Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-25-2003, 06:15 PM   #76
ikkainogakusei
Quote:
Cindy Perkins (cindy perkins) wrote:
nicely put
thanks
Old 02-28-2003, 12:03 AM   #77
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Talking Um...he said, "unbendable ARM" exercise...

In regards to the original poster's issue...perhaps he's been applying Ki extension to the wrong extremity?
Old 02-28-2003, 07:56 AM   #78
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
~~Yep, just another form of energy movement. One more thing to learn about and come to understand the phases of, like rising anger, test anxiety, desire to dominate, etc., whatever comes up (hehe) in you.

~~Paula~~
Old 05-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #79
Jane Woodcock

Dojo: Kuma Aikido, see web site
I don't know how you can possibly say aikido gives you a better libido. I'm usually to shattered and feel to 'achey'to do anything other than sleep after a class. Or maybe I need to stop training so hard. mmmmmmmm
Old 05-15-2003, 03:23 AM   #80
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Re: Um...he said, "unbendable ARM" exercise...

Quote:
Jamie D. Gaden (jdgaden) wrote:
In regards to the original poster's issue...perhaps he's been applying Ki extension to the wrong extremity?
LOL Jamie! Your Aikikai! Your not supposed to beleive in KI.

Guess whos comin to pay a visit to your dojo for a couple of weeks.
Old 05-15-2003, 10:15 AM   #81
jducusin

Canada
Re: Um...he said, "unbendable ARM" exercise...

Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
LOL Jamie! Your Aikikai! Your not supposed to beleive in KI.

Guess whos comin to pay a visit to your dojo for a couple of weeks.
Hey Kelly, when will you be coming out? Looks like someone could use that visit to our dojo! Hehehe ;-) In case anyone misunderstood, we definitely do believe in Ki, and actually do exercises to this effect --- albeit not as often as those in Ki Society :-)
Old 05-16-2003, 04:44 AM   #82
Kelly Allen
I'm going to try and make it to tonights class. The dojo will be electrified with my ki's presence. Either that or you'll all just point and laugh while I'm wheezing and gasping for air because I'm not in the best of arobic shape.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:36 AM   #83
jducusin

Canada
Talking Aikido? Aerobic? Hehehe...

Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
I'm going to try and make it to tonights class. The dojo will be electrified with my ki's presence. Either that or you'll all just point and laugh while I'm wheezing and gasping for air because I'm not in the best of arobic shape.
Great! It'll be good to have some new folks out.

Hey, don't worry about it --- that pointing and laughing stuff? It's just that spirit of Aiki love and harmony that you'll be bringing into the dojo Aikido isn't supposed to be aerobic anyway! I mean, heck --- if O Sensei could throw folks around without even touching them, you'll do just fine, right?

Hope to see you out!
Old 05-17-2003, 02:40 AM   #84
Kelly Allen
Ended up haveing a friend from out of town come over for dinner. I guess I'll see you next week instead.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:44 PM   #85
jducusin

Canada
Quote:
Kelly Allen wrote:
Ended up haveing a friend from out of town come over for dinner. I guess I'll see you next week instead.
No problem --- it turned out to be a pretty small class anyway. See you next week!
Old 06-16-2003, 02:13 PM   #86
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido
I've been training for about three years now, and I've started to notice some of the newbie-guys giving me a horrible awe-filled look from time to time. It's not love, or even attraction really; it's just what Cindy and Jane were describing. I think it's just the hard-wired impact of physical contact on a social species whose culture allows very little physical contact in other areas, combined with that innitial awe over what aikido can do.

While it's true, for me at least, that sexuality should be kept strictly off the mat, I think that this physicality is something different - and it seems obvious in the body language, now, when someone is getting the two confused.

-LK
Old 06-18-2003, 01:43 PM   #87
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 7e026423
Anonymous User
So mike, if sex is wrong, then technically your parents are both immoral beings and you are a mistake comitted by fools who lost the path?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:49 AM   #88
mike lee
no mistake

Lust is wrong, love is right.
Old 06-19-2003, 01:27 AM   #89
ikkainogakusei
Re: no mistake

Quote:
Mike Lee (mike lee) wrote:
So if you lust after someone you love, and they love you back, are you doing them wrong?

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-19-2003, 01:45 AM   #90
mike lee
Quote:
So if you lust after someone you love, and they love you back, are you doing them wrong?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:12 PM   #91
ikkainogakusei
Freaky! apply all circumstances to one phrase, add water

Quote:
Ah the planet Platonia, in the system Extremidae. I see it in the distance, I do not know it well.

Old 06-24-2003, 06:28 AM   #92
mike lee
no direction, no hope

The Buddhist sutras define ignorance as the inability to distinguish right from wrong.

Proceeding on the path of ignorance is not Tao. By engaging in the practice of aikdo, we are supposed to be practicing a Tao, an enlightened way or the Great Way.

Practicing aikido in a state of ignorance will only yield small results.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:02 AM   #93
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 19361295
Anonymous User
Mike, what do I get for practicing half in ignorance? (I still have difficulty distinguishing right from left?)
Old 06-24-2003, 08:14 AM   #94
mike lee
missing the narrow gate

Quote:
Mike, what do I get for practicing half in ignorance?
You tell me.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #95
ikkainogakusei
different direction different hope different love

Quote:
The Buddhist sutras define ignorance as the inability to distinguish right from wrong.

Proceeding on the path of ignorance is not Tao. By engaging in the practice of aikdo, we are supposed to be practicing a Tao, an enlightened way or the Great Way.

Practicing aikido in a state of ignorance will only yield small results.
By stating that I do not know something well I am hinting that it is not something that I follow. I believe that I can distinguish right from wrong. We may both have a different understanding of the word lust and I would hazard a guess that neither of us 'knows' lust by Socratic definition.

If we were to consider the definition of lust as an 'overwhelming desire or craving..an intense eagerness or enthusiasm' or even in the obselete fashion of 'Pleasure; relish.' It is understandable that isolating the word desire and magnifying it in an extreme way, then applying a tennet of Buddhism (oversimplified) 'all desire begets pain' then yes one could conclude all_lust_is_bad. But what of a 'lust for life'? Is this bad? Could verve be a sin? I could not see it in that fashion.

To discuss a word/concept/state of mind/being in absolutes and ignore its other potentialities, might cause one to willfully blind themselves from the view of it in-the-round. To ignore the full view could be a state of ignorance as well. My humble impression of the Tao, or the Way is that 'only' does not preceed it.

This line of thought does interest me. However, it lends itself to a style of discussion which has been discouraged on this site. So I put it to you Mike; send me an email and we can continue it without holding others hostage.

ikkainogakusei@yahoo.com

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-24-2003, 06:46 PM   #96
cbrf4zr2
In response to the original post...

Yes, it heightens it. I am probably one of the most intense people I know. My motto is "If you don't feel like throwing up when you are done, you haven't trained hard enough." That goes for Aikido, and it applies to me playing football, and when I used to play basketball, when I run, when I lift, when I do everything.

That being said - while I am on the mat, on the field, on the court, on the street, at the gym, I am fully concentrated with what I do. Sometimes I'm fully exhausted, but I have a quick recovery time and within an hour or so, I'm wired. Sometimes I feel like going for another run, playing another game, doing another set, training longer, and yes...sometimes it involves wishing I was going home to someone to have "fun" with.

...then again, that's just me.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #97
Kyri Honigh
Dojo: Aikido Curacao
All positive feelings as in trust, caring and such should be welcomed in a dojo.But I think you shouldn't let any kind of feeling interfere with training.If your awareness of somebody being sexually attractive is bothering someone, then that feeling shouldn't be expressed at least. ( Good time to check if you aren't sexually/emotionally frustrated!!!)

My God as a seventeen year old, I am confused about the feelings a lot of adults get when doing aikido...Hehhehe
Old 06-27-2003, 05:26 AM   #98
mike lee
can't get there from here

Quote:
But what of a 'lust for life'? Is this bad?
No. It just doesn't make sense. I think the phrase is "a zest for life."

Corrupted zest may become lust. The wise know the difference. The ignorant don't.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:31 AM   #99
mike lee
reality check

Quote:
Good time to check if you aren't sexually/emotionally frustrated!!!
What would you do if your were?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:54 AM   #100
Jesse Lee
Dojo: Tenzan Aikido, formerly named Seattle Aikikai
In reply to the original post: Aikido has heightened my awareness of energy and interaction, and sometimes I get into the "it's a lot like dancing" aikido groove. My wife might derive the occasional benefit therefrom, I suppose....

But what has really complicated my love life is my BJJ training. I wonder if any other BJJ comrades suffer as I do, from a significant other's merciless teasing and innuendo of what happens during BJJ "training" that consists of wrestling and flopping around on the mat?

And if she suspects that even the merest hint of ju jitsu is being sneakily applied whilst we are in the clinch, hoo boy do I get a fun little earful of protestation.

OK... did I just share too much?

, can't find m s