Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
scarey
Dojo: Shinkikan
United_States
Why Do You Study Aikido?

Why do *you* study Aikido? If you're a veteran, have your reasons changed much? If beginning, what is your purpose?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #2
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands
Re: Why Do You Study Aikido?

Very good question indeed.

When I was young I really loved (actually still do!) the Chinese martial art movies (mainly Kung Fu) and off course wanted to be like that.
In my neighbourhood this was not possible and other martial arts were hard/confronting which I did not like and still do not. So I went swimming, volleyball, gymnastics. Many years later I found out one of my nephews practised Aikido and was very enthousiastic about it. He told me stuff, showed me a couple of things...three months later I attended summer school of Kanetsuka Sensei and Fujita Sensei. I was sold.
Over the years learned more, changed styles and finally found my Aikido. I found out that learning how to hurt someone should not have to hurt, if you understand. I feel that is what Morihei drove to develop Aikido. Create a softer method of training (more accessible).

So why? At the time because I just loved the acrobatics and beating these masters displayed, nowadays to better myself and help my (and other) students to find their way.

Last edited by Tim Ruijs : 06-20-2011 at 01:57 AM.

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 06-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
Jauch

Dojo: Shinji Dojo/Curitiba, Paraná, Brasil
Portugal

Well...
I started because on that time (almost 10 years ago), my life was a bit "messy". So, a doctor told me that do an oriental martial art would be good to me. He advises me kung fu. But because I have a friend of mine that was (and still is) practicing aikido already, I choose aikido them.
For sure, at that time, "self defense" was not a concern to me (and still isn't).
I can say that aikido became very important to me, for many reasons.
The most important, probably, is that I love to fly over tatamae.
And what's my purpose now? Why I still training?
For many reasons too. But the most important I think it is... "Bath sponge move in the shower the force with will I..."
Someday, who knows...? haha
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

I usually say its because I don't golf. (Something about those windmills and clown faces freaked me out. ;-)

Initially it seemed like the natural next step in my martial studies.

Now (after 16 years) I just enjoy the training and the people.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #5
St Matt
United Kingdom

I started it as I was looking for a self defense method. I have a permanently damaged ankle and therefore running away from any kind of confrontation is not an option. I chose Aikido because when I looked into it I thought the training had very little kicks / leg sweeps, unlike Karate and Ju-jutsu etc as these would be a problem with my condition. Also I have always seemed to turn/spin when friends and myself have had a bit of play fighting and I saw this in a certain action hero's fight scenes so thought it may suit me ;-)

I am now really enjoying my training and try to go as much as possible. Would I be able to use it as a 5th kyu if a self defense situation arose? I think I probably would (depending on the attacker) so it is doing what I wanted it to!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #6
lbb
United_States

Because I want to. No great plans or grand ambitions here.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

High Shawn.
My purpose as a confused teenager was to try to make some sense out of life. I had read some books and then came across Aikido and a Teacher that gave me hope.

Nowadays teaching I would say my main purpose is to help to put it in a nutshell.

It is interesting also that it's the main question I have for anyone who wants to train with me ie: What's your purpose? This alone gives me the idea of whether I can help them or to direct them to someone I know who can.

Regards.G.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu,
Aikido is much like the physical expression of Nature, what is that harmony that appears? But it catches our attention and interest again and again and over the years becomes everything we are.
In gassho,
Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 06-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

because it was always too hard to find open courts for playing tennis and the wife wasn't all that interested in playing regularly. And I can't afford a membership to the local swim clubs or country clubs. And I hate jogging.

Okay, that was a *somewhat* joking answer. But the reality is that for most of us something simply "fits" our lives, expectations, etc. For me I started Aikido because I was skeptical. I stayed after experiencing what a couple people I still train with to this day could do to me even though I was bigger, younger, stronger, and even had a few tricks up my sleeve from other training. I went in pursuit of that thinking it would be hard to learn. And it was. And still is. But in the end it is simply something I *do*. Not much more complicated than that...

Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
BKK
Dojo: Elkton Ki Aikido, Elkton Va.
United_States

I started Aikido because it looked like something that I would enjoy, and because it looked like it would give me more options than the Tae Kwon Do I was doing, so I tried it and loved it, and I still do it because I love it and enjoy it, although the reasons I enjoy it have changed over the years.

In the beginning it was the physicality of it as well as the challenge of learning to do what sensei and the senior students seemed to do so easily. Now I teach, but I still have a teacher, so I'm still a student and there are still challenges, but they are different challenges. It doesn't appear that there will ever not be any challenges in it for me, and as long as I can do it I will do it.

Brian
Old 06-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

For something to do. Keeps me curious because I find it so challenging.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

Because it's a deep intellectual, mental and physical challenge.

And it's fun too
Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States

Because no matter how I feel when I get in the car to go to the dojo I always leave it feeling happy and relaxed.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
dapidmini
Dojo: Surabaya Aikido Dojo
Indonesia

I started aikido because I was a little overweight. over the years, I became to love it and made many friends with various backgrounds and skills especially in martial arts. and recently I realized that somehow I'm addicted to the feeling when I'm training and after.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #15
gates

I could give a myriad of reasons, instead here is a shoddy poem.

The eternal pursuit of truth and happiness led me to the dojo gate,
A request was made “please leave your shoes and ego at the door”,
A few hours later my body was bruised and sore.

To forge out the impurities from my body and soul that is why I came
I pray every day in every moment that I do not forget the reasons I need to train

Now i've started I’ll carry on along this path until the very end, I'll manage tai no henka one day, even if it drives me round the bend.

(A poet I ain't)

Enjoy the journey
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

I practice, because it is the right thing to do.
Jus as to breathe.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
Eric Hood
Dojo: Vernon, NJ

I wanted to do a martial art. I was looking for Krav Maga. But, I live in the boonies. My buddy got me interested.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:06 AM   #18
amoeba
Dojo: Aikido Netzwerk
Germany

I was always kind of interested in japanese martial arts - throwing, rolling etc. sounded cool. So when a friend asked me to come along for a class, I did. I liked it, I was actually more talented for aikido than for other kinds of sports (at which I always sucked), so I quit tennis and stayed in aikido. Sounds prosaic, but that's about it...

Why do I keep practicing today? Mainly because I just enjoy training, because it' a lot of fun, I still like the throws and the rolling (and falling), there's a lot of nice people around and I've found new friend all over the world.

But to be honest, I guess that if my friend had started judo or karate back then (and the school had been as good), I might have had just as much fun there...
Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #19
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Talking Re: Why Do You Study Aikido?

Quote:
Cherie Cornmesser wrote: View Post
Because no matter how I feel when I get in the car to go to the dojo I always leave it feeling happy and relaxed.
So true! Especially when I can get myself up at 5am to get to the 6am class. I feel miserable getting there, but I feel great coming home!
Old 06-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #20
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Ki Symbol Re: Why Do You Study Aikido?

Quote:
Eric Hood wrote: View Post
I wanted to do a martial art. I was looking for Krav Maga. But, I live in the boonies. My buddy got me interested.
I am also looking at Krav Maga, specifically to compliment my Aikido. In particular, I am looking to expand my weapons takeaways/disarms.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #21
aikidoka81

Singapore

Mainly for self-defence, exercise and to build my self-confidence and self-esteem.

Aikido The Gentle Martial Art http://www.squidoo.com/aikido3
Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 AM   #22
notdrock
Australia

Structure. The basis of all good martial arts stem from structure and self-awareness. O' Sensei saw this and found a beautiful way to train it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
JLRonin

United_States

It fits my essence and personality.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #24
Cliff Judge
Japan

Because everybody thinks it is foolish.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #25
BJohnston
United_States

I needed a release. I had always been fascinated with the movements of Aikido. I had a friend involved in MMA. I was looking for something to try. In his opinion Aikido was ideal because it's an art that you can grow old with. Unlike some other arts that may be a bit more harsh on the body. I did my due diligence with researching history, styles, the philosophy...etc. I was lucky to have found a great dojo. I haven't looked back. It's actually given me so much more than I ever anticipated.

B