Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Zoe S Toth
Dojo: Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina
United_States
Large Weapons Purchase HELP!

Hello!

Currently I'm managing an university Aikido club (our faculty sponsor runs a full off campus dojo) and we finally have funds to purchase weapons. I'm a bit at a loss as where to buy them from however. Right now we are looking to purchase: 5 bokken, 5 jo, 5 tanto and 2 shinai.

I've personally bought red oak economy & sanded it down and refinished with teak oil. I really like it. However, our advisor suggested purchasing white oak saying it would last longer.

Any suggestions where we could buy these weapons? I am not looking to get something amazing (like Kingfisher bokken) but rather something basic that beginning students can borrow.

Thanks,
Zoë
Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
danj
Dojo: Brisbane Aikido Republic
Australia
Re: Large Weapons Purchase HELP!

FWIW and having run just such a dojo for many years, I'd recommend entry level weapons that are safe, anything more expensive has a tendency to walk

dan

Old 02-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
Tyson Walters

New Zealand

I'm not sure of the logistics involved with the shipping... but I'd highly recommend Sei Do Kai Supplies run my Kim Taylor.

I've purchased a few items and always been very impressed with the quality and craftsmanship.

Go check out the hickory wooden weapons page... that might be a good place to start for a general order.

http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/
Old 02-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

I was about to suggest Kim Taylor also. His hickory weapons are VERY durable and reasonably priced.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Dan Hover
Dojo: Bond Street Dojo/Aikido of Greater Milwaukee
United_States

Check with Kiyota Company in Baltimore, no website, phone and catalog orders only. Quality stuff huge selection but you kind of have to know what you want, as he has Bokken for just about every ryu you can think of.

Dan Hover

of course that's my opinion, I could be wrong
Old 02-15-2012, 07:52 AM   #6
Richard Stevens
United_States

e-bogu has a dedicated wholesale website. You may be able to find a good deal there.

http://www.discountdojo.com/

You might also email Rodney Uhler Sensei at ninecirclesusa.com and see if he can help you out. Their equipment is very nice and very affordable. Our group gets most of our stuff from them.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

The white oak bokken from Kiyota are very good - we have a number in our dojo that have served well for years. One of my students got a bokken from Nine Circles that did not hold up well - the wood was a bit too soft for paired practice (their gis are excellent, however).
Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

I have used Kiyota out of Baltimore before and they are excellent to use if you know what you want. Brad from Kingfisher is a friend and I have used him for a bulk order for my school. His standard Hickory stuff is not too pricey and it lasts longer than a lot of other stuff, so it will pay for itself in the long-run. I am currently taking taking requests from the dojo in NYC and my school for another bulk order this spring. If you are interested in piggybacking with me on my order, kindly e-mail me at sensei@aasbk.com .

Cordially,

Marc Abrams
Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #9
Zoe S Toth
Dojo: Seidokan Aikido of South Carolina
United_States

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far!

Right now we are thinking either Nine Circles or our old stanard Kiyota Co. I've contacted Nine Circles to ask about a discount as suggested.

Any other places people have used would still be helpful. I don't have to have a budget up for a few more days.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

You have 3 good alternatives - Kiyota, Kim Taylor, and an attractive offer from Marc.

I have used Kiyota, but due to importing most of his weapons from Japan, the prices keep rising. I found Kim Taylor (actually Brenda - his wife) to be more reasonable, especially on Ittoo Ryu Bokkens (Whicte Oak - 'thicker ones).The Hickory Jo from Kim are very reasonable.

I have no experience with Kingfisher but their rep is great.

I would not bother ordering a hardwood tanto - a cheaper wood one should work fine. Kiyota probably has them in red oak for $5.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
ken king
United_States

Quote:
Tyson Walters wrote: View Post
I'm not sure of the logistics involved with the shipping... but I'd highly recommend Sei Do Kai Supplies run my Kim Taylor.

I've purchased a few items and always been very impressed with the quality and craftsmanship.

Go check out the hickory wooden weapons page... that might be a good place to start for a general order.

http://sdksupplies.netfirms.com/
I have the aikido set from sdk in white oak. I've had it for years and it's still going strong.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Scott Harrington
United_States

Check out www.budovideos.com for a wide selection of uniforms, weapons, books, and dvd's.

Scott Harrington
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #13
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

If you want to get something from Japan then I can recommend tozando.com. It's good quality at a reasonable price and usually great service.

They might have a discount for bulk purchase of bokken - at least they used to have.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration