Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWiki

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States
Generalteaching

This is the discussion thread for the AikiWiki article "Generalteaching".

Please add comments below regarding the article.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #2
mriehle

United_States
Re: Generalteaching

This Wiki page grew out of the following threads on Aikiweb:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14140
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14158

In particular this post:

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=145

Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
akiy

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contributing to the AikiWiki and helping to expand its content.

What sort of information and such do you need to make your new page(s) more comprehensive? How can people help?

Thanks,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
mriehle

United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi Michael,

Thank you for contributing to the AikiWiki and helping to expand its content.

What sort of information and such do you need to make your new page(s) more comprehensive? How can people help?

Thanks,

-- Jun
For one thing, some examples of policies that address the issues I've already identified as well as additional issues I may have missed. I'm also thinking a list of resources - maybe books and such - for detailed information.

Under "Equipment" I'm thinking a couple of good descriptions of building a mat would be cool. Not so much about where to get materials, but construction methods and considerations for mat designs. It's a discussion that comes up often in the forums, so it seems like a good resource to have.

The "Insurance" heading is one that I hope to contribute to, but I'd bet some other people have more to offer there. That one should cover considerations for what kind of insurance you should have, what you should expect of an insurance carrier and possibly a few sources to look into for insurance. I think this is an issue which new dojo owners don't really think about until they need to.

I feel like what I had to say about certifying teachers is vague and only marginally helpful. Once again, some examples of certification programs from people who do it would be a Really Good Thing.

Clearly, there are opportunities here for cross-referencing to other areas of the teaching pages as well. I haven't figure out how to do that, yet.

And writing this response prompted an additional heading under "Teaching Minors" concerning safety rules.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Hello Michael,

I would like to suggest under the certifying instructors that all instructors expected to teach children should be required to have a criminal background check specifically looking for any sex crimes history. Also be aware that there are different levels of background checks that can been done. The results of the background checks should be on file at the dojo.

Also, there needs to be a section of how to handle reports of possible inappropriate activity in the dojo. First, they should not be ignored or blown off as someone being dramatic. Second, the school should do its own investigation. Third, if that investigation is not possible report to a higher authority. Fourth, report it to the the police.

These are just things I'm pulling from the top of my head. I'll try and pull some references from the internet.

Anne Marie Giri

Old 05-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States

Here is a link to a website created by the Catholic Church.

http://www.virtus.org/virtus/

Anne Marie Giri

Old 05-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
mriehle

United_States

Anne Marie,

Good ideas. I've added a section on the need for background checks. I'm not sure what to say, exactly, about reporting procedures, but I think you're correct in believing it needs to be there.

This actually made me think of another issue: re-certification. I added that as well. It occurred to me that some of the issues that I've heard about were with teachers who had initially been certified who later developed serious issues which led to problems.

Several external resources have been pointed to in the various discussions as well. It seems to me that these external resources need to be recognized, even though some of them are not directly Aikido related. They tend to be referring to organizations with similar issues. So VIRTUS Online is the first entry in an "External Resources" section.

Jun,

It did occur to me that some of the external references may have a problem with us referencing them. I'll try to do some due diligence, there. But be assured that my feelings will not be hurt if you feel the need to delete such a reference for issues which didn't occur to me.