Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-16-2002, 08:26 PM   #1
Nobleronin4
starting a dojo?

I've never really taken AIKIDO before. My only exposure to the art was a one time class many years ago. There are no dojos in my area. Within a 20-25 mile radius of my city (Macon, GA) there are 250,000 - 275,000 people. If any one has any information on how to get a dojo started in an area please let know.
Old 12-16-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
This poses a lot of problem for people who wants to learn Aikido, location.

We have the same problem here in Indonesia. Most Aikido dojos are located in major cities. Also that Aikido is not in all major cities. It is quite limited down here. The most dojo that one can find is here in Jakarta area.

I'll just write down a sample case here:
Quote:
A fellow student of the dojo I trained in lived quite far away. But he sacrificed his time and make every effort to come to the dojo and train. After he ranked his 3rd kyu, he asked our sensei if he could open a dojo in his area. He got my sensei's permission.

He teaches the class, with our sensei controlling the class every once or twice a month. My sensei in turn also make the time and effort to visit his student's dojo. The student that open the dojo also still comes to our dojo once in a while.
I know three similar cases like the above.

Opening a dojo:
  1. Find somebody experienced in Aikido. A yudansha is a must. A high kyu ranking student is still needed to be backed up by a yudansha and an experienced dojo.
  2. Find a place to train. Indoors are better, but it doesn't close the possibilities of outdoor trainings.
  3. Mattresses or tatamis are actually needed to avoid any injury.
  4. Be affiliated to more experienced dojos.
The lack of yudanshas here in Indonesia forced us to be more proactive. Seniors becoming assistant instructors, almost like an uchi-deshi, which teach classes in the sensei's absence.

Last edited by Thalib : 12-16-2002 at 09:12 PM.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 12-16-2002, 11:06 PM   #3
Bud
Dojo: Aikido Philippines
Philippines
That's the same problem we have here. Most of the dojos are in Manila or some of the other major cities. Even around Manila there are few aikido dojos in comparison to its size. The only way aikido dojos open outside of the cities is when a yudansha settles in an area and opens a school to keep training.
Quote:
Iriawan Kamal Thalib (Thalib) wrote:
This poses a lot of problem for people who wants to learn Aikido, location.

We have the same problem here in Indonesia. Most Aikido dojos are located in major cities. Also that Aikido is not in all major cities. It is quite limited down here. The most dojo that one can find is here in Jakarta area.

I'll just write down a sample case here:

I know three similar cases like the above.

Opening a dojo:
  1. Find somebody experienced in Aikido. A yudansha is a must. A high kyu ranking student is still needed to be backed up by a yudansha and an experienced dojo.
  2. Find a place to train. Indoors are better, but it doesn't close the possibilities of outdoor trainings.
  3. Mattresses or tatamis are actually needed to avoid any injury.
  4. Be affiliated to more experienced dojos.

The lack of yudanshas here in Indonesia forced us to be more proactive. Seniors becoming assistant instructors, almost like an uchi-deshi, which teach classes in the sensei's absence.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:29 PM   #4
Dean H.
GA Aikido

There are good choices in Atlanta, which should only be about 85 miles from you.

I have driven from Birmingham 165 + miles to train with three dojos there. You can choose from AAA and Yamada organizations, mostly, but you can also find Shihan Obata's representatives.

Hope this helps,

Dean
Old 12-17-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
Williamross77

Dojo: aikido of shreveport
United_States
did you find the university dojo in student activities on campus, sound like they are right in your back door?

in Aiki
Agatsu!!

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!