Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
akiy

YouTube: Mitsuteru Ueshiba at 53rd All-Japan Aikido Demonstrations

Here's a video of Mitsuteru Ueshiba (Dojo-Cho, Aikikai Hombu Dojo) demonstrating at the recent 53rd All-Japan Aikido Demonstrations.

What are your thoughts on this video?

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Smile Re: YouTube: Mitsuteru Ueshiba at 53rd All-Japan Aikido Demonstrations

I try to emulate Waka Sensei Suwari waza all the time! Just like his fathers. Very smooth.

Motto tsuyoku
Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Asou

Dojo: Shaniz Dojo
Indonesia
Re: YouTube: Mitsuteru Ueshiba at 53rd All-Japan Aikido Demonstrations

power... more powerrr
Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 AM   #4
j0nharris
Dojo: Kododan Aikido USA
United_States

Not quite as relaxed as dad, but I'm sure he'll get there!

jon harris

Life is a journey...
Now, who took my @#$%! map?!
Old 06-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

A fine display of posture, balance and movement. I like it.

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 06-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
barron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Canada
Smile Re: YouTube: Mitsuteru Ueshiba at 53rd All-Japan Aikido Demonstrations

What I have always appreciated is the Doshu/Waka Sensei's do not go for the flash in their demonstrations but rather clean techniques that demonstrate the kihon principles of Hombu Dojo. (I also know that even at Hombu there are many varied styles of our art.) The Ueshiba demos ( as well as other Shihans) are very useful for teaching purposes and eliminate some of the of the "personal/association styles" that in some cases can lead new practitioners to become confused about the "proper" way to do a technique.

To follow this up I also learn from all the demonstrations/seminars where Shihans/Sensies show how they have personally developing their understanding of the art. Can we really judge Endo vs Tessier vs Osawa vs Shirakawa et al; but rather compare,observe and study what they do, and then try to understand the efficacy of their movements.

I have been to a number of seminars over the past couple of decades and have tried to "steal" some ideas that I have observed but it pains me to see people on the mats on these occasions that simply return to their dojos "techniques' once the instructors asks them to "try" what they have demonstrated.

I remember when Asai Shihan came from Germany in 2001 to do a seminar in our dojo and how he said, and I paraphrase, " In this semnar I would like you to do the technique the way I teach it but when you return to your dojo do what your Sensie says."

Aikido is IMHO open to too much discussion and arguments on what Aikido should be and what is the "proper"way to do a technique.

At 64 years of age I'm looking forward to the next couple of decades ... I hope ... as a practitioner ,observer and contemplator of the "Art of Aikido".

Andrew Barron
Old 06-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
Cynrod
United_States

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote: View Post
A fine display of posture, balance and movement. I like it.
I second that .

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba