Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
jason jordan

Dojo: Dallas Aikikai/ Southlake Aikikai
United_States
Real life Randori by non-aikidoka

Just a quick observation.

I have just spent an hour watching a show with my wife called.
"Most Shocking Videos". In 3 of the videos it took multiple police officers to subdue one attacker. Sometimes 5-7

I am amazed at how well the perpetraitors were able to keep moving, and managed to cause the officers to basically run into themselves causing their own neutralization. In almost all occurences pepper spray had to be brought in.

Seems like a lot has to be said about will-power and determination.
I am starting to rethink the whole randori demos not being realistic.
Maybe they are more realistic than we realize.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
Lorien Lowe
Dojo: Northcoast Aikido
Re: Real life Randori by non-aikidoka

...at least when the attackers are not trying to seriously harm nage. If the only intent was to do debilitating damage, I suspect the results would be different.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

You must keep in mind that most police officers are not trained to handle these types of situations. When I was in Okinawa, the Okinawans that wanted to join the police academy had to be a Nidan in some form of martial art to even get into the police academy. That is not the case here in the USA. That's why some ploice officers study Aikido and Ju-Jitsu.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
jason jordan

United_States

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote: View Post
You must keep in mind that most police officers are not trained to handle these types of situations. When I was in Okinawa, the Okinawans that wanted to join the police academy had to be a Nidan in some form of martial art to even get into the police academy. That is not the case here in the USA. That's why some ploice officers study Aikido and Ju-Jitsu.
Yes I have heard that. I really wish we in the US would implement that. I've seen times when Police officers didn't know what to do, or how to handle themselves properly and the end was bad.

I admire police who take the iniative get more training on their own time.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
jason jordan

United_States

And I agree with you Lorien. It was just nice to see. It almost looked text book. I am not one for randori demos. I've seen way to many demos that just did it in for me.

I don't like seeing people fall for no reason.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Lyle Laizure

Dojo: Hinode Dojo LLC
United_States

A real threat seems to bring out a different type of determination in a person. There is also something to be said for police officers that are hamstringed with rules where their subjects are not.

Lyle Laizure
www.hinodedojo.com
Deru kugi wa uta reru
Old 04-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
justin
United Kingdom

what also can not be overlooked is the police officers have to show restraint in the times of lawsuits being issued everywhere.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Basia Halliop
Canada

The two 'sides' do have different goals, though, don't they?

The one usually just wants to get away. Or maybe in some cases there is someone they are trying to hurt.

The other side is trying to simultaneously catch the suspect, hold them still long enough to get handcuffs on them, and keep bystanders, themselves, their fellow officers, and the suspect from getting hurt. So to me it actually seems sort of natural that that would be harder. Because they aren't really 'fighting' (that's not their job - they aren't soldiers trying to kill someone), but the other person may be. It's like when people comment on how hard it can be to physically restrain a child, even a small one - yes, because physically restraining someone is actually quite different from attacking them, isn't it? It wouldn't be nearly as hard if you weren't trying to do it safely, would it? To me it doesn't seem so.

In cases where the multiple officers aren't really committed to doing all those things -- the times I've seen or heard of that (e.g. in the news) -- it seems to me that it looks very different.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
jason jordan

United_States

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
The two 'sides' do have different goals, though, don't they?

The one usually just wants to get away. Or maybe in some cases there is someone they are trying to hurt.

The other side is trying to simultaneously catch the suspect, hold them still long enough to get handcuffs on them, and keep bystanders, themselves, their fellow officers, and the suspect from getting hurt. .
Good points, but to me this is one of the keys to good randori.
Don't become confused, and mentally dis-oriented instead keep the attackers confused and dis-oriented.

The problem is that each officer is trying to do the same things as the others. If they all had a particular role to play, rather than everyone trying for the same goal, they could then focus and work together.

I feel the reason the suspect can easily get away is because he alone is focused on one thing...Escape. I have often heard most Shihan say, don't deal with the attackers as a multiples but as one individual.

It seems that the key is to remain focused on one point. Maybe?