Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Peter Boylan
United_States
The language of Aikido

I was catching flak in some other forums for my blog about etiquette in budo. Several people came out against foreign etiquette and language because they live in America and don't need it. I responded with this blog about language and budo:

http://budobum.blogspot.com/2014/06/...-and-budo.html

The issue I see in Aikido is there is no standard language across aikido styles anymore. The Aikikai uses one set of jargon, Yoshikan another, Ki No Kenkyukai a third, and Tomiki styles use still another. Would it be better to share a single terminology across the aikido world?

Peter Boylan
Mugendo Budogu LLC
Budo Books, Videos, Equipment from Japan
http://www.budogu.com
Old 06-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States
Re: The language of Aikido

http://budobum.blogspot.com/2014/06/...-and-budo.html

Makes sense......
Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

I like variation. If you made them all the same, you would likely lose a lot of that variation = a lot of stuff. If you go to other schools you want to learn new stuff, right?

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
SeiserL

United_States

Perhaps if we want everything in our own language/etiquette, we have not really learned what Aikido has to teach us ...

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #5
Millsy
Dojo: Aiki-Centre
Australia

I've heard a sensei of mine say: These are the tools of our trade bother to learn their names, if you were a plumber you wouldn't ask another plumber to pass the long turny thingy would you?

As you say using the correct terms with those who know simply conveys the entire concept in ways imprecise language doesn't. Though things get tricky between arts: eg. Maki Otoshi means something different if I'm doing Aikido, Jodo, Jo, or Naginata. So it also helps to know what it actually means sometimes to keep things straight
Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #6
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Perhaps if we want everything in our own language/etiquette, we have not really learned what Aikido has to teach us ...
+1

The language is intended to communicate the curriculum of aikido. I think sometimes we lose the bigger picture when we get caught in up "what" and forget about "why."

Last edited by jonreading : 06-20-2014 at 07:08 AM.

Jon Reading
Old 06-20-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
Indeed. It's natural for humans to want to things be comfortable -- easy to access, easy to do, easy to understand -- but it's not very good for us to expect this, to depend on it, or to indulge in it much (if by great good fortunate you are able to always have things your way). The world is what it is, and insisting on receiving the world always on your terms does not change the world -- it just paints you into an increasingly smaller corner of it.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Personally, I'd like one consistent nomenclatura for the aikido techniques, if nothing else. Your nikkyo meets my kotemawashi? I don't know if it does or doesn't!

I DO know that when I've trained with other aikido folks, the classic "What do y'all call this?" works out, but we both have to be physically present, or have live video feed, which is even more rare than hanging out together.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.