Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
aikishrine
Dojo: aikido of central new york
United_States
testing importance?

Do you think testing is essential in discerning ones progress?
Or do you believe that rank isnt important?
And do you think that one is able to teach without rank?
just some questions i have been pondering.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: testing importance?

IMHO, if your dojo/organization/Sensei thinks testing/rank is important, than do it. If you thinks its important, test. If you don't, talk to your Sensei.

IMHO, just train.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 08-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Jess McDonald
United_States

I have similar views on testing. If your Sensei thinks its time then test otherwise chill and wait it out. At my school it's so small that testing is sometimes forgotten. I'm sure I could pass the first ocuple of kyu tests but technically I'm still 6th kyu. Anyhoo, have fun and don't worry about rank but on your technique and your ukemi.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Larry Cuvin

Dojo: Oregon Ki Society
United_States

Some folks say that one can truly begin learning aikido once the rank of shodan is achieved. One can only get there by testing. I for one have several years to get there.

Plus Ki
Old 08-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
justin
United Kingdom

if it is important to you then aim for it know your local time schedule for gradings work on the syllabus in your private time, everyone draws from there aikido the bits they want if grade is yours then go for it.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #6
Sonja2012

Dojo: Aikido Verein Esslingen
Germany

Is testing important? Yes and No, IMHO.

No: Practice should be about practicing and not about testing. Train hard and the testing will come. What I mean is - wanting to test should never be the reason for practicing.

And yes: I believe that testing (and overcoming the stress and possibly oneīs fear of it) is also part of the growing involved in aikido and therefore it *is* important. In the same way that overcoming any other issue (trust issues, problems with physical touch and closeness, etc.) one might have is important.

I think that often people say that testing is not important because they donīt want to encourage envy, exagerated competition, etc amongst the students, which is a good idea. But these feelings are only human and the whole testing issue might also offer the person involved to work on these things and - again - grow in that respect.

I feel that every time I step on the mat I meet my weaknesses. At least one of them always manages to show up somehow and aikido offers me the chance to realize, look at and work on them. Fear (uhmm, panic is probably the better word in my case ) of testing is/was one of them and going through all the kyu tests has helped me to decrease it. So, personally, I am greateful for the fact that there is testing in aikido.

Just my two cents...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I have come to learn that testing has many vices. Sure, test up to shodan, learn the syllabus, then you can begin, so the story goes. Problem is, it takes some people years to get to shodan, by which time their entire experience has been to plod through the grading syllabus. Naturally, once they begin to teach they will repeat the process.

Personally, I hate the grading process but conceed that gradings do have a place. The most important thing is to have a syllabus - something to learn. I have come across schools who pay little, and sometimes, no attention to grading and often, they have no direction. Whether you have gradings or not, there has to be a syllabus - stuff to learn, with direction and planned/achieved progress.

Gradings do not make you much better. Rather, they focus people for a short time, then once passed, they are full of pride, and think they are suddenly ten times better than they were yesterday. I played table tennis 2-3 hours everyday for ten years as a kid and we didn't have gradings - the only thing on my mind was to improve my technique and beat my opponent. I sought out people I couldn't beat and played them until I could beat them. I got better. Imagine how stupid it would be if someone had been assessing my strokes and judging me on my style with little or no competition. Ditto for soccer. And, I hope, I try, ditto for Aikido.

Gradings can be good - I did a lot when I was younger so have no leg to stand on to say abandon gradings - but I can see the result they produce and it is not always good. Consider, how many black belts have you seen quit thinking there is no more to learn? Clearly, they have been led up the wrong track.

I haven't graded in years and can't be bothered with it all. In Korea, some of my students graded higher than me I and I paid no atention to it whatsoever. It was kinda funny at first, but, I think, it gave them a certain kind of lesson. Wonder if they remember though ... Anyway, after 25+ years I find new things hidden in techniques all the time; I save them, collect them, and drill them everyday. It is a fascinating journey.

At the end of the day: Learn the syllabus, pass some gradings, then start learning. But don't wait until you get to shodan to start learning!!!

Last edited by Rupert Atkinson : 08-07-2007 at 06:38 AM.