Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #51
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom
Re: Which Martial Art for Kids - Aikido / Taekwondo / Karate / Judo ...

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
That's a very good kanku dai. If she's that good, it's not because some adult is standing over her and forcing her to train, train, train -- you simply can't force that level of skill, and particularly not from a child.
Actually, I have seen more than a few clubs over the years with lots of kids that are really, really good. Maybe not this good, but still, I remain impressed with Karate's 'power' over kids. It is teachable.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #52
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Personally, I like judo for young kids. Sport-based teaching, lots of rough-housing to burn off energy and let them compete while still learning good sportsmanship. The whole time developing a strong sense of self-esteem and self-confidence, and what seems to be a real sense of self-defense if needed. I mean, what 7 year old is really going to be intimidated by a tough-talking bully when that 7 year old "fights" with his friends an average of 10-25 times a class, standing up and on the ground rolling around?

Opinions vary, but I think judo is best for the young kids. Later on, when attention spans increase, then the formalistic striking arts (you pick one, i.e. karate styles, taekwondo, tang soo do, standing forms of jujitsu, etc.) are all good for developing self-confidence and discipline. I'd be concerned - depending on school - about the "actual ability" to defend oneself (e.g. the ATA and other TKD tournaments are NOT "fighting," IMO... I did that stuff for 20 years and learned more about a fight in 2 months of Muay Thai training, again with friends.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #53
lbb
United_States

Quote:
John Powell wrote: View Post
(e.g. the ATA and other TKD tournaments are NOT "fighting," IMO... I did that stuff for 20 years and learned more about a fight in 2 months of Muay Thai training, again with friends.
...but did you get a camouflage belt?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #54
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
...but did you get a camouflage belt?
LOL! Mary, I pre-dated the inception of the 10-color system in place in the ATA now by a few years, thank goodness.... I was working on my advancement to 2nd degree when all that stuff came down the pipe from Little Rock. I got out when they got so uber-protective and started making everyone wear the head-gear with face shields, full protection down the forearms and shins and then the coverings of the hands/feet. And, on top of all that, the big, mondo chest protector that everyone has to wear now.... it's going to a boxing match wearing armor, sortof. So, that's when I shifted into Muay Thai at a pro gym, where amateurs like myself could train as well, and the hapkido, in which there were no pads. Hapkido sparring at that school was interesting, and a bit real world, but you learned control because if you blasted your buddy, he'd be out for however long and when he came back he'd be unhappy with you and return the favor. To say nothing of what the instructor would say about his bottom line. But, I digress.

Camo belts... lol... still cracks me up!

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:38 AM   #55
royenbryan
United_States

Quote:
Sam Leung wrote: View Post
I really appreciate everyone's response here and various perspectives that get me thinking. Thank you all!

Would you make a different recommendation, if the kid is a girl? Do girls fight on the playground, or it is primarily a boy thing?
Hi Taichi24,

I agree with Peter R, most of the kids like school yard fights. According to my opinion if kids start learning martial arts in young age then they acquire knowledge how to handle or fend off school bullies.

When it comes to right age to learn so I would like to share my own experience:

I don't think that it is just a boy thing because my sister started karate when she was 7. She started wrestling when she was 12. She's 14 now, and she's a pretty skilled martial artist. You can also refer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7c3U3B6pQ to gain more information.

Regards
Royen