to go as far as turns out to be necessary that make the difference (and luck too!).

For this reason some school thought unwise to allow their students to keep a practice that might lead them to see combat as being the same as dueling over victory.

But since modern martial artists are basically a bunch of guys who like to train in skills that they never actually use (even those in police and military, as contexts change), new ways of evaluating were emphasized, one of them being competition.

As mentioned by Mr Ignatius, the background of those students maybe made Aikido incomprehensible to them.

Actually, even if you had "showed them" i don't believe that they would get the idea...

About some claims within this topic over fitness...well, i apologize for the next lines, that are kind of "preaching", but i must say that i worry about it...alot.

Basically i lost my father because he allowed himself to lose his health over bad habits, like over caloric diet and lack of exercise.

I see people over and over again explaining me how the have hormonal problems or genetic disposition to gain weigh...sorry, but the human body doesn't convert O into fat; it needs extra income of food.

And from a martial perspective i tend to believe that it is easier to train with a lighter body.

Extra pounds necessarily mean eating more than necessary and pushing the heart a little too hard..why not be kinder to our own bodies? And exercise some frugality in the process?

This is not something unique to Aikido...it is very common to athletes, after ending their competitive careers to gain weigh and lose some stamina...it is like if they had lost their motivation to keep a balance between eating and exercising.

I am not talking about six-pack abs.

I am talking about keeping a sharp eye for cholesterol, diabetes, flexibility, cardio-respiratory adaptive responses...in one word: HEALTH.

I don't think someone who trains Aikido should end his days with a cardio condition, diabetes and/or stiff as a barrel...at least i'll try my best not to

Last edited by Usagi : 05-24-2005 at 12:17 AM. Reason: some sentences were confuse

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and i- i took the one less traveled by,- and that has made all the diference!"
Old 05-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #59
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Renato,

You have highlighted an important issue about Self-Defense that many in this forum ignored. Self Defense also include defense against illness and diseases.

I see people around me living in such unhealthy state all the time. Some of my customers (I work in the health-care business), being over-weight and pretty unfit, come to see me for advise about some quick fix to their weight problems. They expect some magical pills, slimming creams, wonderful gizmo that they hope when attached to their stomach and a power outlet will produce some super electro magnetics field that will exercise the muscle and burn fats while watching more TV or play more PS2 and munching away more potato crisps.

Despite telling them the truth that exercise and healthy diet will probably do wonders to their body, these people are still clinging onto fantasies.

I know, we are losing the battle of the bulge, but I try anyway... <sigh>.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:30 AM   #60
ikkitosennomusha

Hi there! I feel everyone has done a great job answering your question so instead of breaking down your statements and concernes as previously done, let me say a word.

Basically this is a dilema between aikido and lets say, karate. You might ask yourself what are some differences whitout getting too technical. Lets explore that for a moment.

We will start with karate. Karate as we know is a form of self defense (I do not wish to refer to an MA as combat) that is stacatto in nature and classical in style. This hand to hand denfense is classical because it is probably one of the very first systems of defense. I find this method crude for several reasons. In karate, the strongest and fastest will always prevail. Also, anytime your center is unstable, it is too easy to take. What I mean is when karate guy throw you a kick and that foot comes off the ground, nothing more than a litle nudge will send him to the ground by way of several physical properties but the main thing is that your aiki skill is there to understand how to do this properly. In karate, the blocks and deflections are dated as well. when someone come in shomenuchi with a tanto and a karate person comes in with a high block, flesh will be severed in the forearm region (in theory).

Does this mean I feel karate is all together bad? Of course not. I would like to see small children start out in karate to learn there kicks and punches so they can already be a good uke. Granted they will have to unlearn what they have learned but I believe that for young kids, karate is a good place to start so that when they are ready for aikido, there will be something there to work with and they will gradually understand the diffrerence.

There are other MA like Jujitsu where grappling is key. I could go on and point some things out but others have probably already touched on this issue.

Aikido is more than a MA, it is a way of life. Aikido is something useable and practical even when you do reach geriatric years. This mean it is a life long art that is applicable. I cannot image me being able to do a spinning back kick at 95 but aiki principles are useable at any age. I find, me personally, aikido to be the most effective ideology. To each there own and whatever works for you but, aikido, again in my opinion, is 99% flawless only because it would be ridiculous to say 100% of anyting is unflawed.

In aikido, I can initiate a conflict as well as anyone else so saying that I have to wait upon the attacker is unfound. Also, aikido is spiritual in nature to bring you in harmony with nautre,yourself, the world, your surroundings, etc. and is good for your health and immunity. etc.

Yes, aikido takes time and patience and is a life long study and the results do not come quick like in karate but it is well worth the endeavor (I will not elaborate on why I feel karate is like going through a drive through). One could go on and on as to why aikido is worth the study. Good luck with the criticism and if you keep training, you will be in a better place than your foes.

I hopes this helps a little and does not offend karate advocates.

Last edited by ikkitosennomusha : 05-24-2005 at 08:33 AM. Reason: typo, cannot spell today, hehe
Old 05-24-2005, 09:02 AM   #61
sjhill1980
Dojo: Community Aikido
United_States

I dont want to sound bad or nothing but im sick of people saying how in effective aikido is i have been a bouncer in a night club for 5 yrs and the first 2 yrs i had no aikido training just wing chun and tae kwon do. After 3 yrs of aikido my whole concept has changed instead of squaring of with people and being a hot head all the time i am now alot more calm and centered. Trust me from somebody who see's alot of action on a regular basis aikido works very well and i invite anyone who doubts it to come to our dojo and tell my sensei it dont work and let them find for themselves. I read a great quote on here once and I loved it "Your Aikido doesnt work mine seems to be working feine"
Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 AM   #62
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

There are many things about learning Aikido that are truly useful. I won't get into any of the non martial of them (however there are lots and lots!) I will only discuss the martial. It is ineffective to talk about fighting from an unarmed stand point. If your life is really on the line (the only time you should consider fighting for real) you or your attacker are going to be armed, and likely both of you. This means that you or they will probably have a stick, or knife. No one uses swords anymore, is a pretty valid statement, however lots of people use baseball bats, or pool cues, or chair legs, etc etc, many of the techniques in Aiki sword work, and the techniques to deal with swords while empty handed translate perfectly to being attacked with these weapons. Aikido is a weapons system, and weapons are how mankind fight when they are not toying about. Other fights not involving weapons are generally not serious matters, they are some kind of ego contest, and show of male bravado. These things are best kept to a ring, where it's a nice safe environment to compete in such a manor. Real fighting involves getting something done: taking your money, taking your wife, taking your life. That is what real fighting is about, I'm always armed, I never fight.

-Chris Hein
Old 06-01-2005, 11:14 PM   #63
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States

Guys,

Here is just the obvious. I know plenty of guys that do not train in any Martial system. They almost never get into any violent situations either. Doesn't mean they won't, but most of the time we are not whipping the guy next to us. One interesting stat claimed that most people would be in a position where their life would be threatened with physicl force at least once in their life time.

I teach and I train for many reasons. One of the most important reasons is that training in Aikido, Jiu-jitsu, and Judo is simply a lot of fun!!! You meet people you would not meet in other sports or activities. One of my friends, who is an expert at Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, swears that something has to be mentally wrong with a person who wishes to train in Jiu-jitsu or Judo (because those systems can be so very un-gentle). I often joke about what that guy was smoking when he came up with the name JUdo. Perhaps, he had a talent for sarcasm. No, Judo can be gentle. For example, after you've been choked out, you usually have nice dreams. I am going to get in trouble, so I am going to be quiet now.

Red Beetle
www.kingsportjudo.com
Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 AM   #64
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
"Aikido doesn't require fitness so most aikido players are old, fat and not strong enough"
" you can not attack in aikido you just receiving and waiting what the attackers will do"
" many aikido techniques depend on grabbing which is rarely happen in real fights"
" aikido focuses on hands to applying its techniques and ignores the rest of the body, no kicks no punches no jumping"
etc……
Heehee All I can say is: Don´t waste your time justifying aikido.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:14 AM   #65
Michael Meister
Dojo: South Hetton
United Kingdom

Quote:
Sonja McGough wrote:
Heehee All I can say is: Don´t waste your time justifying aikido.
Good point. There is only one basic reason, why you should practice Aikido, that one being, you enjoy it. everything else is secondary.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #66
aikigirl10
Dojo: Aikido of Ashland
United_States

Being in good shape is the choice of the individual. If you can be in bad shape and still do aikido then more power to you. Of course , being in shape can make everything easier.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #67
stratos patsakis
Greece

why people are not open minded?aikido is a very good martial art!most martial arts masters here in greece think the same waY!why?if a martial art has something to teach me i will practise it even if i'm teaching taekwondo or hapkido or karate or anything!!!if you want to punch and kick it's not diffucult!!if you combine aikido with punches and kicks it will be so effective!!!i believe that many aikido masters have thought this and teach this way!!steven seagal is a very good example!!!!don't say that aikido is not good beacause it has no punch and kick!!!think that taekwondo has only kicking!!!!so taekwondo is useless too?no!you combine taekwondo kicks with boxing so you are very good fighter!and if you change a little bit the way you kick like thai boxing kicks then it's very good!
so somebody will ask me what about groundfighting?if we continue like this we must learn 10 differenet martial arts!!!please martial people be open minden and try new things and practise them with different ways!all martial arts have something to give to us!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #68
wxyzabc
England

I would say dont waste your time discussing the effectiveness of aikido....if you're unlucky one day you will find out for yourself whether it works for you or not..

Lee
Old 07-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #69
theflyingheadbuttsuplex
Dojo: Aikido Institute Davis
United_States
Do symbol Re: Don't waste your time practicing AIKIDO

Quote:
Khaled Abdullah wrote:
Hi every 1
Actually the title is an advice from some martial artists who I meet weekly in our dojo. We have many different martial arts sessions going every day in that dojo like karate, taekwando, judo, jeet kune do and kung fu (wing chun). we always talk about martial arts and their effectiveness in real situations like street fighting.

They almost made me desperate and disappointed of Aikido.
Here are some of their quotations:
etc……

I didn't lose my faith in aikido, but between u and me aren't they have right in some thoughts???

Is aikido useful and effective in real situation and against other martial arts?

These people you speak of know nothing about aikido. What makes their words valid?

I think all of these are people pushing you down to feel better about themselves. Rather than strive to progress, they feed their egos by pushing you down.

If there is no wind, row!
Old 07-13-2005, 02:24 PM   #70
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

I would disagree that the time to find out if something works is when you face physical violence. The time to find out is to train properly in realisitc training if this is your cup of tea, or concern.

I don't really study aikido much to prepare me for a "real fight (tm)". I study it to make me a better martial artist, which in turn prepares me to be a better more balance person, which prepares me to deal with conflict. I study other things to be good at fighting skills. (if that makes sense! )
Old 07-14-2005, 09:36 PM   #71
theflyingheadbuttsuplex
Dojo: Aikido Institute Davis
United_States
Eek! Re:oops

Quote:
Burt Masem wrote:

These people you speak of know nothing about aikido. What makes their words valid?

I think all of these are people pushing you down to feel better about themselves. Rather than strive to progress, they feed their egos by pushing you down.
Please note that this was refering to the people that khaled was describing. NOT to the people posting on this thread.

If there is no wind, row!
Old 07-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #72
Randathamane
United Kingdom

Aikido <takes a deep breath>

Lets set the record strait...... Here we go.

Quote:
Try taking a grading above 4th kyu in a non fit state. aikido takes allot of movement to do- lots of movement requires allot of energy. Lots of energy expenditure is good for keeping in shape and getting fit if it is expended in the right way. Any aikido sensei can get you fit- all you have to do is Ukemi for an hour or so plus something dynamicc like Iriminage Ura for another hour for 3 weeks straight (PLEASE GOD SENSEIDON'TT READ THIS [ because he will make me do it]).

aikido itself teaches us that strength is not an issue if you want to escape someone. The best tactical solution is always where you reap the highest gain for the lowest cost.Therefor- in most situations when the MikeTyson equivalent gets annoyed at you- retreat is always a valid and honorable option.

Quote:
You can attack. don't follow the technique through- break it off half way when Uke is off balancee or has been re-directed and lamp them one. Besides, it can be argued that throwing somebody to the floor is an attack. Initially the aikidoka redirect on the defensive, take the initiative of battle and attack using a technique. Only at the completion can another tell you what the technique is.Ikkyo and Gokyo are identical up to the submission, which is only at the end.

Quote:
Grabbing simulates "real attacks". For example, Gyakuhanmi simulatesTsuki whilst Aihanmi represents and effectively simulates shomen or Yokomen strikes. Such attacks as Lapell grabs or Ryokata are valid in their own right as they are more likely to happen as a preparation for a strike. Grabbing as it were is only the first step.

Quote:
Your hands are your most dexterous limbs. you can aim a jab with pinpoint precision, whilst kicks in comparison are slow and cumbersome- however if they connect, far more effective- but its getting them to connect. Punches ARE present in aikido in the form of atemi, which can be put in anytime you have a hand free. Literally.
As for jumping..... well woopie doo. Look at me i am a flying target with no control over my direction whilst in the air, whilst at the same time being very predictable in my flight pattern, helpless to my flanks and rear (mostly unless spinning of course) and i am invariably going to land which will require both my legs meaning that i cannot move for that split second. Great..... Or you could just step somewhere.....

Quote:
BEEEEEEEP.... Wrong answer. Osensei studied every martial art he could get his ambitious mind about and cherry picked the best bits- in a sense filtering out the rubbish. If it didn't work, they would not teach it to the Japanese police, would they..... Besides, i am sure there are others on this site that can give personal examples of its effectiveness.

Quote:
This is coming for the Kung fu genius that took all their ideas from animals. Aikido has looked into the way humans move and fight. yes nobody would use the sword in this day and age, but try this. Take a knife and stab a cloth or something. Now take the knife away and do the same thing. What do you get?
A closed fist traveling forwards at great speed. you get a punch. doesn't seem so pointless now does it. Aiki ken was established as a training tool- the art itself came first. Ultimately, at the beginning, aikido was about one swordsman throwing another. if you take the swords away, the move still works. the movements are the same, just without the blood and mess.

Quote:
Any martial art that has a DO in it is, by definition the same and suffers the same flaw. Jitsu is the down to earth, get the job done art.

Phew. glad thats over.......

Old 07-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #73
Shahryn
Dojo: Bangsar Shobukan
Malaysia

To Khaled's point about the (street) effectiveness of aikido, someone said "Aikido works - yours doesn't!"

Very simple comment but oh, so true!

Like anything you do - darts, piano, fixing your car - the more you do it (i.e. 'practice'), the better you will get at it. Does anyone know new karatekas or judokas who instantly become 'great' at their art?

As for old men and fat guys, I would love to see 55 year old guys take up karate and be as effective against younger guys as 55 year old newbies who train and take on younger aikidokas.

Peace, you guys!
Old 07-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #74
aikijoel
United_States

Khaled just keep on training. I've heard those kinds of comments about aikido from my friends who practice diff MA but for me whether its taekwondo,,judo,hapkido etc... its all good we are all climbing the same mountain.

peace
Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 PM   #75
dyffcult
United_States

First off, I have not read all replies to this post, so if the following is redundant, forgive me.

I had not actively trained for over three years before I had the first chance to "use" my aikido. My law office had just witnessed our client convicted of second degree murder because of the kicking death of a young man. That same night I saw my then brother in law "posturing" with another young man at the bar. They walked outside. The other guy sucker punched my brother in law, who fell to the ground. The other guy then started kicking him. The next thing I knew, I had the guy down in a shoulder lock and was telling his buddy to back off or I would break his shoulder. At the time, I had not actively practiced in a dojo for a few years and was only ranked as a nikyu.

Without further training....

A few years later, I was at a KISS concert when some idiot felt the need to be belligerent to every person in his vicinity. After about the third body slam, I turned around, had him on the ground and his opponent by the throat. I asked them if they were through being pains in the ass and they both agreed to behave. I enjoyed the rest of the concert.

So I would have to say that practicing aikido is not a waste of time.

I do believe that it takes a bit of time and practice to reach the point where one can use aikido for self defense. However, having used aikido on more than one occasion to protect myself or others -- without having reached a dan rank -- I do believe that aikido works wonderfully for self defense.