Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
senseimike

Dojo: Rising Star Aikido
United_States
Your opinion wanted for an Aikido paper

I'm writing a paper on Aikido and wanted to collect several differing opinions on this topic.

What is the key to good Aikido and why do you feel this way? (i.e. technical knowledge, ki development, strength, flashy technique, etc)

Please include your rank, dojo affiliation and/or national affiliation.

feel free to pm me here or email me at senseimike@risingstaraikido.com

Thank you for your help

Mike

Mike Taylor
Godan
Chief Instructor, Rising Star Aikido
South Bend, Nebraska, USA
www.risingstaraikido.com
Old 04-25-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Your opinion wanted for an Aikido paper

Quote:
Mike Taylor wrote:
What is the key to good Aikido and why do you feel this way? (i.e. technical knowledge, ki development, strength, flashy technique, etc)
IMHO, attitude is key. With the right attitude you are open to learning technical knowledge, ki development, and flashy technique. Though I must admit, IMHO, the right attitude doesn't value flashy technique. Without the right attitude, nothing is obtainable.

Lynn Seiser, Ph.D.
Sandan Tenshinkai Aikido
Westminster Aikikai

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Mr Greyhame
Dojo: Arkansas Aikikai
United_States

These opinions of mine may be misguided, but I will through them to the open.

Insofar as I am concerned a key to Aikido is fluidity. Movement not for movements sake but for the "blending" (ai), that is part of our philosophy. This stems from a personal preference of being suave, smooth, as opposed to strong.

I view placing too much emphasis on strength as a weakness. Not because I feel being strong is a bad idea, but for another reason. If a person focuses on strength, then it is highly likely that some essance of technique will be overlooked and lost. And I doubt that anyone around is the biggest, stronggest person they know, and duely would hit a rather hard wall if strength were stopped by more. Now a focus on strength not to the detriment of technique would not be a bad idea. Just don't dwell on it.

I like the idea of fluid motion, because it can triumph over larger, stronger problems. Once the balance is disturbed, then it takes very little strength to finish dealing.

By my stand here, a focus on technique is in fact where I am going. Being one of the smaller, less physically apt people, I have to rely upon the older adage that "technique beats strength."
This ideology alows for an easy expantion from the realms of the mats and bouts to most of life. A short digression. In the situation of a fight, if one opponent simply moves and flows in such a way as to avoid the agression, then the agressor will eventually tire, and lose. (I believe that smacks of story about O'Sensei) Well the same theme applies to the other problems in life. By flowing around them then they become less energetic, or hostile as you begin to better understand them, and then they become much the easier with which to deal. In short by avoiding the direct agression, and flowing in from elsewhere, the problem can be simplified.

There is very little that I feel would not contribute to Aikido, in proper usage. I mean, even my little tirade against strength was only effective when the focus is drawn out of proportion. (I think it has to do with deep seeded problems in me, as to why I dislike strongmen, maybe its because I am not.)

My views here on Aikido are with it simply as a art, as a budo, and with being "good at it" as the skill of effectiveness of knowledge. Inevitably, if the factor of exchanging and developing Aikido is the center for views, then absolutely
Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote:
Without the right attitude, nothing is obtainable.
However, my viewa are that of a budo, a martial way. And, thus, I feel that the ability to adapt, and change to the events of a conflict; to avoid the brunt of agression; to flow, unbalence problems, and avoid conflict; and the named "ai" principle of blending, are all the sub elements of the fluidity I desire in my Aikido.

The thoughts of a lowly aikidoka,
Matt
Nikyu
Gyokushikan dojo
Aikido World Alliance
Old 04-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #4
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

"Without the right attitude, nothing is obtainable."

or if ya wanna get zen about it...with the right attitude, nothing is obtainable.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #5
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

"aikido is a chance to find your way home"
Old 04-27-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
Logan Heinrichs
Dojo: Wagokan

Practice.

One doesn't see things as they are, he sees them as he is.