Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
Fred L
types of zanshin

My sensei told me that while shite and uke both practice zanshin, shite's is "yan - zanshin" and uke's is " lan - zanshin". I can always jsut ask him to explain, but we've kind of fallen into this routine of me trying to figure things out first, instead of just having it be spoon fed to me.

Does anyone know how yan and lan translate?

thanks!

Fred
Old 02-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
Re: types of zanshin

Interesting question. I've not come across zanshin being given two labels before. More interestingly is the use of "lan" (assuming it's an "L") since there is no "L" in the Japanese language. This would imply that he has been given a word that has been mispronounced, or perhaps is mixing Chinese with Japanese.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #3
Dan Rubin
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Might he have said "yang" and "yin"?
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Fred L

He's Japanese, so I guess that he's intentionally using the words. On the other hand, he's a lousy typist. Maybe it wasn't "lan", but he definitely was making the point that there were different types of zanshin. I'll check to see if the terms were spelled correctly...

fred
Old 03-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
JohnSeavitt

I haven't seen any widespread usage of 'subtyping' zanshin, presuming that we don't mean 'more-or-less maintaining zanshin' versus 'staring aimlessly out the window instead of maintaining zanshin'. Still, there's plenty of room for a teaching lesson, inasmuch as shite/uke might very well find their roles more flexible from one encounter to the next ...

John
Old 03-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
Pretoriano

Dojo: Aikido Santa Fe
Venezuela
Thumbs up Re: types of zanshin

Of course gentlemen because the Lan zanchin is that the lan zanchin, (the conection)... the hembra (female) type that one you wont become in a danger situation. Thats why in the practice sessions it is Comended to be achieved till you be able you asume it on and off like a suit.

Praetoriano
Aragua, Venezuela
Citrus production no 777
Old 03-07-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Fred LaVan wrote: View Post
He's Japanese, so I guess that he's intentionally using the words........
The Japanese usually refer to "yin" and "yang" as "in" and "yo".

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Extended control?

Zanshin is an interesting concept. I have never heard it subdivided, but I am no expert on it.

In my experience, Japanese aikido teachers use it mainly to describe a distinct end pinning of an aikido technique. They seem to think of it as meaning something like extended control (of the attacker).

In karatedo, as far as I know, it is mainly used for kata done with power breathing, often done slowly, with one movement at each extended breath.

I would like to translate it as extended spirit, a spirit that pursues and sort of lingers on. Maybe mind instead of spirit, since shin/kokoro is the heart, used to describe mind, mentality and such.
Wakan digital dictionary translates it: "follow-through (e.g. in archery)."
I'd very much like to hear other thoughts on it - and examples of how it is used.

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 03-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #9
Fred L

I spoke with my sensei yesterday. He is a bad typist. He did mean yin/yang (or in/yo). He then went on to relate nage's zanshin to "living" elements and uke's to "dead" ones.

Can you guys add to this? My appreciation for the whole yin/yang concept is very superficial. I understand that nage could be seen as being active, while uke is passive, but ukemi is more than a passive exercise on uke's part. How could zanshin be anything but active/living?

Fred
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Stefan Stenudd

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden
Shaded side and sunny side

Yin and yang are quite complex in Chinese tradition. Originally they refer to the shady and sunny side, such as on a tree. In ancient Chinese cosmology they are the opposites that make a whole, and the universe is alive by their interaction.

Now, that big thing is not necessarily what Easterners refer to when they talk about yin and yang. For example, Musashi talks in his 'Book of Five Rings' about in/yo walking, by which he states that he simply means alternate left and right footsteps - i.e. regular walking.

Some may use in/yo in a meaning similar to omote/ura, that would make sense, or above/below, like heaven and earth. Living or dead might refer to yang being light and warm, whereas yin is dark and cold. The possibilities are endless

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: https://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd