Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 AM   #1
CarlRylander
Aikido at forty

Dear Aikidoists,

I am forty and still thinking of taking up Aikido. Thing is, some of those throws look a bit difficult. Has there ever been on record anyone who has rolled and broken their neck on a first uke?

I don't want to be the first!

I think I can do it, if I take it gently at first. You can only know when you try, I suppose. I don't want to leave it any longer. Aikido may be regarded as 'soft', but some of those throws are fantastic! I don't definitely don't want to leave it until i'm fifty, or even forty five. It's now or never.

I'm not planning on using Ki to make me fly through the air and land on my feet, so no sarcasm, please!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 AM   #2
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Aikido at forty

Do not worry, copmared to some of the beginners in our dojo, you are young

You should find the right teacher for you, who would not push you beyond your abilities.

Amir
Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #3
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Carl Rylander wrote: View Post
Dear Aikidoists,

I am forty and still thinking of taking up Aikido. Thing is, some of those throws look a bit difficult. Has there ever been on record anyone who has rolled and broken their neck on a first uke?

I think I can do it, if I take it gently at first. You can only know when you try, I suppose. I don't want to leave it any longer. Aikido may be regarded as 'soft', but some of those throws are fantastic! I don't definitely don't want to leave it until i'm fifty, or even forty five. It's now or never.

I'm not planning on using Ki to make me fly through the air and land on my feet, so no sarcasm, please!
Being someone over 40, I advise you to do 2 things: Keep your weight down and stretch everyday. This will keep you light and help you to relax. Take it easy and just enjoy yourself!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Kevin Wilbanks

Actually, I think your concern for your own safety is wise. It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to severely injure you in your first class or two, but, with some of the practice I've seen in my travels, it has probably happened. I suggest you scout all the dojos that are within a reasonable distance and watch a class or two to start. Ask questions and observe the attitudes and behavior of the people there. If it seems like people are getting yanked and slammed around and most people have unpleasant expressions on their faces, cross that one off your list. I have seen many people "trapped" at such dojos because they never shopped around and didn't know any better.

Also, once you are training, do not hesitate to assert yourself for your own safety. No matter how rude or unheard of it may seem, you are always free not to train with someone whom you think is endangering you, or even bow out, get dressed, and walk right out the door. It's your neck.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
Dear Aikidoists,

In response:

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
Being someone over 40, I advise you to do 2 things: Keep your weight down and stretch everyday. This will keep you light and help you to relax. Take it easy and just enjoy yourself!
I second this. I began Aikido training when I was 34 going on 35. Granted, it's not the same as 40...but I most certainly can tell that I'm not a kid anymore! For me, stretching is most important.

Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote: View Post
Actually, I think your concern for your own safety is wise. It is highly unlikely that anyone is going to severely injure you in your first class or two, but, with some of the practice I've seen in my travels, it has probably happened. I suggest you scout all the dojos that are within a reasonable distance and watch a class or two to start. Ask questions and observe the attitudes and behavior of the people there. If it seems like people are getting yanked and slammed around and most people have unpleasant expressions on their faces, cross that one off your list. I have seen many people "trapped" at such dojos because they never shopped around and didn't know any better.

Also, once you are training, do not hesitate to assert yourself for your own safety. No matter how rude or unheard of it may seem, you are always free not to train with someone whom you think is endangering you, or even bow out, get dressed, and walk right out the door. It's your neck.
I agree with this also. Contrary to what a lot of nay-sayers and critics claim, Aikido can be very dangerous. If you do not learn how to properly fall, you could seriously injure yourself...so your concerns are well-warranted. The litmus test for me: is safety constantly emphasized at the dojo? This in the form of both proper execution of the technique, but also taking considerable time to instruct newcomers on proper ukemi. As Kevin said, if you don't feel comfortable and/or safe taking a fall...then don't do it! Any instructor or classmate that demands you take a fall that you're not comfortable with, provided adaquate ukemi training was not provided, is no place for you to be. Challenging you to grow is one thing, endangering you is another. Be smart & be safe.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #6
SeiserL

United_States

Welcome youngster,
I started at 44. Almost 13 years ago.
Go slow, learn good form, and you probably won't break anything.
Okay, maybe a good sweat.
Relax, breath, and enjoy yourself.
Again, welcome youngster.
May I show you how to bow in?

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Carl,
Without any background in any martial arts, I started when I was 44( I'm 47 now) and I had to get permission from my doctor to train due to my lower back problem. Just relax, take it easy, and know your limitations. I you decide to take the plunge and try it out, voice your concerns to the sensei. As you probably know, there are a few aikido styles. Sample as much as you can then decide which teaching or dojo you want to join.

Oh, in Ki Society style aikido, we have to extend ki all the time so ki training is part of the curriculum.

Plus Ki
Old 08-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

I have several students in their 50's practicing, just tested one for his black belt.

Kevin's advice is good - shop around. See how beginners are treated.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I strted at 46, injured myself (as opposed to being injured by a partner) in my second class, and made 2nd kyu in four years.
One of my teachers is 77 and is taking the same ukemi as the rest of us.

You're just a kid.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 08-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #10
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Wish that I had started as early as forty! I started at fiftysix and have been training for four years now. I've had my share of bumps and bruises and dislocated a toe (by kicking my training partner accidently as he threw me). I don't delude myself into thinking I'm only 19 again, or as indestructible as I was at 19, but we play hard and have fun with the training. Kevin gave you some very sage advice and I strongly suggest that you follow it. If you find the right dojo for you, you should have nothing to worry about. Generally you won't be asked or expected to do anything beyond your capacity and your training partners will take good care of you in a quality dojo. Taking ukemi is, for me at least, a great part of the joy I experience. It will come to you - just trust yourself and find a good school for you. Have fun and let us know how your training goes. Good luck.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
crbateman

Carl, I got stuff in my closet older than you. Just look around with an open mind, and find a school and a teacher that feel right. Don't sell yourself short, as you are there to enhance your capabilities and overcome your weaknesses. It takes work, and you can't just mail it in. And most importantly, don't compare or compete with others. Just try to get a little better every day.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #12
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

I trained in a dojo on wednesday (one of the hottest and most humid days of the year here) who must have been over 60. This guy really had some guts as an older beginner training in that weather. I really admired him. When we did oto geiko after class, he took a couple of soft falls, but his butt hurt. So I just had him walk away from the throws, or we turned the waza into connection and stretching exercises.

He did really well.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
SteveTrinkle
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International
United_States

Hey Ron,

The guy you're talking about would probably be flattered to hear you think he in his 60's. He says he's in his early 70's and he does train hard and with an outstanding attitude.

It was a bit warm that evening though...

Thanks, as always, for training with us.

Steve

Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte

I was 39 when I started. I'm 52 now. Good advice given by all. I would add one thing. When you visit a dojo ask them to demonstrate and explain how they teach beginners to fall. It has been my experience that for anyone overcoming the fear of forward rolls is one of the major hurdles a beginner must make. Its not the back falls or back rolls. Its almost always the front rolls. Pay attention to how they would teach you to roll and how much time they will devote to it. As we age our fear of falling naturally increases, and your instructor should recognize that. However, given the right instructor and dojo you (and virtually anyone else) CAN master ukemi...If you can, it would also be useful for you to do some weight training exercises that strengthen your lower back. Between that and ukemi, you should never have to visit the chiropractor! Good training!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:19 PM   #15
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Personally, I plan on quitting when I hit 40.

I mean, how can I guy over 40 continue to perform?

Oh... wait.... what? Bonds just hit 756 a few days ago?

Damn...

Well.. I guess I'll be getting some vitamin shots in my ass , but at least I ain't quitting!

Damn...

Just found out that my teacher ain't no spring chicken either!

(more shots)

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 08-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #16
CarlRylander

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys!

I suppose I passed my athletic peak at twenty three, like most people. I can still do one hundred pressups. My back's a little weak, but it could be brought up to strength.

If I don't do it soon, I never will.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #17
justin
United Kingdom

Quote:

I suppose I passed my athletic peak at twenty three, like most people. I can still do one hundred pressups. My back's a little weak, but it could be brought up to strength.

100 press ups i would say your to fit, just passed 35 myself and i dont find the fitness side of things hard at all, stopping my brain going to mush when i am trying to do various techniques now thats a different matter.

wish you all the best
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #18
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Hey Steve,

That was one of your best classes ever, I really enjoyed it. Your group has always welcomed the Yoshinkan Nut, and I really appreciate it. Some of my best training has been with you, Lia Sensei, and especially Kirisawa Sensei. You guys will hold a special place for me.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #19
lbb
United_States

To OP, I would say look at the school very carefully. If it's full of oblivious young guys who don't understand that they (and other people) can get injured, you might want to look elsewhere.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
tarik

Dojo: Iwae Dojo
United_States

Quote:

I'm not sure that I've ever been able to 100 press ups. Strengthen that back and your core, but you sound like you'll do just fine. I know people who started in their 50's and 60's and are still training.

Regards,

Tarik Ghbeish
Jiyūshin-ryū AikiBudō - Iwae Dojo

MASAKATSU AGATSU -- "The true victory of self-mastery."
Old 08-15-2007, 05:50 AM   #21
Jonathan Punt
Wales

We had a member who started Aikido at 68.

He trained for about 10 years until health issues forced his retirement.

He was a great chracter, deaf as a post, practically blind but enjoyed every minute he was on the mat.

We used to call him 'old Phil'

Sadly he passed on a few years ago but he will always be remembered by those who trained with him.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #22
jennyvanwest

Dojo: Aikido of ME
United_States

I'm 39, have been training about a year. I will admit that I broke my collar bone in the spring, not from any spectactular breakfall which generally don't hurt, but from a bad roll when i was much too tired to be doing what I was (stretching my limits on the mat late in the day after a poor night's sleep). Now I'm back at it. I absolutely love it and am going to really study those rolls and respect my own limits, whatever they happen to be on a given day / time, and hope to train into my oldies.

I hope you have a great time! I'll be joining the 40+ club next spring.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #23
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

quote..< I hope you have a great time! I'll be joining the 40+ club next spring. >

As the unofficial treasurer, you may send your dues directly to me.

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 08-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #24
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Quote:
I'm not sure that I've ever been able to 100 press ups.
I used to be able to do about 300 in 15 minutes.

That was a VERY LONG TIME AGO.

Best,
Ron

PS Lan, I know I'm late on my dues...the check is in the mail...

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 08-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #25
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Once you turn forty, the watchword seems to be: "it's now or never."

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -