Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-16-2003, 10:23 AM   #1
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
the Komyozan in Boise

Hello, just wondering if anyone here trains or has ever trained at the Komyozan Dojo in Boise, Idaho under Kimbal Anderson. Or for that matter is anyone here affiliated with the Kannagara Jinja at all? I have a friend who is moving to Boise who wants to start taking Aikido, and I was just looking around to see if I could help him find a Dojo. I saw that there were two in Boise, however the other one is prohibitively expensive, he's a starving college student Anyway, any information at all would be very helpful. Thanks in advance...

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 05-16-2003, 07:54 PM   #2
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Do some web research on "Koichi Barrish", "Larry Barrish", and "Ideta Ryu".

Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 05-16-2003, 09:39 PM   #3
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
Greg, I had seen the webpage for the Kannagara Jinja, and was intrigued. However I was looking for info on the Dojo in Boise, and whether they had frequent visits from the Kannagara Jinja folks or not. Do you know if Koichi Barrish visits Dojo that are affiliated with the Kannagara Jinja? Or really, have you or anyone on these boards ever been to that particular Dojo in Boise?

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 03-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: the Komyozan in Boise

Quote:
Jeff Tibbetts wrote:
Greg, I had seen the webpage for the Kannagara Jinja, and was intrigued. However I was looking for info on the Dojo in Boise, and whether they had frequent visits from the Kannagara Jinja folks or not. Do you know if Koichi Barrish visits Dojo that are affiliated with the Kannagara Jinja? Or really, have you or anyone on these boards ever been to that particular Dojo in Boise?
Hello, I have never been to Anderson-sensei's dojo, but I have trained with several of his students as well as with himself and have nothing but nice things to say about them. I study with Barrish Sensei and often the Komyozan aikidoka will visit Kannagara Jinja. I'm not sure of the last time Barrish visited Boise though.
...so long story short, I don't know much except that Kimbal-san is a very good teacher, per my experiences with him. Give them a try if you get the chance!
Take care,
Matthew

Gambarimashyo!
Old 03-01-2005, 01:22 AM   #5
Michael Cardwell
Dojo: Snake River Aikido
United_States

Jeff, I have never trained with Anderson sensei before, but I have trained with Anastasio sensei several times, he runs the Three Shapes Aikido dojo in Boise. I have never been to one of his regular classes, only to a seminar that he hosted, so I do not know how his prices are, but he is a very good sensei and easy to get along with. Oh, and tell your friend if he ever makes it down river to Idaho Falls to look up the dojo that I train at, it's Snake River Aikido, he can find us on the web.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:46 AM   #6
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China

I trained there for a few days while I was in Boise on business. Sadly I had to leave suddenly, and didn't get as much as I wanted.

I thought the dojo, Kimbal and the senior students were all excellent, and I'd recommend training there. They were very welcoming, and next time I'm in Boise I'll certainly go back there.

My impression from a few practices: Kimbal also studies different sword arts, and it shows in the aikido (there are also several sword classes a week, which I didn't get to). The practice is quite soft, with an emphasis on the feel or principle of a technique, rather than which-foot-goes-where. A lot of the students studied somewhere else for some time before joining this dojo (which is a good sign, but may just be people moving to Bosie), and my impression was that the classes were tuned more to these people - I'm not sure how easy it would be for a raw recruit (OTOH, they may have beginner classes, or I may have got that impression since that was my situation). As for politics and affiliations, I have no idea (and care even less) - I didn't even ask.

In short, your friend should give them a try. Actually, he should give every dojo in a reasonable radius a try, and pick the one he likes.
For me, it was one of the best 'small' dojo's I've visited, in pretty much every way (and, incidently, very beautiful).

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)