Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Daniel Lloyd
Dojo: Nathan Dojo
Australia
Re: Jun Akiyama

Quote:
Daniel Lloyd wrote: View Post
What style of Aikido do you practice? What's training like? What's your lineage for your particular dojo? Have you only practiced Aikido or have you dabbled in other arts?
I also requested everyone else on the forum answer these questions too, I'm curious about their Aikido backgrounds and any other training they have received. So I'll share mine.

I practice Aikido Yuishinkai, a branch off from Ki Society. Only recently, due to some great advice from Tony and my own father, that I start taking Aikido seriously and train in a more serious and curious manner. I have only practiced Aikido but have had suggestions to take up Judo to further understand balance breaking and the such. I also hope to take up Kenjutsu or another sword art to better understand the weapons side to Aikido.

Keen to hear others.

Daniel
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Daniel, I understand your curiosity. I'd say that for many of us who have been on this and similar forums for years, we've answered these questions so many times for newbies that (1) many of us know each other's backgrounds already and (2) we aren't in a big rush to do it again.
I'm an aikimutt who has trained since 1996 in dojos representing a fairly wide spectrum of what is covered under the broad umbrella of Aikikai + more recently a dojo w/ lineage originally from very early Ki Society but for a longtime independent, plus played at seminars w/ high ranking folks from a variety of other flavors plus offshoots. I've done a little koryu sword and jo work and wish I were geographically located to do more, regularly. My only previous martial art was being from Brooklyn.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Flintstone
Dojo: Wherever I happen to be
Spain
Re: What's Your Aikido Background?

Aikijujutsu Yoseikan.
Aikido (Tamura line and some exposure to Iwama Ryu).
Nihon Taijutsu.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Aikikai, following Tissier shihan and Endo shihan.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada

Aikikai. My teachers have all been students of Kanai sensei.

Jonathan Olson
Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Iwama.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

aikido in the background and foreground and in-between grounds

Saotome Sensei said he has no style. He just does aikido and so i am.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
Saotome Sensei said he has no style. .
You know I hate to disagree with such an eminent person... but as a budobabe I always strive to do aikido with style

Janet Rosen
Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #9
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Aikido background

Quote:
I also requested everyone else on the forum answer these questions too, I'm curious about their Aikido backgrounds and any other training they have received. So I'll share mine.

I practice Aikido Yuishinkai, a branch off from Ki Society. Only recently, due to some great advice from Tony and my own father, that I start taking Aikido seriously and train in a more serious and curious manner. I have only practiced Aikido but have had suggestions to take up Judo to further understand balance breaking and the such. I also hope to take up Kenjutsu or another sword art to better understand the weapons side to Aikido.

Keen to hear others.

Daniel
My main experience with Aikido comes from Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja. I don't believe we're traditionally aligned with any particular organization, but for what it's worth I've heard us described as a mix of Tohei and Chiba. We're kind of our own thing when it comes to lineage, as I understand it, coming from a family style of jujutsu.
I also have some experience with the Himeji Shodokan club, which trains very closely with Shodokan Hombu dojo.
Two great places I would highly recommend anyone to try!
Take care,
matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #10
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:

Keen to hear others.

Daniel
Daniel

I am pleased that you have decided to study Judo. All the best teachers that I have ever studied with came from Judo to Aikido. These are not teachers that I have attended a seminar with, but studied long term.........Kenshiro Abbe Sensei ~ Tadashi Abe ~ Masahilo Nakazono ~ TK Chiba....It will be good for you. I too came from Judo to Aikido in 1957.

Henry Ellis
http://henryellis-aikido.blogspot.com/
Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I have been a direct student of Imaizumi Sensei since I started Aikido. That being said, I love to go out to seminars and experience other styles.

Marc Abrams
Old 03-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #12
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Daniel

I am pleased that you have decided to study Judo. All the best teachers that I have ever studied with came from Judo to Aikido. These are not teachers that I have attended a seminar with, but studied long term.........Kenshiro Abbe Sensei ~ Tadashi Abe ~ Masahilo Nakazono ~ TK Chiba....It will be good for you. I too came from Judo to Aikido in 1957.

Henry Ellis
Henry,
Most of the older guys in the U.K were judoka. As a matter fact the late Mick Holloway 6th Dan Shihan , said years ago that when he started training with Chiba Sensei he thought it was Judo he was doing.Chiba Sensei also stated he could never miss a class because
he knew Mick never missed a practice.Mr Holloway was one of the most dedicated students I have ever known.Funny thing was Mick's aikido was totally different from Chiba Sensei's aikido.In an era where
there were aikidoka trying to emulate Chiba Sense[ clones] Mick was
an exception.He did not imitate anybody , he was himself.
Cheers, Joe
Old 03-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

My aikido background.
Came into Aikido via Judo [13 years]. Original teacher William Coyle Sensei[recently deceased ]/Met Chiba Sensei late sixties/early seventies.I am a first generation student of Chiba Sensei.He is my primary teacher and he has had the most influence on my aikido /mindset.
Having said that I have been also exposed to other Shihan , who I have found to be very interesting.These include Tamura/Sekiya/Nobu Iseri/Yamaguchi Shihan.to name but a few.I consider myself to be quite catholic in my training.I used to travel all over the place , studying with loads of different Shihan. Cut back a bit last few years-body cracking up ,time is catching up with me big time.Ready for the gluepot!!
Joe
Old 03-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #14
Hellis
England

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Henry,
Most of the older guys in the U.K were judoka. As a matter fact the late Mick Holloway 6th Dan Shihan , said years ago that when he started training with Chiba Sensei he thought it was Judo he was doing.Chiba Sensei also stated he could never miss a class because
he knew Mick never missed a practice.Mr Holloway was one of the most dedicated students I have ever known.Funny thing was Mick's aikido was totally different from Chiba Sensei's aikido.In an era where
there were aikidoka trying to emulate Chiba Sense[ clones] Mick was
an exception.He did not imitate anybody , he was himself.
Cheers, Joe
Joe

As you know ``all`` the early students came from Judo as you did, we travelled around the UK visiting Judo dojos trying, and sometimes succeeding in promoting Aikido. Can you imagine going into some of those old dojos and doing some of that soft stuff we see today I doubt they would have given you the choice of the door or window for your exit...Early Aikido owes a lot to Judo in the UK.

Henry Ellis
Old 03-25-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
sakumeikan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Joe

As you know ``all`` the early students came from Judo as you did, we travelled around the UK visiting Judo dojos trying, and sometimes succeeding in promoting Aikido. Can you imagine going into some of those old dojos and doing some of that soft stuff we see today I doubt they would have given you the choice of the door or window for your exit...Early Aikido owes a lot to Judo in the UK.

Henry Ellis
Dear Henry,
As a judoka I had trained with many very famous judoka, Geesink, Minatoya, Saburo Matsushita, Kisaburo Watanabe George Kerr. These men were really hard , solid martial artists. However when I saw Chiba Sensei for the first time in Chiswick he was in a different league.I never saw such power coming from anyone like I saw that first time. Chiba Sensei was like a panther,
with an air of danger about his presence.Some people found him
intimidating and they were uneasy in his presence.Personally i found Chiba Sensei MARTIAL attitude intriguing.
As you say if you did Aikido in the early days you needed stamina, lots of energy , determination and an ability to endure pain.Misogi training was serious stuff.3000 Suburi off the belt, hundreds of suwariwaza ikkyo non stop.Your gi would be soaking , like a washing cloth.Despite the fact I had years of Judo training under my belt, aikido was sure tough.After a few sessions under Chiba Sensei my body ached from top to bottom.I think the Judo was a necessary process in order for me to enter the Aikido community. I am indebted to all my Judo teachers and erstwhile training partners for their efforts in forging my body and my mind.
Oh , how I miss the good old days!!
Joe.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
As you say if you did Aikido in the early days you needed stamina, lots of energy , determination and an ability to endure pain.Misogi training was serious stuff.3000 Suburi off the belt, hundreds of suwariwaza ikkyo non stop.Your gi would be soaking , like a washing cloth.Despite the fact I had years of Judo training under my belt, aikido was sure tough.After a few sessions under Chiba Sensei my body ached from top to bottom.I think the Judo was a necessary process in order for me to enter the Aikido community. I am indebted to all my Judo teachers and erstwhile training partners for their efforts in forging my body and my mind. Oh , how I miss the good old days!!
I have yet to train or meet with Chiba sensei, but I do love hearing stories from my sensei. Sensei was giving us a short lecture the other day (that Chiba had given at a seminar a while ago) about not turning our hips when he wants us to and turning them when he doesn't want us to.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Janet reeled me in with the "aikimutt" label, but I'm from the old days before Tohei Sensei founded the Ki Society, and he was at NY Aikikai as a guest teacher for four months in 1967. Also, at summer camps, Maruyama Sensei taught along similar lines.

Of course, our main teacher was Yamada Sensei, and one of his assistant teachers was Lou Kleinsmith, who was also an assistant instructor to the Tai Chi master Chen Man-ching. T K Lee, also from judo specialized in helping us with suwari waza and multiple attack. Yamada Sensei has always emphasized solid techniques and the basics, which he mentions in demonstrations and in his articles in Federation News.

Maruyama Sensei is the former teacher of Ron Ragusa and Mary Eastland, by the way. I guess I'll write more later. Thanks for asking, Daniel. My information is way old, I haven't trained much in the past twenty years but my husband has agreed to train with me so I can get back into it. He is from Shotokan karate originally, which I also studied for a few years to help my balance, but ended up liking it for itself also, including the kata.

I originally came from a women's judo course, part of the college curriculum and found Aikido confusing at first, then fascinating. Chuck finds that judo which he practiced for the past two years, helps him understand more about the Aikido he studied previously, so now we can start to train together again in Aikido. I had pretty much stopped training in the late eighties due to non aikido related knee injury, job change, family stuff etc....

Personally, I find everyone's story fascinating, so I'll keep reading and maybe add the rest of my story, which Francis Takahashi recently called "eclectic"....
Old 03-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
Hellis
England

My Aikido background.

Came to Aikido from Judo 1956 / 7.

Judo with K Williams Sensei and Kenshiro Abbe Sensei.

Karate with M Harada Sensei 1963 onwards.

Kendo with Tomio Otani Sensei 1959 onwards.

Aikido Dip: OSensei M Ueshiba ( number 349 ) - Kenshiro Abbe Sensei - Masahilo Nakazono Sensei - TK Chiba Sensei - Doshu M Ueshiba.

One of the first five dan grades for Aikido in the UK 1950s.

First Aikido teacher to introduce and teach Aikido to the UK education system 1963.

Taught at the first ever UK Aikido seminar / course with K Williams Sensei in 1959 at the Devises Judo Club....

Henry Ellis
British Aikido History
www.british-aikido.com/

Last edited by Hellis : 03-25-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

If you have to watch out for that aikimutt! She is sneaky!

good luck on getting back in!

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Janet reeled me in with the "aikimutt" label, but I'm from the old days before Tohei Sensei founded the Ki Society, and he was at NY Aikikai as a guest teacher for four months in 1967. Also, at summer camps, Maruyama Sensei taught along similar lines.

Of course, our main teacher was Yamada Sensei, and one of his assistant teachers was Lou Kleinsmith, who was also an assistant instructor to the Tai Chi master Chen Man-ching. T K Lee, also from judo specialized in helping us with suwari waza and multiple attack. Yamada Sensei has always emphasized solid techniques and the basics, which he mentions in demonstrations and in his articles in Federation News.

Maruyama Sensei is the former teacher of Ron Ragusa and Mary Eastland, by the way. I guess I'll write more later. Thanks for asking, Daniel. My information is way old, I haven't trained much in the past twenty years but my husband has agreed to train with me so I can get back into it. He is from Shotokan karate originally, which I also studied for a few years to help my balance, but ended up liking it for itself also, including the kata.

I originally came from a women's judo course, part of the college curriculum and found Aikido confusing at first, then fascinating. Chuck finds that judo which he practiced for the past two years, helps him understand more about the Aikido he studied previously, so now we can start to train together again in Aikido. I had pretty much stopped training in the late eighties due to non aikido related knee injury, job change, family stuff etc....

Personally, I find everyone's story fascinating, so I'll keep reading and maybe add the rest of my story, which Francis Takahashi recently called "eclectic"....

Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post

Just for clarification, there are two Maruyama Senseis, - Shuji Maruyama and Koretoshi Maruyama. Both were affiliated with Tohei's Ki Society in the early days, but they are not related.

Shuji is the founder of the Kokikai in Philadelphia and is the Maruyama sensei that most US and European Aikidoka are familiar with. Koretoshi Maruyama was a Honbu deshi that went with Tohei in the split and was Tohei's first chief instructor of the the Ki Society. He was mostly active in the pacific basin of Hawaii, Australia, Guam, and other pacific islands - he is currently head of the Yuishinkai and only has a handful of dojos in the US; mostly Hawaii, California, Colorado, and one dojo in Flordia.

I initially trained with Koretoshi in Guam during the mid 70s.

Greg

Last edited by gregstec : 03-26-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:21 AM   #21
kumachan
United_States

My main aikido teachers have been Ken Nisson sensei; Paul Kang sensei; Christine Jordan sensei; Mitsugi Saotome sensei; and Hiroshi Ikeda sensei. My limited experience with Yoshio Kuroiwa sensei had a big impact on my aikido as well.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #22
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Gene McGloin wrote: View Post
My main aikido teachers have been Ken Nisson sensei
I just had the pleasure of meeting Nisson Sensei at a recent seminar in California & sharing a few minutes of conversation.

Janet Rosen
Old 03-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #23
Jaon Deatherage

Dojo: Aikido of the Kootenays, Red Jade Kung Fu
Canada

late teens early 20's practiced under Hilary Dawson Sensei, Mike Chin Sensei in Victoria BC.

Then a long break occupied with other systems and styles.

More recently, Daniel Kempling, a student of TK Chiba, studying Aikido, Iai, and Kenjutsu.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #24
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Craig, thanks for the good wishes. Greg, sorry about my amnesia, I should have known. And Gene, I am very grateful to those you mentioned, unfortunately, never met Kuroiwa Sensei, though. I just have to add something about Ken Nisson Sensei that I remembered when his birthday celebration was mentioned.

Once when he was teaching pointers on free style years ago at New York Aikikai or later at Bond Street Dojo, he said "throw one problem at another".... I never forgot that and found it useful in daily life even at times when not training in Aikido.