Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-03-2000, 05:08 AM   #1
slider7
"slider7"
IP Hash: 0a1f38b2
Anonymous User
Wink

Hi everyone

Just in case you don't know, I started aikido last week. I think it is fascinateing and unlike many other martial arts.

However, I heard about Shorinji Kempo and found info on the internet about it. Apparently, it has the throws, locks and many techniques like aikido and does concentrate a lot on defending rather than attacking. Its philosophy seems v.similiar & appealing like aikido.

However, it also has punches and kicks that are different and more effective than say karate - it uses pressure points. This makes me consider takeing up Kempo as opposed to aikido, there is a dojo near me.

I am not sure what to do. I would be grateful for some input, perhaps people whom have tried kempo and aikido or just anyone who has an opinion on which they think is better.

Thanks
Rian
Old 08-03-2000, 08:07 AM   #2
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
I've had the pleasure of training with a shorinji kempo instructor in a couple of seminars at a judo dojo in town. The wrist locks and use of pressure points are quite similar to aikido. They also try to be fairly subtle in their production of kuzushi. There is a dark side though. Most, of their techniques result in serious damage to opponents. And they are very painful. The final goal is victory over an opponent. So, it will probably come down to your personal philosophy: Are you looking to be victorious over opponents? Or are you looking to be victorious over yourself?

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 08-03-2000, 09:03 AM   #3
Guest5678
Which to do?

Rian,

This is a tough question for everyone. Personally, I'd love to have the time to practice ALL the arts, but father time will not permit such an endeavor. I would suggest that you not heavily weigh information that states "we only use this art for self defense" because they all claim that. Also consider this, there are many ways to hit, kick, parry, throw etc... The trick is to find an art you feel "fits" you. That is, one that makes you feel good about what you are learning. I don't believe anyone can honestly say one particular art is "better" than another. What does "better" mean to you? Better at what? I suggest you spend some time in each style, perhaps you'll want to practice both........

2 cents worth

Good luck in your quest,

Dan Pokorny
Old 08-03-2000, 11:08 AM   #4
chillzATL
United_States
Try them both and see which you like the best. I wouldn't go as far to say that the punches and kicks in Kempo are more effective than any other style of karate though. They are not, only different. As I said though, try both and see which suits you best.
Old 08-03-2000, 04:19 PM   #5
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Picking Your Training

Quote:
slider7 wrote:
Hi everyone

Just in case you don't know, I started aikido last week. I think it is fascinateing and unlike many other martial arts.

However, I heard about Shorinji Kempo and found info on the internet about it. Apparently, it has the throws, locks and many techniques like aikido and does concentrate a lot on defending rather than attacking. Its philosophy seems v.similiar & appealing like aikido.

However, it also has punches and kicks that are different and more effective than say karate - it uses pressure points. This makes me consider takeing up Kempo as opposed to aikido, there is a dojo near me.

I am not sure what to do. I would be grateful for some input, perhaps people whom have tried kempo and aikido or just anyone who has an opinion on which they think is better.

Thanks
Rian
Nasewd on what you want from training you make your decision. It is my feeling that you first shop for a teacher. Yes, I am an Aikido guy. But I am sure that had I found a teacher of classical martial arts or Jeet Kun Do or Kali that was on a par with Saotome Sensei I would have been happy.

Shorinji Kenpo has a deep philosphy and is great training. But you are happy with your Aikido so why worry. Find a teacher and an art an MAKE A COMMITMENT. Don't sit around and worry about whether there is a better art or a better teacher around the corner that you haven't found yet.

The first art you do will be the foundation of all lyour later training. Pick one that you can do for a long time and get good at it. Later you can do some sampling and have the knowledge to beneft from it. I can't tell you haow many people I get who come and and are green belts in everything. They have jumped around and dabbled here and there and the know nothing.

My advice is to find a teacher about whom you can say "I'd like to be like him (or her); that's the kind of person I want to model after." A great teacher of any art is better than a poor teacher of a great art.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com