Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
Jess McDonald
United_States
Weapons training rocks!!!

I know it's self evident but I just wanted to say that.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Weapons training rocks!!!

Yes, it certainly does. I find that when my students' empty-hand techniques get sloppy, putting weapons in their hands usually clues them in.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 08-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Tinyboy344

United_States

I dont like training with weapons as much but it's just my personal oppinion... I guess we're all different
Old 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Mike Hamer

Dojo: Shinki Rengo, Mt. Pleasant MI
United_States

I cant wait to do weapons training. Ive had my sensei pull out bokken and jo to demonstrate technique, but Ive never done it myself.

To speak ill of anything is against the nature of Aikido
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
p00kiethebear

Dojo: Tonbo Dojo
United_States

We don't train with rocks in our dojo, mostly just sticks. What kind of technique do you use with rocks?

I am the king of bad puns.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"
Old 08-16-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
thkun
Dojo: 村山
Macao

i think training with weapons is good idea in aikido. some people's practice is too soft and fake for striking and gripping. the situation will change when the opponent is holding a weapon. the feeling and the atmosphere will become more serious and dangerous by using a bokken, wooden knife or jo.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:20 PM   #7
Brad Pruitt
Dojo: High Desert Aikido
United_States

I love weapons training. It connects me to a whole other side of my aikido.I really like the jo/bo. The fluidity that can be acheived is something more than I know how to express in words in print.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Nathan Gidney wrote:
What kind of technique do you use with rocks?
Ganseki otoshi?

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #9
Aristeia
New Zealand

I used to love weapons. The problem faced by both me and I think the organisation I was in, was how to you progress weapons to a high level while still practicing empty hand. How do you balance the time? A dedicated weapons class once a week that only some students show up to, or a little but of weapons in every class. What are peoples thoughts?

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 AM   #10
hapkidoike

Weapons training is certainly good fun. I am greatful for it given that I jacked myself up in a motorcycle accident two weeks ago (bit off piece of tounge, jacked up ribs, smashed left hand, a little road rash) and that is all I, or my will allow, me to do.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:45 AM   #11
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

This is a reply to Michael Fooks: I put a little bit of weapons in the last 1/2 hour of every class, and on the one day per week where I have a weapons class, the last 1/2hour is given to empty hand. I have always been inspired by the way it is said that O'Sensei taught: moving freely back and forth between weapons and empty hand practices in a single class. In gassho

Mark
Old 08-17-2006, 06:23 AM   #12
Aristeia
New Zealand

how long are your classes Mark?

Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 AM   #13
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

An hour and a half, but the Sunday weapons class is two hours. The Saturday empty hand class is two hours also. So there's four classes a week Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. Roughly then, each week there is three hours of weapons and four hours of empty hand. Not all students come to every class or even the same class, so I try to bring everyone along, and it works out.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #14
Brad Pruitt
Dojo: High Desert Aikido
United_States

Quote:
I used to love weapons. The problem faced by both me and I think the organisation I was in, was how to you progress weapons to a high level while still practicing empty hand. How do you balance the time? A dedicated weapons class once a week that only some students show up to, or a little but of weapons in every class. What are peoples thoughts?
We don't practice all that much in our dojo maybe 1 hour a week. In the summer we have "jo in the park" and that's usually 2 full classes a month at some park around town.Almost everyone shows up for these. The students that really enjoy the weapons work practice on their own.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
Aristeia
New Zealand

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
An hour and a half, but the Sunday weapons class is two hours. The Saturday empty hand class is two hours also. So there's four classes a week Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun. Roughly then, each week there is three hours of weapons and four hours of empty hand. Not all students come to every class or even the same class, so I try to bring everyone along, and it works out.
Thanks, that makes sense, our sessions were an hour which is why we found it hard to squeeze everything in. I would have like to have seen 1.5-2 hr sessions at least some of the time.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #16
Jess McDonald
United_States

WOW!! Thanks for all the comments guys!! I think every dojo should incorporate some weapons training. That's what really got me hooked into this whole thing that is aikido. We train a little weapons every class. Sometimes longer than others, every now and again not at all, but I find it very complimentary to empty-hand and definitely focuses my attention! Anyway...
onegai shimasu
Old 08-18-2006, 09:03 PM   #17
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

I soooo wish we had a regular weapons class! We did some of Saito Sensei's paired sword forms for the last couple of Saturdays and yes, the stuff that I cannot feel in myself in empty hand becomes much more evident in weapons work. I can feel the flinch response more clearly and believe that if I can practice these forms the problems I am having with entering into my technique will be cured much quicker.
And since I have been informed that my 2nd kyu test will be entirely about entering for me...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 08-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #18
Leiv
Uruguay

Quote:
James Davis, Jr. wrote:
I find that when my students' empty-hand techniques get sloppy, putting weapons in their hands usually clues them in.
Quite helpful indeed. When ever I am stuck on a technique, the dojo-cho usually has me go through the motion with a bokken and that really clears things up.
However, I find it to be quite the opposite when they try to teach me techniques with the jo. Who'd of thought a 155cm long stick could be so complicated?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #19
Jess McDonald
United_States

Hi Jo Adell!! I also live and train in Petaluma!! What a coincidence!! I train on the Pet. Blvd. on Water St. underneath Kodiak Jack's. My dojo is Sugawara Budo of Petaluma; I've heard of yours but am not sure of it's exact location. I saw your post and had to say hi! If your really into weapons training perhaps you'd like to come to class sometime. Your obviously experienced (2nd kyu test and all); I bet your sensei even knows about us! Such a small world you know?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:45 PM   #20
Tinyboy344

United_States

Learn how to defense against tanto/knife... I'd love to know how cuz it's closest to a real life situation... I mean how often do you see a person carry a katana around to attack you.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #21
Leiv
Uruguay

Quote:
Duy Trinh wrote:
Learn how to defense against tanto/knife... I'd love to know how cuz it's closest to a real life situation... I mean how often do you see a person carry a katana around to attack you.
How often do you get attacked period? The best defence is a healthy sprint and a good head start.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #22
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Hey Jess

Well howdy neighbor! I have talked to your sensei about training in Katori Shinto Ryu but the class schedules conflict with my own schedule, unfortunately. and I cannot afford membership in two dojos. Our dojo is right up the street from yours, on Western ave. Feel free to drop in anytime (but ask your sensei first-although I'm sure he wouldn't mind, he drops in with us sometimes, too).

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 08-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #23
Tinyboy344

United_States

Quote:
Leiv Harstad wrote:
How often do you get attacked period? The best defence is a healthy sprint and a good head start.
Good advice
Old 08-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #24
Jess McDonald
United_States

Sweet!! Looks like we're sure to run into each other eventually. -I sense our fates are bound in this way- sorry, I just had an enlightenment moment. Don't you just love those?!