Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
Darryl Bronson

Dojo: Western Maryland Aikikai/Hagerstown, MD
United_States
Help! having Aikido withdrawal!

Hello Aikido family!

Well it's only been a week since my Arthroscopic Knee Surgery; however, I have not been able to practice Aikido for 3 weeks prior and I have another "6 weeks" of recovery to go!

Help! I'm having Aikido withdrawal! "Ya know wat am saying"

Does anyone have a suggest for me while I recovery from my surgery? One of my fellow dojo member said I should take this time to practice my Bokan katas, which is a good suggestion and I have started doing the katas in my back yard. I had been going to class once a week to watch and I would long for the day I can return to the mat for real Aikido practice. Because it seem on the days I was just watching they would always be practicing a most wonderful technique that I always wanted to learn. "Well every technique is one I always wanted to learn". Are there any other katas I can practice, I'm still new in Aikido so any suggestion will be of a great help.

I have been ride the stationary bike and leg lifts as to aid in my recovery; however, I miss Aikido!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: Help! having Aikido withdrawal!

"Watch and learn"

Watching Aikido is also learning Aikido.
Because you do not have to do the exercise yourself you can focus your attention on other aspects in class.See how other students pick up what teacher shows them. Watch how the teacher moves around in class and helps out. Simply observe.
Any practise you can still do at home is good practise as long as you do not overdo it. As you are still new to Aikido you'd run the risk making particular moves routine that maybe bad.
Other than that, get well soon and keep your eyes open
Old 05-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
lbb
United_States

Bokken kata involve plenty of footwork. I'd be very careful with this.

"Watch and learn" is good advice, as is spending the time you'd be spending in the dojo on your rehab. If your injury was caused by some other issue, now's a good time to resolve that too, particularly if it was something like lack of conditioning or flexibility or strength.

Cultivate patience. It seems some days that every other thread here is from someone who's having to take time off and is itching to get back on the mat. Having been there, I sympathize; having made the kind of dumb mistakes that so many posters seem to want to talk themselves into out of sheer impatience, I'm a bit exasperated. Find the patience. You're not the first one to feel this frustration, but it's nothing to what you'll feel if you don't manage to overcome it.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Darryl Bronson

United_States

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
"Watch and learn"

Watching Aikido is also learning Aikido.
Because you do not have to do the exercise yourself you can focus your attention on other aspects in class.See how other students pick up what teacher shows them. Watch how the teacher moves around in class and helps out. Simply observe.
Any practise you can still do at home is good practise as long as you do not overdo it. As you are still new to Aikido you'd run the risk making particular moves routine that maybe bad.
Other than that, get well soon and keep your eyes open
Thanks, you know I have been observing and I have notice alot more of the technique now! YOU are RIGHT! Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Darryl Bronson

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Bokken kata involve plenty of footwork. I'd be very careful with this.

"Watch and learn" is good advice, as is spending the time you'd be spending in the dojo on your rehab. If your injury was caused by some other issue, now's a good time to resolve that too, particularly if it was something like lack of conditioning or flexibility or strength.

Cultivate patience. It seems some days that every other thread here is from someone who's having to take time off and is itching to get back on the mat. Having been there, I sympathize; having made the kind of dumb mistakes that so many posters seem to want to talk themselves into out of sheer impatience, I'm a bit exasperated. Find the patience. You're not the first one to feel this frustration, but it's nothing to what you'll feel if you don't manage to overcome it.
Once again, this is the better course of action. I will be patient, watch and learning. Actually I hurt my knee from my days as a competing PowerLifter. Those 600lbs squat really put a hurt on the knees and 750lbs deadlifts can come back and bite you also. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Darryl Bronson wrote: View Post
Hello Aikido family!

Well it's only been a week since my Arthroscopic Knee Surgery; however, I have not been able to practice Aikido for 3 weeks prior and I have another "6 weeks" of recovery to go!

Help! I'm having Aikido withdrawal! "Ya know wat am saying"

Does anyone have a suggest for me while I recovery from my surgery? One of my fellow dojo member said I should take this time to practice my Bokan katas, which is a good suggestion and I have started doing the katas in my back yard. I had been going to class once a week to watch and I would long for the day I can return to the mat for real Aikido practice. Because it seem on the days I was just watching they would always be practicing a most wonderful technique that I always wanted to learn. "Well every technique is one I always wanted to learn". Are there any other katas I can practice, I'm still new in Aikido so any suggestion will be of a great help.

I have been ride the stationary bike and leg lifts as to aid in my recovery; however, I miss Aikido!!!
Hello,

I think Mary's advice (Post #3) is exactly right. To which I would add: Have the courage to forget all about aikido for the time you are on rehab. Six to eight weeks absence is not so long. And if you have had surgery, you need to follow your doctor's advice, rather than your own aikido 'instincts'.

I m not new to aikido, by the way.

Best wishes,

PS. Really, do not skimp on rehab, otherwise you might well have severe knee problems later in life.

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

One thing you might add to your rehab is very slow and mindful footwork, all the time observing what the effect is on your legs and knees. I'd do it without the distraction of a weapons kata though, just simple stepping and shifting weight and observing what happens.

kvaak
Pauliina
Old 05-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Darryl Bronson

United_States

Thanks for the words of wisdom and patients, I will hear and learn.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

When I injured my knee, I was very depressed and angry about my inability to train. I was also afraid that I wouldn't heal, and that a major part of my life would not be possible anymore. It was bothering me so much that I was very moody and I got loud with a co-worker.

After cooling off and apologizing, I took stock of what was goin on in my head. It seemed that I was so upset about not training that I had forgotten every lesson that training had taught me.

Something my boss said to me tipped me off. She said, "James, this isn't you. Not at all."

It was then that I learned that the mild pain killer/anti-inflammatory that my doctor prescribed listed severe depression among its possible side effects. I called my doctor and asked if I could stop taking it, and he gave me the ok.

I was back to myself within days.

Everybody's circumstances are different, but I still have to ask just how upset this is making you. Are you ok?

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 05-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #10
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

If I were in your shoes, I would not dare forgetting all about Aikido during my recovery time. I have very poor coordination, and that would make resuming my training even more difficult. But that's just me. I do not know what would work for somebody else. What about bringing a notebook with you when you go watch the class, and take random notes about everything you observe? You might be surprised by what you will be reading when you go back home.
Besides that, yes, be patient, and resist the temptation to resume your training too early, or you might need even more patience later on!
Take care of yourself, and good luck.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

If I were you, I would take a passive road to recovery. You don't want to extend your off time longer then neccessary. I say, watch class when you can, read about aikido, maybe watch a seminar on dvd (I know Birankai has these) or heck.... watch a movie with aikido in it and then think about the techniques you see and think about how you would do them. Would you do it differently?

You will have plenty of time on the mat. If you most practice the bokken, then I say - sit in a chair and practice strengthening your wrists by putting your bokken in one hand only and just lift the bokken up and down using your wrise (no arm). This will help your form tremendously and you won't chance hurting your knee. My sensei is getting injections in his knee and isn't able to do a lot at the moment. He says it is torture to see class and not join. :O) So try to take it easy and that will help speed up your recovery.

Good luck!

Last edited by ninjaqutie : 05-14-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Sarah Lothmann

Dojo: Glendal, AZ
United_States

Thanks for starting this thread!! I've been wondering the same thing myself... I'm on week 10 1/2 of being out of Aikido from an injury.... Boy oh boy can I identify with the sweet yet sourness of watching class. You know what? Keep going!!! It's worth it I swear! I've been going to watch 3-4x p/week and I journal everything that I see. Hey, it's better than no Aikido right?

The universe is infinite with blessings.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
Janet Rosen

another voice in favor of following rehab closely and watching classes meanwhile.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #14
Walter Martindale
Canada

Hi.. Sorry you needed the surgery but as everyone else has said - be patient.
It took me almost a year to learn how to use my knee without it dislocating when climbing stairs after the ACL was ruptured. At the end of it, I was rowing "varsity" level, running stairs for 45 minutes 2/week, and doing rowing-specific weights 2-3/week. However, never did return to judo.
Be pain free for a while before returning to the mats. Move carefully and slowly when you do - it's easy to forget, and move suddenly the wrong way and "pop" goes the new ligament...
After a few years you may forget you had the surgery as your CNS will have learned to control the leg...
ramble, ramble, ramble...
W
Old 05-14-2009, 11:04 PM   #15
ChuckP
United_States

I can't wait to START! I signed up for a beginners class like 2 months ago and haven't heard anything back yet. I really excited about starting and can't wait to start learning.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #16
CNYMike
Dojo: Aikido of Central New York
United_States

[self promotion]

Sounds like you might be an Aikido addict.

[/self promotion]

"I am not a big fat panda. I am the big fat panda." --Po, Kung Fu Panda
Old 05-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #17
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Viox had that depressive, irritable effect for me. So did steriods. If you find yourself having that kind of reaction, talk to your doc immediately.

Try applying the discipline of aikido to your rehab. Works wonders!

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)