Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #26
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark
Re: Why Do You Study Aikido?

Quote:
Shawn Carey wrote: View Post
Why do *you* study Aikido? If you're a veteran, have your reasons changed much? If beginning, what is your purpose?
Itīs a good question. In the beginning I knew nothing yet all in that particular perspective, later on I know a little more on some levels, in a different perspective, still I know nothing- I guess ?
:-)
Lars
Old 05-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Once you get the budo fever, reasons don't seem to matter much any more. Training becomes its own reason.

Also, the stories make it seem like ignoring the call to adventure is a pretty bad idea.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
lars beyer
Dojo: Copenhagen Aikishuren Dojo
Denmark

When I started it gave me self confidence.
Over the years it changed into self sufficiency and then again it developed into
aknowledging others.
Short story off course :-)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

I was getting beaten up by bullies in school as a little kid. So, I started in a hambu school when I was 8, probably too young really, but there yu go. Coming up, spending about 2 years with my original teacher Paul, great guy, good technician (I can see he wasn't brilliant now, but at the time he was magic), I enjoyed myself greatly. But, not enough "action" for the near-pubescent male, so karate ensued, and I found myself strangely effective as I shied away from direct "pressure-on-pressure" confrontations. Looking on it now, I think Paul would have grinned to see me spar.

Later on, got to college, took up taekwondo because that was what was "there." taekwondo slowly grew into hapkido, for which I had a sort of "natural" talent (laughing now is appropriate if you know the history). Hapkido slid sideways into Muay Thai and full-contact training and bouts, about as far as one can get from aikido practice as one might get... sort of. See my comments about finding "aiki" in other arts, if not actual "aikido." Words.... ah well.

Ended up in a judo school at around 26 or so, trading teaching in one for learning the other, loved it. Competition without ... much ... blood. Did that for some years, then noticed that the years and years of kick-punch were starting to take a toll on the knees, and I'd seen some of the old masters with their canes, etc. So, I decided I didn't want to go that route. Found aikido actually IN the same place as I was doing the judo - weird story, what - and started doing that first slowly, then with increasing intensity. It's overcome everything else by now.

But, still, the same reason. I don't want to get beaten up. Means different things at age 8 than it does at 45, admittedly. But there you go, that's the reason.

I've received a great deal of benefit along the way other than simply not being someone's punching bag. And, probably taken so many blows and shots and locks and throws and kicks and etc., that it really shouldn't matter, eh?

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #30
Cleo
United Kingdom

Good question indeed...
It helps me to relax my mind and body. It is fantastic way to relax!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #31
RioSensei

Dojo: Seishin Ryoku, Jackson, Ohio
United_States

I was searching for a martial art to study and came across this small Aikido class. I tried it and witnessed this unassuming man making seemingly simple movements while the students flew around the mat. I was unable to replicate his effortless movements! I now understand why, but, at the time, it was a complete mystery. I decided then and there that this mystery would open itself to me and I would figure out this "Aikido stuff". I'm now Ni Dan and I'm still trying to solve the "mystery".

I now teach in my own school (and continue to train under my Sensei). Aiding others in there search for the "answers" to Aikido is a great reward.

I began because it was a mystery, and I continue because it is still a mystery. The more I learn, the less I know. May I never find the "answer" :-)

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
Mary Eastland

Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido

Because it is fun.

Mary Eastland

Dare to Tenkan
Old 05-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #33
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I started because I love to ballroom dance and the footwork is surprisingly similar. I love to waltz around people and have them wonder what I just did. Great feeling.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #34
allowedcloud
United_States

I first started Aikido due to a combination of some of the most common reasons...the desire to learn a martial art, to build self-confidence, exercise...even boredom.

I started practicing a multitude of techniques from several set attacks. While the martial effectiveness of many of these techniques seemed dubious to me, well, I was having fun throwing and being thrown with different partners. The atmosphere was awesome and that kept me coming back.

And then I discovered aiki. True aiki. I never imagined something could be so powerful, terrifying, but at the same time it could be entirely peaceful. And I found a method to train aiki that is vastly different from the aikido I was doing before.

So my reasons for practicing aikido have drastically changed. Before, I was mostly interested in performing the throws and locks (and being thrown and locked), now I practice aikido as a means to express aiki.

So here I am, back to square one. Looking back, I think I actually didn't learn much, rather, I found out that I didn't know that I didn't know.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
Marie Noelle Fequiere

Dojo: Atibon Aikido, Port Au Prince, Haiti
Haiti

After years of training in Shotokan Karate, I wanted to learn another perspective and philosophy of fighting. I also wanted to learn to use the sword, and where I live, Ikashi Dojo is the only place that provides a decent teaching for this weapon.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #36
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I started Judo when Bruce Lee appeared on the scene, but not becuase of Bruce Lee, it was more my mother's idea - probably thought I needed toughening up for high school. We had read a book that said the small man can beat the bigger. However, I was small at the time and discovered it was a big lie. Carried on though but have to say, in retrospect, I learned absolutely nothing. Then, after high school, my friend dragged me off to a Tomiki Aikido class run by a chap named Barry Vigrass. The guy was amazing - he was small, middle aged, and could beat everyone. I then learned he was black belt Judo and 1st Kyu Karate, which in those days was really something. I was hooked. He also encouraged us to go learn other stuff, which was also unheard of back then. After about 3 years I was also into Aikikai and Jujutsu and also had gone back to Judo - I was nuts. There just weren't enough days in the week. The friend who dragged me to that first Aikido class quit after 2 weeks.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #37
Robert Cowham
Dojo: East Sheen Aikido and Kashima No Tachi

I read "Ki in Everyday Life" by Tohei Koichi sensei while I was in Turin, Italy. There were some dojos listed in the back of the book, they were friendly guys and I enjoyed it. I was hooked!

It helps that you can keep getting better as you get older (if you keep practicing!)