Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
Tom123
United Kingdom
Cross training Tomiki aiki with judo

Hi

I've been doing Tomiki aikido for around 15 months and really love it. My sensei is a former judo yudansha and speaks very fondly of his judo days (he's been doing aiki for 40 years!). He sometimes sticks some judo waza into the training in order to mix it up a bit.

I intend on join a local judo club in order to extend my repertoire of experience and techniques (obviously Tomiki aikido is a lot closer to judo than traditional styles, in that Tomiki was an 8th dan judoka, we pracrtise randori and there is competition within Tomiki aikido.

I'd be really interested to hear from anybody who has practised aikido and judo at the same time: good stuff, bad stuff, whatever....

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
felipe_3
Dojo: Kynsei Ryu
Ecuador
Re: Cross training Tomiki aiki with judo

mmmm I`m not but I has listened that the judo is liike the aikido but not the same
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #3
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

After I got my Shodan at shodokan Honbu I joined a local Judo club for much the same reasons you gave. Actually ended up taking Shodan in Judo in a city wide grading competition about 5 months later but that certainly was not the intent when I started. I think that if you are trained well in Shodokan the transition is not that difficult but I also believe that you should at least get through the kyu grades in Shodokan. I qualify that last bit with how many times a week you can practice Aikido - if its only available once or twice a week start on Judo now - at the very least its a great workout. In Japan early training in Judo is heavy on randori, light on kata - which is the opposite of Shdokan Aikido early training. I think they complement each other nicely in so many ways.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
crbateman

Martin, I'd recommend that you simply go do it and see if it feels right. It should be a much easier adaptation for you, as a Tomiki stylist. Have fun.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

From my perspective they compliment each other... Judo takes off where Aikido left off.

In our higher kyu ranks we do koshinage, Sumi Otoshi, & Kubinage... moves which are a closer transition to what you would expect in Judo. [one, if not all of those are done in Judo]

Its really about range... Aikido is medium range for knives, etc.
Judo is close range for flipping/throwing and setting you up for ground fighting. [BJJ]

Somewhere in-between Aikido and Judo is the clinch and knees/elbows along with kicks & strikes further out, etc.

So from my perspective Aikido is a part of the larger whole.
Judo, Aikido, BJJ are a natural triangle... they all came from Jiu-Jitus and it shows... its like 3 brothers just walked off one day and forgot about the other and the strengths they offered.

Enjoy your training! [Judo is a bit rough for my body at the time, at least conceptually, though I wouldnt mind trying it out.]

Peace

dAlen

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-17-2010, 04:02 AM   #6
Andrew Macdonald

as a side note

is there not a story of Kano visiting o'sensei, watching aikido and commenting that it was the highest form of judo/
Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Melchizedek

Dojo: Phil. Aikikai/Santiago Aikido Club
Philippines

Quote:
Andrew Macdonald wrote: View Post
as a side note

is there not a story of Kano visiting o'sensei, watching aikido and commenting that it was the highest form of judo/
O' Sensie M Ueshiba & GM J Kano were Good Friends and they humbly compliment its others Art. they believed that their not just friends but family. / Humble individuals great Art following the Code of Bushido.., they must have been loved by there GMRC back then.

im so fortunate to be an Martial Artist.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

I would say give it a go. I myself would love to do judo one day. One of our yudansha did judo before aikido and he got a lot out of it. Chiba Sensei did judo for quite some time, but then went on to aikido because he thought it was a more complete art. Actually, Chiba Sensei doesn't like to teach techniques like koshinage too often because he doesn't want aikido students doing bad judo. Because of that, my sensei doesn't do koshinage too often either. I have been uke for it several times lately (as people are getting ready for shodan), but I have not once done it myself.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
Tom123
United Kingdom

Many thanks for your positive and useful comments, guys. I'm really looking forward to my first class, though I'll probably be doing quite a bit of huffing and puffing by the sound of it!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
So from my perspective Aikido is a part of the larger whole.
Judo, Aikido, BJJ are a natural triangle... they all came from Jiu-Jitsu and it shows... its like 3 brothers just walked off one day and forgot about the other and the strengths they offered.
This.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #11
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai

Both arts come from each other, if you have the time for both and your body can take the ukemi, then proceed with your training.