Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWiki

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Shugyo

This is the discussion thread for the AikiWiki article "Shugyo".

Please add comments below regarding the article.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States
Re: Shugyo

What the entry says.

Quote:
Discipline. Traveling in pursuit of Truth. To pursue aikido, or any martial art, as a path to self-improvement involves more than training. The word "shugyo" connotes a continual striving for technical and personal excellence. KEIKO, or training, is only one component of such striving. To pursue aikido as a Way, requires a continual reexamination and correction of oneself, one's attitudes, reactions, dispositions to like or dislike, etc.
My take on shugyo was as hard, severe or intense practice. It takes on connotations of traveling due to the origins of the kanji, however, so I suppose it depends on how we choose definitions. Anyway, my inclination is to say that the "primary" definition would be an intense period of practice or training with the intention of self-improvement. Then in a larger sense saying what was quoted up above. I guess I'm saying the given definition is quite, poetic I guess, but I think incomplete as it misses the more direct meaning of the term.

Maybe someone fluent in Japanese and Martial Arts has insight? Cause that ain't me... So huge grains of salt and all that.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #3
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

For me, Shugyo is alot about pushing yourself past your comfort zone to the point of failure or your own limits so you can better understand them, hence better understand yourself.

I have experience Shugyo in many different ways and forms in my life, sometimes in the most unexpected ways with results that I did not expect!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Keith Larman
United_States

Kevin,

Yup, that's my take too. I think that is more the prosaic definition as contrasted with the wiki entry. The entry is reading a lot of stuff into it but not really giving a rudimentary definition.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States

I have taken part in both the actual traveling part of shugyo and the every day full-time shugyo where the travel is outside your comfort zone where you encounter the unknown and places you have to pull out the real essence of yourself to continue... all the while learning from the experiences so you can recognize the early signs of the edges next time ...

Great stuff,

Best regards,

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org

Old 07-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
akiy

Hi folks,

Don't forget that the original article referenced above is part of the AikiWeb AikiWiki. Being a wiki, you are encouraged to update the information in there yourself! Simply go the article while logged in then click on the "edit" tab to do so.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
dps

The following link is an interesting explanation by Nathan Scott on Shugyo.

http://www.tsuki-kage.com/shugyo.html

and a June 2000 AikiWeb thread about Shugyo started by Jun Akiyama
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167

David

Go ahead, tread on me.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #8
Keith Larman
United_States

Jun:

Well understood and thank you for providing the forum for the discussion. I posted what I did here simply because I didn't feel confident enough to make a change to the wiki. I hoped to generate more discussion and maybe we can come up with a consensus definition. If so, I'd be happy to edit the wiki accordingly. I just wanted to run my concerns by my peers and see what they had to say.

But right now I'll wait until the migraine goes away and I'm no longer glowing from the joys of modern medication...

Old 07-07-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
akiy

Hi Keith,

I certainly appreciate your bringing up the discussion to further the AikiWiki article on "shugyo" as you've already done! I just wanted to remind people to update the article, should they wish, as it has seemed in the past that these AikiWiki article discussions become less focused on that task of updating the AikiWiki and more focused on just discussion.

Best,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!