Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-25-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
jon_jankus
Dojo: aikido of westchester
Ai symbol staying cool

So now in the Northeast, we've gone straight from cold to a heat wave with high humidity. So here's my question:

What is the coolest (as in "light and breathes well", not "man, do I look good!") aikido dogi a guy can buy? I got the 8.5oz bujin, but it's very tightly woven (not a criticism) and not much cooler than the standard weight.

Please help! Summer Seminars are looming!
Old 02-27-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
BLangille
Ive been wondering the same thing myself. Lets have some suggestions! Does anyone find it helpful to wear a cotton T-shirt to help soak up the sweat?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States
i haven't tried the cotten shirt, i have thought that another layer would only increase my torment. you can get cheap and lightweight karate gis at almost any martial arts supply shop, usually for 15-20 bucks; they are not terribly durable or well made, but they are breathy and lightweight, and affordable enough (if you're there) to get more than one in case yours soaks through or busts apart in the middle of a summercamp.

i always like stuffing a hankerchief or something into my gi, to use for mopping the sweat off my hands/wrists/forehead/eyes/chest during keiko. maybe that will help you out too.

-jb

PS: yay aikido of westchester! i trained with you guys for the first half of this summer when i was home in New Rochelle, and want to thank you SO much for the warm hospitality that you all gave me. a very inviting environment; it was a really great place to train, and i hope you are having fun. please pass along my best to Doug Sensei.

Last edited by Josh Bisker : 02-27-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:19 PM   #4
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
It's a bit pricey (~$30 for a t-shirt or shorts) but if you want to spend the money, UnderArmour or DriFit type undergarments that have a high wicking factor help a lot in the heat.

at least I like them --

I don't like the cotton t-shirt because it just gets soaked in sweat, and I find that uncomfortable.

=wl
Old 02-27-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States
It may sound weird.

But heat can be good for training. Just keep your body hidrated (get in a half gallon of water for every 50(?) pounds you weigh, every day).

I know it's not always fun to train when you're hot and sticky, but it's healthy non the less. Just pretend you're training in okinawa in the middle of july ^_^

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 02-28-2004, 04:53 AM   #6
paw
Quote:
UnderArmour or DriFit type undergarments that have a high wicking factor help a lot in the heat.
I always wear underarmour shirts when I train. Their ability to wick away sweat and keep me dry is worth it. Also, unlike t-shirts, they fit snugly against the body so you don't have to worry about them being grabbed and ripped by accident. I hightly recommend underarmour.

Regards,

Paul
Old 02-29-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
willy_lee
Dojo: City Aikido
I also like the underarmour shorts. I used to get heat rash pretty bad sometimes in the summer. No more! Now my crotch is my coolest feeling part

This thread ties in nicely with the current poll, doesn't it?

=wl
Old 02-29-2004, 09:34 PM   #8
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan
Quote:
Josh Bisker wrote:
i haven't tried the cotten shirt, i have thought that another layer would only increase my torment. you can get cheap and lightweight karate gis at almost any martial arts supply shop, usually for 15-20 bucks; they are not terribly durable or well made, but they are breathy and lightweight, and affordable enough (if you're there) to get more than one in case yours soaks through or busts apart in the middle of a summercamp.
I first started training with a thin dogi, but as someone who sweats a fair bit it ends up like training in a plastic bag: no sweat absorption (not after the first 5 minutes, anyway), they stick to you & apart from feeling rather icky, your motion can be hindered.

I could only imagine a normal t-shirt would be even worse (if not as constrictive), though these underarmour ones are getting some good wraps.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #9
Hogan
Quote:
Brian Langille (BLangille) wrote:
Ive been wondering the same thing myself. Lets have some suggestions! Does anyone find it helpful to wear a cotton T-shirt to help soak up the sweat?
YES !
Old 05-25-2004, 09:51 AM   #10
BLangille
Re: staying cool

Ive been experimenting now that we've had some hot weather here.
Cotton T-shirt - feels good at first, but uncomfortable and restrictive after it gets wet

Underarmour shirt- tends to keep heat in when worn as an underneath layer. Feels great if you wear it alone while working out though.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #11
Gareth Hinds
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston

As someone pointed out on another thread, you might consider actually wearing a *heavier* gi, as it will stand out from your body and allow more air circulation.

The same is not true, in my experience, for hakamas; so you might want a lightweight one of those for summer training.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:17 PM   #12
Chris Birke

Plus, you look real cool in undearmor... like some sort of cyborg ninja. *cough*

(yeah... I wear it too)