Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Websites

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 11-04-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
chris_davis01
Dojo: Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Hakkuho Kai
Ai symbol New Site

Hi people

have just uploaded my new site

www.martialartworks.co.uk

please pop in and take a look,

cheers
chris
Old 11-04-2002, 09:21 AM   #2
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: New Site

Quote:
chris davis (chris_davis01) wrote:
Hi people

have just uploaded my new site
As this site is claimed to be made by profesionals and even offers webdesign I will be completely honest with my comments.

I hate it. It is not browser independent and depends partly on personal settings. This results in ugly backgrounds, text runs through pictures or is covered by the picture. It looks like cheap commercial $%#$%. Quality one gets if an 8 year old starts using Frontpage without any practise, experience or plan.

I do wonder if you have permission to use the pictures you use on such an obviously commercial website.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 11-04-2002, 10:11 AM   #3
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
Gee Erik, holding back a bit eh?

Actually, I couldn't even get onto it!
Old 11-04-2002, 06:13 PM   #4
MaylandL
Re: Re: New Site

Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:

I hate it. It is not browser independent and depends partly on personal settings. This results in ugly backgrounds, text runs through pictures or is covered by the picture. It looks like cheap commercial $%#$%. Quality one gets if an 8 year old starts using Frontpage without any practise, experience or plan.

I do wonder if you have permission to use the pictures you use on such an obviously commercial website.
Ouch! I thought it was ok but I didn't have the technical problems with the website that you mentioned.

Mayland
Old 11-04-2002, 07:36 PM   #5
Erik
A few comments.

1. Your home page footprint is too large. Particularly the logo image in the left which runs 97K by it's animated self, and the kanji gif is 79K. By the way, animation is annoying.

2. I'd kill the frames. I didn't see anything that required them and they tend to react strangely when you deep link to a page.

3. The hit counter could be a Perl script. There's dozens on the net that will do everything this fast counter thing will.

4. "Best Viewed By" is a warning sign that something is wrong in your design. It's like someone screaming, "I DON'T WORK IN MOST RESOLUTIONS". I suspect losing the frames will help you here. Most people surf at 800 X 600 by the way.

PS: Opera at 800 x 600 did not like some parts of your site. Note, I don't change resolutions (most people would not) and I use a non-mainstream browser. Another argument for simple and clean HTML.

Last edited by Erik : 11-04-2002 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:36 AM   #6
Mike Johnson
Dojo: Ken Shin Kai
Chris,

Sorry, I'm going to have to go along with the majority view on here. I found the frames distracting and poorly sized. I thought the buttons were incosistent ('pics' on some links, 'pictures' on others), and there were a few basic grammer mistakes.

As a general martial arts homepage, it doesn't look too bad, but if you're going to advertise as professional web developers, it's going to have to be spot on

Having said all that, it's always nice to have new sites to look at, so I'll bookmark it and see how it progresses - good luck with it.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:53 AM   #7
chris_davis01
Dojo: Daito Ryu Aiki Jujutsu Hakkuho Kai
Thanks for the honest comments guys!!

This site is 9-10 months old and was constructed in front page - at this time MA design was not offering a Web design service professionally. MA design deals with Graphic Design in the Main and has only recently branched into Web.

I now work in Dreamweaver and Flash and am currently working on the update, the main purpose of the site is to sell framed Kanji to the MA community in the UK - This is not on offer anywhere else in the UK and This site was really a quick fix - the majority of sales are done at events.

All images used on this site are either the property of ma design or have full permissions.

I know i said that the site was new but that is not really true - just wanted to make people aware of it on this forum.

I am not trying to advertise the products - i signed to this forum because i am a practitioner of Daito ryu - just wanted to make people aware of it.

Thanks for the comments people - i agree with them all and no longer work to such shoddy standards.

Cheers

Chris