Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Testing

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-03-2002, 07:25 AM   #1
Jat2
Smile First test

I was recently introduced to the martial arts called aikido. I trained as often as I could and found myself to be almost the equal of my seniors. Our sensei greatly commended this accomplishment and told me i have to start the test soon. I am taking 6th kyu. I know it's not much but considering it to be my first I feel quite nervous. I don't know which aspect i should train more of. Can you help me on this, some tips and pieces of advice will do.

live
Old 09-03-2002, 09:15 AM   #2
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Humility springs to mind.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:35 AM   #3
Azrael
Dojo: n/a
I agree. just relax and train with your mind on what's at hand. don't be wondering what you can be learning next. take it as it comes. patience will grant you many long happy years in training.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:50 AM   #4
Azrael
Dojo: n/a
My last post probably sounded really rude. all i'm trying to say is that you're obviously really keen to learn which is a good thing. just don't rush it. given time you'll learn many things. Just go with what you're sensei wants you to do.
Old 09-03-2002, 11:14 AM   #5
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Aikido is not solely a physical practice. Maturity and "seasoning" are important aspects of this art. Thinking, and saying in a very public forum, that you are already equal to your seniors, is a breach of good taste and sensibility.

Then again, this is my feeling, and others may feel very different. And it is with this in mind that I suggested "humility" as something to work on.

Just keep training.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:49 AM   #6
Genex

Dojo: Warrington Seishin Kai
Freaky!

dude i'm right there with you my 6th kyu test is a week on sunday at a seminar IN FRONT OF BILLIONS OF PEOPLE!!!! n stuff, still gotta laugh eh?

*cower, cringe, whine*

hmmm if i could just remember past 2 on my 31 jo kata!!!

PANIC!!!

i need another holiday, i've got all the other stuff down tho

ikkyo, nikkyo, sankyo, yonkyo

Iriminage, tenchinage, shihonage, kotageishi.

theres also one we've got to do which is

uchi soto kaiten nage, is it an overhead cut to reverse rotary throw? or sommat, looks impresive anyhoo. plus the 7 bokuto suburi, 31 jo kata, shikko, breakfalls, ukemi, atemi and just about all the other stuff i cant remember and do all the moves aihanmi and guyakyuhanmi etc...

but dont feel overwhelmed, just think about all the stuff you have to do on your 1st kyu test!!!

yoroshiku, pete

like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick. - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy on the Pan-galactic Gargleblaster!
Old 09-07-2002, 01:23 PM   #7
suebailey
England
good luck Genex hope it goes well mate just keep focused on te task at hand and ull be fine!

with out the heart there can be no understanding between body and mind and if u have never linked ur self to true emptiness you will never comprehend the full dimension of aikido.