Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-20-2003, 09:19 PM   #1
villrg0a

Dojo: Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Arabia
What level do you start wearing Hakama?

At our dojo, yellow belts (3rd kyu) already wears Hakama. Just curious....
Old 07-20-2003, 10:54 PM   #2
YEME
Dojo: South West Aiki
At our dojo its shodan.

but i've seen some where they promote wearing them from day one.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.
--Isaac Asimov

Old 07-20-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
Hanna B
Sweden
Third kyu (white belt until shodan).
Old 07-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #4
Kevin Wilbanks
Check the archives. This discussion has been done many times. In general, the whole idea of associating the hakama with any rank is a relatively new invention, nothing O'Sensei prescribed, and frankly just plain silly. Remember the old parable of the Sneetches by Dr. Seuss?

http://www.thericehouse.net/twiki/bi...ssTheSneetches
Old 07-21-2003, 12:06 AM   #5
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia
okidoki, me now checking for old threads related to this inquiry. thanks!

Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Yoshinkan Dojo
Old 07-21-2003, 12:52 AM   #6
C. Emerson
Dojo: Emerson's Martial Arts
Ask Ted, he'll recommend a place near your residence, where you can go and ask the same question.

-Chad
Old 07-21-2003, 08:33 AM   #7
Dave Miller

Dojo: UCO Budo Society
I think that some styles, particularly the Tomiki-ryu styles, don't wear hakama at all.

DAVE

If you're working too hard, you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:47 AM   #8
Carl Simard
3rd kyu for us. But there's no obligation to wear one.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:11 PM   #9
Fausto
Dojo: Bu Iku Kai Mexico
Well from what i know it depends on the dojo for example in some dojos you can wear a hakama since the first class in others form 3°Kyu (always and in others just in your own dojo not at seminars), 2°kyu (always also at seminars) and some other untill shodan.

It really depends on the style you are doing.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:58 PM   #10
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia
Thank you all for you kind response(s).

Shuryukan Yoshinkai Aikido
Saudi Yoshinkan Dojo
Old 07-21-2003, 11:11 PM   #11
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I haven't seen anyone post anything similar to ours so I'll put it out there.

To start wearing a hakama in our dojo you must be at least a nikyu and be teaching in some way, either as an assitant in a class or teaching a class of your own.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-21-2003, 11:36 PM   #12
villrg0a

Saudi Arabia
Quote:
Bronson Diffin (Bronson) wrote:
I haven't seen anyone post anything similar to ours so I'll put it out there.

To start wearing a hakama in our dojo you must be at least a nikyu and be teaching in some way, either as an assitant in a class or teaching a class of your own.

Bronson
Bronson

Same thing in our dojo, 3rd Kyu can wear hakama and be by the sensei's side during bowing, etc - thus the start of teaching OJT
Old 07-22-2003, 06:08 AM   #13
Kensai
For us, the ladies wear them from day one, the lads start wearing them at 1st Dan.

"Minimum Effort, Maximum Effciency."
Old 07-22-2003, 06:51 AM   #14
Dennis Hooker
Dojo: Shindai Dojo, Orlando Fl.
When?

Well if you are in a dojo where they don't wear gi pants then you better start at day one. Other wise start as early as you can because the damn things are hard to learn to move in with out breaking a toe or pulling a hamstring.

Personally I hate gi pants especially when I am doing iaijutsu. Also in Aikido when doing shikko. I find biking shorts to be the best so far. Nothing under it would be great, but I would get taken away.

Dennis Hooker: (DVD) Zanshin and Ma-ai in Aikido
https://www.createspace.com/238049

www.shindai.com
Old 07-22-2003, 03:47 PM   #15
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
I don't know what the standard in my dojo is... but I guess here you can start wearing one after your sixth kyu test, but it can also wait--I've seen people who are much more experienced than me not wearing them. It's a symbol of one's dedication to the art. I got mine just before my sixth kyu test.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith
Old 07-29-2003, 07:13 AM   #16
the slayer
Dojo: kaa headquarters
Hi, in our dojo the ladys can where them after they pass there 6th kyu.the men have to wait till their dan grade as i think in past years the gi used to be underwear so thats why the ladys can where them so they can cover there (underwear).and in our dojo it is white belt all the way up to 1st kyu then black belt at dan.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:14 AM   #17
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Don't wear them - ever.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 07-29-2003, 07:54 AM   #18
Kevin Wilbanks
I think a very important and oft-overlooked reason that everyone should wear hakama is so that we don't have to look at other people's butt-sweat.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:24 AM   #19
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia
Quote:
Don't wear them - ever.
Hi Peter,... why?

I use it since nikyu and have found good things of wearing it.

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 07-29-2003, 09:04 AM   #20
formerjarhead
Dojo: Okinawa Yoshinkan
Women from 2Kyu, brown belt and men from Shodan. As for under garments, we always wear a gi.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:15 AM   #21
PeterR

Japan
Quote:
César Martínez (Goye) wrote:
Hi Peter,... why?

I use it since nikyu and have found good things of wearing it.
I answered the question in the poll about injuries and hakama. I am sure the are other reasons people in Shodokan dojos normally don't. From what I understand Yoshinkan people also normally don't even though they don't do the same sort of randori. Of course the real reason may be that members of the two above groups don't have sweaty-butts (as per Kevin's post).

Personally speaking when I do wear one (linked to my time training in Aikikia dojos) I found them restrictive and cumbersom. I thought I looked pretty good in the thing but fashion is not a reason. Well the Shodokan fashion is not to wear them so I guess it is a reason.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:39 AM   #22
Kevin Wilbanks
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Personally speaking when I do wear one (linked to my time training in Aikikia dojos) I found them restrictive and cumbersom. I thought I looked pretty good in the thing but fashion is not a reason. Well the Shodokan fashion is not to wear them so I guess it is a reason.
I think many consider wearing the hakama an important part of repsecting and continuing the tradition - like bowing procedures. I think you could say the same about the gi itself. I think traditional aesthetics are an important part of the art. Reducing this to "fashion" seems a bit crude.

If you're going to start tossing out everything you find inconvenient or impractical, the next thing you know Aikido will be like MMA, where it's basically just a bunch of guys in threadbare t-shirts and sweatpants training in a place that looks like an old garage.

However, if we were going that way, from a comfort/practicality standpoint, I'd say the best-feeling attire I've worn is a soft, thin gi with the side-ties on the top tied and no belt - vastly more comfortable and relaxed-feeling than being strapped into a hakama and obi.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:10 AM   #23
PeterR

Japan
Quote:
Kevin Wilbanks wrote:
I think many consider wearing the hakama an important part of repsecting and continuing the tradition - like bowing procedures. I think you could say the same about the gi itself. I think traditional aesthetics are an important part of the art. Reducing this to "fashion" seems a bit crude.

If you're going to start tossing out everything you find inconvenient or impractical, the next thing you know Aikido will be like MMA, where it's basically just a bunch of guys in threadbare t-shirts and sweatpants training in a place that looks like an old garage.
Um Kevin - the founders of the two groups I mentioned were early uchideshi of the founder. I didn't toss anything and I suspect both Kenji Tomiki and Gozo Shioda are far more qualified to comment on history and tradition of Aikido than you or I. The choice of daily practice wear goes back to them. I've never seen a member of a Japanese Aikido dojo blink over the fact that I didn't wear a hakama. Judo guys don't, karate guys don't, several Koryu that I've seen don't - other groups do. It really is a matter of choice and fashion.

The hakama may be an important part of the Aikido you practice however in Shodokan it is theorectically to be used only in the most formal of occasions. I would say that even in Aikikai groups the majority of current practioners don't wear the hakama. It can't be all that important.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:57 PM   #24
Kevin Wilbanks
The attempted argument citing that some branches or groups do not wear the hakama is specious. Some religions incorporate formal prayer rituals and some do not. It doesn't follow that prayer rituals are therefore not an important part of adherence to religious tradition to those who adhere to them, or that the practice is a matter of fashion.

To me, "fashion" connotes an entirely different sort of dynamic: transient, superficial, maybe even somewhat whimsical, and something that is done to garner attention or approval from peers/onlookers. 'Choice' certainly isn't applicable - at least not on an individual level. In most dojo I've run across, wearing a hakama or not is a matter of following the rules and doing things the way your teacher does them. The only element in which there is much of a choice or fashion decision is in whether to get a blue or black one, and whether to get a light or heavy fabric.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:26 PM   #25
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
I've never seen a member of a Japanese Aikido dojo blink over the fact that I didn't wear a hakama. Judo guys don't, karate guys don't, several Koryu that I've seen don't - other groups do. It really is a matter of choice and fashion.
Wearing a hakama really does help secure my saya and making drawing and putting away my sword more controlled and therefore increases safety. So in that case, I consider it a necessary part of my practice outfit for iaido.

It also covers up whatever shorts or colorfully unfashionable gym pants I am wearing underneath. And that like Dennis says can be considered a benefit for my partners.

Craig