Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Teaching

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-23-2001, 02:31 PM   #1
momentrylapse
Dojo: Lancashire Aikikai
A form of self development

As a BAB assistant coach, and relatively new shodan, I have been taking classes at our club quite regularly. Our chief instructor recently held a discussion with all club dan grades and explained that , although as instructors our responsibilitys were to teach and guide our students, an equaly important responsibility was to use the teaching to develop ourselves and our own Aikido.

Some Felt that they were doing this already, others couldn`t understand how this could work better than training at a higher level with other dan grades.

I feel that both methods of training have their advantages. There is a lot you can learn from working out how to make students understand what you are doing. You analyse your own technique more, concious that it must be correct and will be mirrored in the students.
But there are other things that are better worked on with higher graded aikidoka.Not all techniques are suitable for lower grades to be practicing, There can be more intense practice with those who are more able to take ukemi. Also we are encouraged to "play", to experiment. One has to be careful how this is done when instructing a class, when you experiment you are unsure of the outcome, if when experimenting techniques fail or feel poor, students may lose faith in their instructors competance.

I've gone on for long enough
What does everybody else think?
Old 11-13-2001, 03:31 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I'm quite new to teaching myself (1 year). I have learnt an enormous amount about aikido since I started teaching 'cos I realised that what I am thinking about in techniques is different to what beginners are thinking about and therefore I had to analyse what I was actually doing in practise.

I try not to split beginners from more advanced students (as I think advanced students have a lot to learn from beginners in terms of 'natural' reaction to certain techniques e.g. a common one is twisting out of shiho-nage, sankyo and ikkyo pins) - dealing with this sharpens their technique.

However, I am beginning to wonder whether to split people up on occasion as beginners can't do ukemis.

Ian