Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
John Matsushima

United_States
What is good ukemi?

Hello all,
How would you best describe (technically or philosophically) "good ukemi"? I have begun to look at ukemi not just as a way of rolling, or receiving a technique without harm, but as a way of receiving, period. As nage, I learn to receive an attack without fear. When I get hit, I learn to receive without panic, or anger. When I fail in my technique I learn to receive the uke's resistance without stubbornness or a desire to fight. So, to me good ukemi is receiving with appreciation. What does it mean to you?
Old 12-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
mj
Re: What is good ukemi?

To me it means getting up again.

Old 12-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Assorted definitions of good ukemi, some directly from conversations with senior instructors of the UKA, some just me waxing on and off lyrical:

What enables your partner to practice and improve, and you to continue to practice.
Recovery.
Not just the rolley, slappy bit.
A sincere attack followed by good contact.
Not giving up.
The important half.
Violence surfing.
An action of trust.
What can make aikidoka arrogant and makes them humble.
Aikido.

Favorite at the mo:
Ukemi is the method by which we practice aikido (generally),as opposed to say kata or competitive sparing, and the genius of aikido.

Mark.

ps. I like the term "appreciating" John.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:41 PM   #4
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

If you haven't read this, you should

http://www.aikiweb.com/columns/gledyard/2004_10.html

Mike
Old 12-01-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Jordan Steele

To me there are three different kinds of good ukemi. Good ukemi for nage. Good ukemi for uke and realistic ukemi. For nage, ideally you are light, springy, and your body can handle a substantial amount of abuse. For uke, you don't fall to soon, you can keep up with nage, and it doesn't hurt. Realistic ukemi and the kind that should be practiced above all others is feeling for weaknesses in nages technique and exploiting them. To me good ukemi is falling in a controlled fashion with the understanding that your opponent has thrown you and you haven't just fallen for him.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #6
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
John Matsushima wrote:
What is good ukemi?
Elusive

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX

Hi Mark
I like your list.
(especially * Violence surfing.*)

Quite nice.
Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:25 PM   #8
akiy

I'd say good ukemi is the same as good "nagemi." The more I look into it, there's no difference between the two roles...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 12-11-2004, 05:52 PM   #9
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

I agree with Jun.

I used to just want to avoid being open while taking ukemi. Then, I developed more flexibility and awareness and found it difficult to not to have those "fly away" too early tendancies. Now, I still work towards being more flexible and strong in the attack, and still not open (or I suppose less open). If I'm working with an atemi happy uke I usually will treat that like they are the uke and do a (reverse) technique. Something not usually mentioned but important about ukemi is getting up instantly and attacking again - lots of people kind of have a tea party on the mat between each throw.

The best uke I ever saw was in Takeda sensei's dojo. Takeda sensei was standing maybe 3 feet from a wall, and the uke (a 6th dan nicknamed "Mr. Aikido") came to attack like a freight train. Takeda sensei basically threw him up and back over his shoulder at the wall. I have no idea how he does anything so I can't describe the technique very well. The uke magically absorbed that energy into his body somehow and not only avoided splatting into the wall, but also landed, turned around, and instantly attacked again. All I could do was gasp. Takeda sensei laughed and started trying to throw him into walls - and couldn't. Then he started calling up other people and throwing them at the walls. Several of his ukes could avoid the wall too (though they didn't run in as fast as the first guy). I also got a turn. I bounced off of every wall in that dojo. (They weren't hard impacts, but I couldn't avoid them.) That was several years ago now, and although I made a lot of improvement, I still think I would be splatted into the wall given the same situation today.

Rob
Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 AM   #10
Pavel.Dobrus
Dojo: Prague
Czech_Republic

Just small hint about ukemi. It's good to look at tori (nage) during all uke's part of technique, including ukemi. Beside other things it helps to find good body settings during the fall (roll).
And one more thing, perfect ukemi is useless without good work of uke before ukemi. We need to be in right place in right time to be able to perform good ukemi.
And it is not only exit point of technique, but also (can be) entry point of another technique, another attack, or defense. I often seen an uke, who can be good in preparation phase before ukemi, and starts ukemi properly, but then his attention is getting low and at the end of ukemi he is not able to be ready to get his balance in time.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:12 AM   #11
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States

Second what Jun said.

I also want to add that, to me, ukemi is the complete art of being a good training partner in the uke role.

I emphasize this to my students that they are not nage's throwing dummy.

YMMV,

Greg Jennings
Old 12-25-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
Kevin Kelly
Dojo: Aikido of Reno
United_States

I'm doing my best to learn ukemi as I am still fairly new to this. I know that it's not all about rolling, but I did do that incorrectly and separated my shoulder. My Sensei told me I'm not allowed to do rolls for awhile. I need to get with someone and practice low and slow.
Old 12-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #13
Janet Rosen

Hi, Kevin. I don't know of any specific research, but certainly anecdotally, shoulder separations are a not uncommon newbie injury during the learning of forward rolls. Your instructor is right to make sure you don't resume working on rolls until this soft tissue injury heals completely. It DOES get better, and it DOES get easier, so hang in there!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 12-26-2004, 04:04 AM   #14
Chicko Xerri
Dojo: Aikido Kenkyukai International Fudoshin dojo Australia.
Australia

Good Ukemi is higher level Ukemi which is not simply rolling back or forward. It is becomming sensitive to changes within movement, All movement. The Universal is in the relms of Ukemi. Ukemi is next to Aiki. When Uke is at a very high level of developement, his techniques when applied become painless and invisable to his attacker. The effect through his technique on an attacker is capable of controlling, openning or locking the (Mind Body Center) This should be ones guide for technique developement.

I hope I am of some good to you.

Last edited by Chicko Xerri : 12-26-2004 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:58 PM   #15
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

Hi all,

Last week at practice, I just had a one to one talk to a newbie in class. He absolutely loves the high flying flipping ukemi he sees on videos but is afraid to do them. When he practices, he will always ask the tori/nage to go slow and a very erractic technique ensure due to his absolutely frightened state of falling. This half hearted and frightened falls results in a very dangerous and unflowish type of aikido.

However, I told him, forget about the nice looking ukemi you see on the videos... those are mainly for shows. The principle function of ukemi is to protect yourself so that you will be able to get up again. So I went with him a series of basic ukemi, nothing fancy, just old fashion fall. I think his confidence came through. I saw him able to take kotegashi falls later (not the flip over type but those that does not end up with him suffering with wrist pain).

In summary, my 2 cents on what is agood ukemi is any ukemi that makes you able to get up again after being thrown.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:12 PM   #16
spinecracker

United_States

being able to get up from a throw without having to pick your teeth up would be my idea of a good ukemi......

I used to practice ukemi while holding a bokken or jo. It made me be very aware of my body position, the positions and movements of those around me, and made me come up in a relaxed, ready-to-fight position and, more importantly, ready-to-fight frame of mind. Of course, beginning to train like that with ukemi did have some unfortunate side-effects (remembering the words of the sensei 'did you mean to try and disembowell yourself, or was it an accident?' as I lay crumpled on the floor with the bokken sticking out from under me - ah, those were the days! )
Old 12-26-2004, 09:25 PM   #17
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Hey Kevin-
Two years ago last week I started training. Two years ago this Wednesday I did my second forward roll and subluxated my shoulder.I trained one-handed for a month,took another month to learn to roll Properly,and I am two tests down the road now and learning how to do the big breakfalls.You'll be fine

Last edited by Qatana : 12-26-2004 at 09:29 PM.

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 12-26-2004, 10:36 PM   #18
kaishaku

Some of my sempai can take ukemi in a manner that makes me perform the technique properly. This is amazing to me.

But I also like when they attack with an 'empty mind', and just go where the energy takes them.

Then again, sometimes I also like when they attack with the intent of foiling my technique.

Sometimes at work I'll be having a conversation with a customer, and one of my coworkers will, picking up on something pertinant, go and grab a product or do something for them while we're still talking, before I even start to move. It's very aiki. This is my favorite associate to work with.

Oh, so anyhow, it seems to me that good ukemi is very much like good waza, and the two go together like a tag team.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:31 AM   #19
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I started out trying to take falls as soon and as soft as I could, out of fear. Didn't lead to very nice ukemi. Then I got a bit more confident, not to say arrogant, and began resisting throws. It was fun! But one day I was practicing tanto-disarm shihonage with a favorite senior student. I managed to regain my balance and stand pat through his shihonage, and felt very smug for about two seconds until he popped the tanto out of my hand and poked me all over with it. Of course I was flatfooted, stiff, and completely unable to defend myself. We had a good laugh about it, but I thought, hm....

So I'd like to be like the senior students: light on my feet, quick to move when necessary, not giving throws for free but never stiff or stuck in place either. They can turn into a mountain and somehow still move when they need to. Or, as a sensei from another school told me, "Go down 100% to come up as quick as you can: don't do things halfway."

There's a more serious answer, though, which involves a story about that same senior student. Twice I've been in the position mid-throw of realizing he's about to throw me into an ukemi I'm not altogether sure I can do. But we have a level of trust between us such that both times I've been able to relax and go into the fall, knowing in my heart that he wasn't going to hurt me. That's at the heart of ukemi for me--the rapport between partners that allows you to really stretch your abilities, confident that the other person is there with you.

I think the first of those experiences was the moment I knew I was going to stick with aikido.

Mary Kaye

Last edited by MaryKaye : 12-27-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:00 AM   #20
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

When you can get up again.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 12-27-2004, 09:31 PM   #21
Alvin H. Nagasawa
Dojo: YBA/HBAC Honolulu, HI
United_States

Re: What is good Ukemi?
When I started in 1970. I observed my sempai demonstrating their extreme Ukemi falls.
My impression as beginner was to be like them. Oh, I had my injury's and knocks on the head. At 24, coming from a Karate background. It was hard to adjust taking Ukemi, The concept of taking a break fall and flips into the air like a feather amazed me.
But I had to find out myself in the long run, Protect yourself, learn Ukemi first before you can be a nage. Get that exposure of Ukemi from the top instructor you encounter in your Aikido practice.
Been thrown and taking the ukemi for a top instructor is your accomplishment and even been throw by Doshu, Waka Sensei, S. Masuda, Seki Sensei, Tanoue Sensei, Akita Tohei, Maruyama, Osawa and many other ranking instructors that taught in Hawaii on there travels all over the world.
As a Uke you have to read your nage, Be as one, what may be a 3 minute demo. over in seconds.
As you develop, your focus is now been to be a Nage. You have accomplished one side of the spectrum. Now you have to polish the other side. Yin & Yang is a example.

Lone Wolf of San Jose