Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-18-2003, 08:39 PM   #26
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
[quote="David Wade (Frp)"]The story of the Zen monk type hunter that O-Sensei would not test proves the point to me that O-Sensei may not have been able to dodge bullets, but he could do something that's as close as you can get in this life and that's read the intent of his attackers."

----------------------------------------------

This is a correct answer, No doubt OSensei was a man of incredible skills and owner of Big Guts, anyways,

last time I saw the poll it was 184 people saying "yes, Ueshiba was able to dodge bullets" what is this a kindergarten?

Pretorian
Old 06-19-2003, 02:28 AM   #27
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Hi Damien,

Although I'm not big into auras - I think misdirection was a part of Ueshiba's aikido. If you watch Ueshiba he often waves his hand around to draw the ukes attention to it. In addition, atemis are utilised to draw a persons attention to another part of the body. Also, for techniques where you go down low, you often have to raise your body first to draw uke up as well. I think there is a lot of psychological stuff that could be investigated.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 06-19-2003, 04:32 PM   #28
Alfonso
I too answered Yes, but..

I took the question to mean, do I believe the story or not.

I do and I don't believe that there was collusion on the part of the shooters, as in them intentionally setting out to miss.

I don't belive O Sensei waited for the bullets to be shot and then dodged. That's absurd.

I pretty much agree with the perspective on intent.

funny how the same question can be interpreted so differently; I wonder if Jun can elaborate on what he meant by the question.

I also find it funny that so many get upset at this; people believe in more impossible stories that happened much much longer ago, and make their lives around them all the time.

Alfonso Adriasola
Old 10-10-2003, 11:54 PM   #29
reptileddp
Thumbs down

can anyone please email me with where i can find the story of Moreihi Ueshiba dodging bullets.

along time ago i read on a iakido school web site while he was giving a seminar he said because of the way he moves he could even dodge bullets... there were 5 olympic shooters present who challenged him to prove it... they went to a field and he walked out 25ft and they shot, by the time the first shooter got his shot off he had disapeared and all you saw was the guy being thrown into the feild while Ueshiba was standing there smiling.

please if anyone knows where i could find a copy of any of these things it would be greatly appreciated! i would like to read them for myself. thank you.

dparks@yta.attmil.ne.jp
Old 10-11-2003, 07:14 AM   #30
Andrew James
France
[quote="danny parks (reptileddp)"]can anyone please email me with where i can find the story of Moreihi Ueshiba dodging bullets.

Hi danny

you should find this story, and others on the aikidoFAQ website

Click on the address below and you should come straight to the required page.

http://www.aikidofaq.com/history/story.html
Old 10-11-2003, 08:33 AM   #31
akiy

Quote:
danny parks (reptileddp) wrote:
can anyone please email me with where i can find the story of Moreihi Ueshiba dodging bullets.
Gozo Shioda sensei's "Aikido Shugyo" recounts the tale (as Shioda sensei was there). It's a good book overall; I read it in Japanese, but I hear there's an English translation out these days...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-11-2003, 10:06 AM   #32
shugyosha
Hello,

the english translation of 'Aikido Shugyo' can be purchased at its publisher's site shindokan books. Very interesting reading!

greets

Steffen

Steffen Glückselig, shugyoing Yoshinkan Aikido in Würzburg, Germany
:: gungfu.de ::
Old 10-12-2003, 06:22 PM   #33
bca333
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
Bullets

I can dodge bullets as long as they're thrown. Not energetically thrown, though. More like tossed.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:51 PM   #34
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Of course there was the conversation between Ueshiba M. and Takeda S. on Ueshiba's first training day which went something like this:

M. Ueshiba: Are you saying that I'll be able to dodge bullets?

S. Takeda: I am saying that when you are ready, you won't have to.

On second thought I think I watch The Matrix too much.

L.C.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca
Old 10-13-2003, 09:39 PM   #35
Suzanne Cooper
Dojo: Retsushinkan Dojo/Alabama
Wow, this is an interesting poll and thread.

I believe he could have done it. There are similar 'mind over matter' stories in the lives of various Saints.

And there's nothing to say that only Judo-Christian belief systems support amazing feats.

The lesson I learn is to determine the intention of your attacker--know your enemy! If he or she comes at you with the intention to do you great harm or kill you, you're presented with a different situation than on in which your attacker comes at you with a more sporting intent--even if the sport is a better-trained athlete bent on hitting the mark.

Of course, I see Jun's point. Who would want to be know throughout history as the one who killed O Sensei?

I got guts, yes I do. I do aikido--do YOU?