Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-11-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
sbaker4224
teaching kids Aikido - can you share ideas

Hello -
We have had a kid's Aikido class at our dojo for about 2 years now. It is going well all-in-all. I have been involved for about the last year.
We spend time working on basic footwork, strikes, ukemi, and such. Sometimes we play games and other times we do basic techniques.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any good web sites or books about teaching children (ages 7 to 14 primarily)? I am wondering how other people run their classes. What seems to work and what over time seems not to really do much.

Thank you,
Sarah
Old 10-11-2003, 06:35 PM   #2
akiy

Although the site is a bit graphics-heavy in some places for my taste, here's a site devoted to the subject of aikido and kids:

http://www.aikidokids.com/

Hope that helps,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:10 AM   #3
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK
I've been teaching a kids class for about a month now. Michael Friedl has a good book "Ahh to be a kid" withs some interesting games. It's out of print at the moment, but a lot of the games are available on the site that Jun mentioned above. Gaku Homma also has a book "Children and the Martial Arts: An Aikido Point of View" which also has some good info.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 10-13-2003, 02:13 PM   #4
Sharon Seymour
Dojo: AikidoKIDS! & Katsujinken Dojo, Prescott Arizona
Hi, Sarah. I like the book The Peaceful Way: a children's guide to the traditions of the martial arts, by Claudio A. Iedwab. Not Aikido-specific, but has lots of good stories and information for you and your students.

We have also been enjoying the stories from Remembering O-Sensei.

-----
There is more to balance than not falling over.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
Bruce Bookman produced a video years ago, titled "Teaching Aikido to Children." I have not watched it, though.

, can't find m s
Old 10-14-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
Kensho Furuya
Dojo: Aikido Center of Los Angeles
I have been teaching kids since the early 70's and have worked with many kids with "special needs" as well. Over the years, I have learned to treat kids like adults with the same expectations. If you treat them like adults they begin to act like adults and think like adults and learn to take responsibility. With much younger kids, I emphasize more flexibility and hand-eye, hand-foot coordination exercises, balance, footwork are important. Many kids do not receive enough strength training as well in the public school system, some running, jogging in place, push-ups and sit-ups are also important.

Kids must be quiet, learn to bow and say, Hai!, when spoken to in my Dojo. They must keep their uniforms clean and behave themselves. Many of my kids continue and graduate to the adult classes and some have become black belts in turn. One of my assistants started when he was fourteen. One student who started with me in college is still with me for the last 35 years. Several of my kids, I have seen recently are now married with kids of their own.

Kids need respect and if given respect, will in turn learn to respect others. They must learn that it is all give and take. If I act silly in class to entertain them, they will act silly too. If you act seriously in class, they will become more serious about what they are doing.

Kids need honesty, and do not like to be cheated, feel cheated or lied to. You must be very alert when teaching kids because they absorb everything you do and say. Finally, all kids have a natural genius and it is up to you to help them to develop their genius and natural talents.

I have not ever met any bad kids, but I have met a lot who have "learned" to be bad. Sometimes we have to correct this too and Aikido is the very best for this.

If you have a good heart, the kids will sense this and develop their good hearts too. I recommend all my black belts to help out with our children's class to develop their teaching skills. Some people can teach adults but not kids. If you can teach kids well, you can teach anyone very well. A kids will challenge you as a teacher - you will learn more from teaching the kids than they will ever learn from you. Give them all you have. Hope these hints help you out. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:25 PM   #7
Sharon Seymour
Dojo: AikidoKIDS! & Katsujinken Dojo, Prescott Arizona
I have viewed the video by Bruce Bookman Sensei and found it helpful. Thumbs up.

Furuya Sensei, thank you for your inspiring essay. I have taught children since 1984 and concur in all your comments. Children will keep you honest in your training and hone your teaching skills. I have learned not to underestimate their capacity for understanding.

Sarah, thanks for starting this thread. I look forward to more excellent posts!

-----
There is more to balance than not falling over.