Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-08-2018, 08:12 AM   #1
Lionel.Moulas
Dojo: AFKA
France
Lightbulb What to use to manage club(s) database and classes

Hi,
I hope this is the right place to ask my question.
This is not about aikido technique, but about software used to manage aikido club !
Having a good one would help a lot !

I am looking for a way to host and access securely
-students details (grades, age, skills progression, attendance)
-classes (which techniques were shown, ...)
-seminars planning (budget, ...)
-teachers classes

to be used by teachers (and possibly students)

Do you have anything you recommend ?
Are you managing clubs using excel & access, proprietary software, ... ?
Is there an open source solution , with people making sure it is updated regularly, ... ?

I'm based in France..looking at french or english based solutions...

Have a great day !
Old 01-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Walter Martindale
Canada
Re: What to use to manage club(s) database and classes

LibreOffice is a good open source spreadsheet/word processor/presentations and other office package. It's updated regularly and runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac systems. I'm not sure about their database program.

MS Excel and Access link and can refer to each other as long as the data files are on the same network and you can probably link it all up with Word documents for communication with members.

You'd spend a bunch of time setting it up to do everything you want it to do. Can't comment on the security - not my strong suit.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Lionel.Moulas
Dojo: AFKA
France

Thank you for your reply !
With users connecting from their homes, the network will have to be internet:: hence the need for added security (confidentiality, ...) and an easy interface, to help users with low computer skills.

Be good...and if you cannot, try.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
jurasketu
Dojo: Roswell Budokan
United_States

To make something "Internet" ready for this purpose requires a "web-hosted" business management solution . While not super expensive, it isn't that cheap either. The ordinary contact management "recommendable" solutions are all silly expensive or useless for this use case.

If you look at something like a professional, web-hosted Yoga Studio or Gym management software solution (seems like a best fit), the pricing is $60 - $100 per month. This includes great stuff like mobile app support for check-in, etc. Still, that is pretty expensive.

Most hosted solutions have free trial versions, you could poke around and maybe there will be a minimally featured "discount" [aka affordable $10-$30 per month] Studio/Gym management solution that could meet your needs with mobile check-in, secure hosted software, adequate reporting, integration with your regular website. The advantages of the hosted solution are security, mobile app support, reporting with server management and backups/disaster-recovery handled by the hosting solution.

All paths lead to death. I strongly recommend taking one of the scenic routes.
AWA - Nidan - Started Aikido training in 2008
Old 01-09-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

We use ZenPlanner, but honestly, I can't recommend it. There's a lot of heavy lifting involved with getting it set up, and certain actions that should be straightforward are very convoluted. Things that should "just work" frequently don't, and I need to scrutinize each month's bills in advance and correct frequent mistakes. And, yes, it costs money. It's worth it if your students pay dues and having online payments would make it more likely that you'd get paid on time (as opposed to the standard round of "I forgot my checkbook"), but a lot of their features are really overkill for the average dojo.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Aviv
Dojo: Aikido in Fredericksburg
United_States

For thirty years I used spreadsheets that I created in Excel and it worked well. As a dojo grows in membership, though, more robust solutions are easier to use and assistants can manage them better than remembering what goes where and why.

This summer I did a survey of commercially available "Integrated Dojo Management" packages that were available in the U. S. I did this in preparation for the first ever "How to Run an Aikido Dojo" seminar that I produced. I found several packages that work well, depending on your situation.

For a small dojo (less than 40 students), mmasmartware.com offers a lot of features for a low monthly cost.

For lager dojos, perfectmind,com and zenplanner.com offer more flexibility and features. Zenplanner has discounts for non-profit dojos like ours.

Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like more info.

Peace, Aviv Goldsmith
Aikido in Fredericksburg
www.aikidoinfredericksburg.org
Old 01-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #7
shuckser
Dojo: Brighton Aikikai, UK
United Kingdom

Check out Martialytics.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
PuppyDoggie
Canada
Smile Re: What to use to manage club(s) database and classes

I realize this is an older thread, but the most useful software I ever used for similar purposes (sadly not for aikido) is Google Sheets. It's free, can have online access, and others can access it too when needed.
I personally use Excel spreadsheets for my own stuff but Google Sheets would likely suit your purpose much better and is more accessible.