Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-30-2001, 07:27 PM   #1
Jon S.
Question O Confusion

Hi,

I've studied very little Aikido, but I hope to amend this soon because someone is going to start teaching near where I live in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I figured I'd start to delve into the subject of Aikido more, and try to gain a better understanding of the different styles and organizations. As I half expected, I'm more confused then when I started and I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me gain a clearer understanding.

So far, I found a website that provides some good information about some of the different styles, particularly from the early days of Aikido. I figure that any legitimate contemporary style can be traced back to the original ones, and all styles must go back to Ueshiba - could I be mistaken somehow?

Is there any information that anyone's willing to provide regarding different styles and their characteristics?

Most of my confusion arises from discovering some of the different organizations.

First, I was wondering if a teacher must be affiliated with an organization in order to be considered legitimate in the Aikido world?

The different organizations I've dug up so far are: USAF, ASU, AAA, and AAI - I'm sure there are more.

Do these organizations generally represent particular styles?

Perhaps someone could provide me with a short list of different organizations, and the styles they represent (if applicable), and if your ambitious, a brief history about when they were established and by whom.

The AAA seems to have fairly strict testing and instructor certification procedures, are all organizations similar in this matter, or do they differ substantially?

Regarding the Hombu dojo, everyone seems to want to follow their guidelines, was this the dojo established by Ueshiba? Is there a website for the Hombu dojo? Is this like the Aikido equivalant of the Kodokan? Are there some styles of Aikido that have no affiliation to the Hombu dojo whatsoever?

What is the history of the development of the Shobu style of Aikido and what are its characteristics?

What are the characteristics of the Aikikai style?

In what way should I address an Aikido teacher - should I call him sensei, or something different?

Are there any good resources on these topics that provide comprehensive and accurate information?

I know that my questions are basic and reveal the depth of my ignorance, but I would sincerely appreciate any responses to one or all of them.

Thanks for your time,

Jon Small

Jon

"not all who wander are lost"
Old 10-30-2001, 08:09 PM   #2
akiy

First off, you should try going through Kjartan's AikidoFAQ site which probably would have covered most of the questions that you asked. Try:

http://www.aikidofaq.com

As far as the whole organization thing goes, I wouldn't put too much weight on it. There is wide variation in almost every organization that it's difficult, if not impossible, to "characterize" any of them. Heck, some dojo have multiple instructors who will show "contradicting" methods of how to do something. Trying to pin down any specific "characteristics" about an organization would be painting with too large a brush, I think.

As far as a list of affiliations go, try this page on this site:

http://www.aikiweb.com/general/affiliat.html

As far as Aikikai Hombu dojo goes, it is the "headquarters" dojo for the Aikikai foundation which the founder created. There are many aikido dojo that are not affiliated with Aikikai Hombu dojo (eg Ki Society, Yoshinkan, Tomiki). Many dojo are also independent as well. As far as a website for Aikikai Hombu dojo, you can check out:

http://www.aikikai.or.jp

On addressing your instructor, you should ask. Some people will cringe at being called "sensei" while others pretty much demand it.

Hope that helps.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-31-2001, 02:13 PM   #3
Jon S.
Jun,

Thank you for your response, some things are much clearer now. I'll look into the resources you directed me to, I appreciate it.

Jon

Jon

"not all who wander are lost"