Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-06-2004, 07:58 AM   #1
Paula Lydon
Dojo: Aikido Shugenkai
shin

~~What does 'shin' in Japanese mean? I was told by someone that it refers to, say, the internal integrety or core of a thing, person, idea, etc. Is that correct? Thanks!

~~Paula~~
Old 03-06-2004, 09:02 AM   #2
Jack Robertson
I heard that it means attitude.

But I'm not 100% sure of that.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:19 AM   #3
DarkShodan
Dojo: Shuurin Dojo - Omaha, Nebarska
United_States
Again, it's my understanding, there are several kanji that are pronounced "Shin". I have a t-shirt that has "shin" on it that means balance or center. I have a tattoo of "Shin" that means God. Different kanji symbols.

Victims, aren't we all.
-- Eric Draven
Old 03-06-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
Josh Bisker
Dojo: Oberlin Aikikai, and Renshinkan London
United_States
it's the part of the leg between your ankle and your knee, on the front. jeez guys, it's not like it's another language or anything
Old 03-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #5
wendyrowe
Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
I was looking it up recently in my Tuttle Language Library Kanji & Kana handbook because our school is named Seishin.

The book lists more than a dozen different kanji pronounced SHIN. The two I've seen used most in my 2-year foray into the martial arts kanji world are the kanji for the Chinese-derived SHIN meaning "heart, mind; core" (Japanese "kokoro") and the Chinese-derived SHIN meaning "God" (Japanese "kami").

With any luck, your thread'll catch the eye of someone who actually speaks Japanese so s/he can tell us something truer than a dictionary could.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #6
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: shin

Quote:
Paula Lydon wrote:
``What does 'shin' in Japanese mean? I was told by someone that it refers to, say, the internal integrety or core of a thing, person, idea, etc. Is that correct? Thanks!
Hello Paula,

There are at least three ways of answering your question.

1. The Japanese-English dictionary that I have here at home (the latest edition of Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary) lists 12 meanings, each with its own main Chinese character. The meanings, in order, are (1) heart/mind/spirit; (2) padding, wick, or lead for a pencil; (3) a subject, retainer, or vassal; (4) faith/sincerity (\this might perhaps be the meaning you were told): (5) deity; (6) Chin (Chinese ruler); (7) truth\ (or this one); (8) Qin (Chinese dynasty); (9) Qing (another Chinese dynasty); (10) bed/sleep; (11) novelty; (12) short for 'shingen' = proverb or aphorism.

2. The Japanese-English Kanji dictionary I have here (the revised Nelson) lists 79 different characters for shin, 12 of which are characters alluded to above. which suggests that the vast majority of the characters are not encountered singly, but always as part of a word. Notice that Wendy Rowe's answer ties the meaning of this character to that of another, about which you could ask the same question.

3. Asking a Japanese native speaker. Actually, I have found this way the least productive, since the native speaker will go through a similar process to the one I have just done above, but mentally and without knowing all the possibilities, and then ask about the context in which the word is used. It would be like asking me the meaning of 'bank', for example (verb?, noun?, side of a river?, building?). I am not entirely sure whether my answer would be "truer" than the dictionary definition.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 03-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #7
Paula Lydon
~~Wow, thanks all, especially Peter G. I think I'm in over my head. I never guessed it meant SO many different things depending upon the context. I will conduct more research

~~Paula~~
Old 04-19-2004, 05:05 AM   #8
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

My youngest son is named Shin 真, the kanji taken from and given by my Sensei in Kobe means True, honest or sincere.

Coincidentally Wendy, our dojo is also Seishin 誠心, in this instance, the kanji for shin 心 is the same as that for heart/ spirit/ mind (Seishin = true heart, honest heart, true spirit, honest spirit, true mind, honest mind).

Pretty much goes along with what Peter has already said.

Regards

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 04-19-2004, 10:07 AM   #9
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

And shoshin means beginners mind.....so....does that mean that sho mean beginner? I have looked in a couple old English/Japanese dictionaries and could not find it....
Old 04-19-2004, 10:56 AM   #10
akiy

Hi Larry,

The "sho" in "shoshin" is the same as used as the first character in "shodan":

The character "sho" in this case basically means "first" or "beginning".

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:36 AM   #11
aikidocapecod
United_States

Shoshin is a concept that helps me in many areas, not just Aikido. If one enters any/every situation with a mind that is looking to learn something new, life will always be one of learning.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:38 AM   #12
Orihime
Dojo: Sei Shin Kai (Compiègne)
Question Re: shin

The kun pronunciation for "shin" is "kokoro", isn't it (I've forgotten the kanji) ?
Old 05-11-2004, 01:05 AM   #13
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Bryan Bateman wrote:
My youngest son is named Shin 真, the kanji taken from and given by my Sensei in Kobe means True, honest or sincere.

Coincidentally Wendy, our dojo is also Seishin 誠心, in this instance, the kanji for shin 心 is the same as that for heart/ spirit/ mind (Seishin = true heart, honest heart, true spirit, honest spirit, true mind, honest mind).

Pretty much goes along with what Peter has already said.

Regards

Bryan
Hello Bryan,

A further coicidence is that both 誠 and 真 can ne read as makoto.

Best regards,

P A Goldsbury
Old 05-11-2004, 02:48 AM   #14
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

Quote:
Peter A Goldsbury wrote:
Hello Bryan,

A further coicidence is that both $B@?(B and $B??(B can ne read as makoto.

Best regards,

Yes, if we'd had a girl instead she was going to have the same kanji and be called Mako !

Rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 05-11-2004, 02:59 AM   #15
otto
Dojo: Independent
Venezuela

Quote:
Fabienne Sénaillat wrote:
The kun pronunciation for "shin" is "kokoro", isn't it (I've forgotten the kanji) ?
This one perhaps?
Attached Images

"Perfection is a Process"
Old 05-11-2004, 05:23 AM   #16
aikidocapecod
United_States

I think that can mean heart or mind depending on context
Old 05-12-2004, 01:39 AM   #17
Mark Jewkes
Dojo: Frederikshavn Budo Klub
Denmark

Hi everybody
At the bottom of this page (Nishio Sensei Homepage) is a calligraphy reading shin bu ka iku. Would someone try to translate this for me? I was told that it roughly translates as: "True Budo educates (people). What is your interpretation?
http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~nisio/

regards
Old 05-12-2004, 01:42 AM   #18
Mark Jewkes
Dojo: Frederikshavn Budo Klub
Denmark

sorry, you need to click the top button in the menue, for an biography of Nishio Sensei, and that page has the shin bu ka iku calligraphy at the bottom.
Old 05-12-2004, 03:08 AM   #19
Orihime
Dojo: Sei Shin Kai (Compiègne)

Quote:
Ottoniel Ojeda wrote:
This one perhaps?
Yes, that's it.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #20
Devon Natario

Dojo: Northwest Jujitsu/Coeur D'Alene, ID
United_States

Im a practioner of Shin Shin Jujitsu which translated means: The are of gentleness through heart and soul. Now I have looked this up many times and seen it translated into heart, sould, God, and Center. Hope that helps.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:57 AM   #21
saltlakeaiki

Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai

Paula,
I'd hate to offer an authoritative answer to you and then be wrong, but I'm pretty confident on this one There is a word "shin" which essentially means the innermost core of something, where it can be literal or figurative, i.e. it can mean either the tough center of a cabbage, or the innermost heart of a person. It can be written with the kanji for "kokoro" (which you see earlier in this thread), or with the same kokoro with "kusaganmuri" on top (i.e. grass radical above). I'm not on a Japanese capable computer right now and anyway I don't know how to incorporate kanji images in these forums yet.

I'd guess that one is more likely to write the character with grass on top if the meaning is purely physical/literal, and just "kokoro" if the meaning is more figurative/spiritual. However in the latter case there is always the danger (from the writer's perspective) that readers will read it as "kokoro" rather than "shin", so I'm not sure how a native speaking writer would choose. Probably it depends

HTH.
Dave

(gee, I just noticed this is a really old thread. I wonder if Paula's even still reading )

Last edited by saltlakeaiki : 08-16-2004 at 11:11 AM.

If it wasn't for the goat, you couldn't get in here for propaganda!
Old 08-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #22
Paula Lydon

~~Yes, Dave, still following along. Well, doing my best to anyway Thanks!

~~Paula~~
Old 08-25-2004, 02:48 PM   #23
Tatiana
Dojo: Lenwakan
Brazil
Confused Re: shin

Quote:
Josh Bisker wrote:
it's the part of the leg between your ankle and your knee, on the front. jeez guys, it's not like it's another language or anything
You know... When I saw the title, I thought that too... I mean, but who would be posting about shins in an Aikido forum.. So I came in out of curiosity... LOL! Guess I'm learning some new stuff here!!