Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #76
DH
United_States
Re: Daito Ryu, Yoshinkan, Taichi & Secrets

Chris
You're talking to a couple of guys who both spent time in that basement dojo and either slept on the tatami in the spare room or upstairs next to the Kitchen.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #77
Chris Parkerson
Dojo: Academy of the Martial Arts
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Chris
You're talking to a couple of guys who both spent time in that basement dojo and either slept on the tatami in the spare room or upstairs next to the Kitchen.
I onlky wish my contract had lasted longer than two years. That was great training.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #78
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Mark,

Not only is that guy a wussy, be he seems to have put on a few these days.

Chris,

That's me

Have fun !

Howard Popkin
Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #79
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Mark,

Not only is that guy a wussy, be he seems to have put on a few these days.

Chris,

That's me

Have fun !

Howard Popkin
I figured as much once Dan warned me and I reread the context.
Do you remember Frank Gallagher? I introduced him to Sensei Goldberg just before I left.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #80
DH
United_States

Quote:
he seems to have put on a few these days.
Hmmm...
Too much fishin
Too much beer
Sound familiar?
Then again is there ever too much....

Last edited by DH : 04-25-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #81
Howard Popkin
United_States

Never too much fishing.

I don't drink all that much these days, but I talk a good game.

Be well,

Howard
Old 04-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #82
Howard Popkin
United_States

Sure I remember Frank, but its been a very long time.

I think I left there sometime early 93. Memory could be off though.

Howard
Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #83
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:

Howard
eye ended up working for Kissinger and Associates and could not continue. Became Director of Se urity there. Then in 2003, Kissinger recommended him to run security for L Paul Bremer in Iraq. I worked with him there for a while on a parallel contract. Then I read Bremer's book. He mentions Frank in it.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #84
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:

Howard
He ended up working for Kissinger and Associates and could not continue. Became Director of Security there. Then in 2003, Kissinger recommended him to run security for L Paul Bremer in Iraq. I worked with him there for a while on a parallel contract. Then I read Bremer's book. He mentions Frank in it.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:48 AM   #85
tuturuhan
United_States

[quote=Mike Sigman;204536]
"Bully"? Odd how anyone who questions you has some sort of personal problem or is too far below you for you to respond. Wu De might be another good term for you to look up.

Mike,

Let me be clear. When I used the term "Bully" I was referring to you bullying others into believing you are an expert.

Let's see your tapes. Let's keep the discussion to skill and ability in martial practice.

Sincerely
Joseph

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 04-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #86
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Joseph Arriola wrote: View Post
Let me be clear. When I used the term "Bully" I was referring to you bullying others into believing you are an expert.
Oh, Joseph... you and your big-city ways! Go back and read my posts where I've said a couple of times (at least) that I'm a beginner. An amateur. I admit it. You're the one saying how "advanced" you are. So figure it out using the non-sticking push-hands which you didn't know about and the "five-bows" which you don't know about. There is an amateur who apparently knows more than you do, yet you're claiming to be advanced. How does that work? One of us must not be what he's claiming to be.

However, I assure you that I am an amateur. But in some ways, I am a smart amateur because I know something that most amateurs don't really appear to know.... I *know* I am an amateur and I'm smart enough to admit it. The reason I know I am an amateur is that I compare myself to a few of the really advanced people I know and I see how much they know and can do that is beyond my skills.

So I think to myself that sure I can do enough impressive tricks to fool other amateurs and below, but would I fool a real expert? The answer is "no". So I don't bother pretending that I am something that I am not... because I'm smart enough to know that the charade would not stand up to scrutiny if a real expert was around. I would have thought that similar thinking would be the rule by most people, but I've found over the years that so many people are interested in being someone, in making money, etc., that they decide to go for the pose that they are advanced that they forget common sense.
Quote:
Let's see your tapes. Let's keep the discussion to skill and ability in martial practice.
Well, who is going to judge me, if I posted some tapes? You? Heck, you don't even know what real push-hands is or how to do real ti fang or what the "five bows" mean.... would you suggest that you're going to judge me?

Maybe you should go visit Dan, too! I can see that you like bridging and trapping, and you've obviously worked on some iron-palm training. Are you a coconut-breaker, too, like Chris? And hey, you know how to move your middle for certain applications, but you're not at the level where you control your body with your middle and you go to pure arm/shoulder usage a lot, which is short of real internal power usage. But all those areas would be greatly improved if you can find someone like Dan who is willing to work with people. You should give it a try.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 04-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #87
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

As an observer, let me be clear...Mike has done no bullying in this thread.

I also love it when the name dropping ends up with two long time participants of the dojo in question in attendance. Keeps the story telling to a minimum.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 04-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #88
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Joseph Arriola wrote:

Quote:
Yes, I am belligerent. Yes, I defend my standards. If I didn't I wouldn't be teaching people "how to defend themselves".

I have simply asked the recognized experts (by popularity vote) to demonstrate how you use their stuff to teach other "how to defend themselves".
As far as self defense goes..

What is the main focus of your self defense training?

What is the general profile of the people you teach? (civilians, military, police etc.)

What are the main risk or situations that your self defense training seeks to mitigate?

What are the top 5 situations that you would say you teach your students to defend themselves against?

How do you intergrate internal skills into those situations?

Just trying to get an idea of the context in which you are training self defense. I am trying to integrate internal skills into my training and I am always curious how others see it being implemented.

thanks!

Old 04-26-2008, 03:50 PM   #89
Dan Austin
United_States

Quote:
Dan,

Yes, I am belligerent. Yes, I defend my standards. If I didn't I wouldn't be teaching people "how to defend themselves".

I have simply asked the recognized experts (by popularity vote) to demonstrate how you use their stuff to teach other "how to defend themselves".

Now, you can critique the tapes I have put up. You can say they are bad or good. The results speak for themselves. Do my opponents react to my technique? Are they in pain? Are they fearful? Am I hitting them with little or no external power?

This is sticking to the analysis and not reacting emotionally.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
You admit you are belligerent (you forgot condescending ) and yet you accuse Mike of being the bully in this thread, which is clearly not the case. You mentioned fighting, he didn't. Now that you're being called on it, you want to talk about technique - except you want Mike to talk about it first even when you brought it up.

Now here you take a swipe at Mike, Dan, and Rob, and the whole board by saying their expertise is by "popularity vote". In other words we are all too amateur in your eyes to be able to judge our fellow martial artists, even though many people here possess decades of experience and have felt what these gentlemen do as compared to what hundreds of other martial artists of their experience do. Your stated 35 years of training is a) unverified, b) immaterial even if true, and c) doesn't automatically impress anyone else. All combined the people posting on this thread may have hundreds of man-years of experience in varied arts - it's not a roomful of rubes here who will mindlessly cheer every video and bit of wisdom you deign to share. Insulting the audience isn't going to impress them.

When asked a pointed question like how pushhands can properly break contact, you get belligerent, yet when called on your attitude now you want to talk technique. OK fine, so why then do you break contact in pushhands when no acknowledged Tai Chi masters do, and why does what they as acknowledged experts do look so different than what you do?

Last edited by Dan Austin : 04-26-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #90
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo

Greetings All,
Quote:
Chris Parkerson wrote: View Post
I would love to see him again and see where he has gone with his art. It was a wonderful thing to feel even 16 years ago.
Goldberg-sensei will teach a workshop at Aikido of Northern Virginia on June 13 and 14. Please see the announcement at http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14341.

There are reviews of two of Goldberg-sensei's previous seminars at http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12336 and http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...8ac58e09696827.

Jim
Old 04-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #91
tuturuhan
United_States

Connect and Disconnect in Push Hands

I've answered Mike's question several times. ("why do you disconnect" I will answer again. In Tai Chi Chuan you "blend, grasp and manipulate".

You blend by becoming one with your opponent. You grasp your opponent by keeping contact. Then you break the connection without him knowing the connection as been broken. You do so...to strike, joint lock, pressure point and grapple.

Watch this tape done at a Seminar in Rome, Italy. I break connection rather dramatically:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvwuw6ctjlo

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 04-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #92
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Then you break the connection without him knowing the connection as been broken. You do so...to strike, joint lock, pressure point and grapple.
You know, Joseph... you really have no idea about what jin is or what taiji really is. I think the idea for you is that if you don't know, nobody knows. You need to take some lessons from a reputable instructor. It's not a case of "cup being too full"... I think it's a case of "blinded by one's own self's brilliance".

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 04-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #93
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Jim Sorrentino wrote: View Post
Greetings All, Goldberg-sensei will teach a workshop at Aikido of Northern Virginia on June 13 and 14. Please see the announcement at http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14341.

There are reviews of two of Goldberg-sensei's previous seminars at http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12336 and http://www.aikidojournal.com/forums/...8ac58e09696827.

Jim
Yes Jim,

I saw your post on that. Thanks. I am hoping to attend that as well as the Akuzawa seminar. My issue is that I have a major contract in San Francisco about the same time and I am dependent on the client deciding the actual date on a last minute basis. Playing it by ear and hoping to get in at the last minute if there is still room.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 PM   #94
tuturuhan
United_States

Quote: Oh, Joseph... you and your big-city ways! Go back and read my posts where I've said a couple of times (at least) that I'm a beginner. An amateur. I admit it.

Mike,

How do you know about "jin" if you are a beginner? What do you tell your seminar attendees to entice them "as a beginner". No...I am sure you are an intermediate.

But, I'm a bit tired of asking you to show your videos (push hands, sparring, staff, knife, 3 sectional staff, or for indications of your vast audience of believers).

So, as an intermediate, how can you judge my skills if you are a beginner? Try not to be so insecure.

Now, since you've judged me...why do you waste your time asking me questions? Is it because you feel I am a danger to the public. Well, let me assure you I have a profession. I am a lawyer. I am married to a lawyer and I have two great kids. I have a bit of money in the bank and I have quite a properous life. You don't need to worry about me bamboozling the public.

Why don't you let me say my 2 cents and ignore me. If I am someone of no reckoning you should "tell eveyone and just let it go". But, I don't think your insecurities will let you do that.

But, if after you finish your tirade, some people are interested in coming to my classes and seminars great. Know...there is enough room for all of us. Obviously, you have your camp of believers. Though, I'm still kind of amazed given the fact you are a beginner.

Here is another tape to analyze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJlPnQyeIE

Can you see the Tai Chi Chuan here? Again, I prefer to talk with people who are interested in the analysis.

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 04-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #95
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
How do you know about "jin" if you are a beginner?
Surely you don't think "jin" is an advanced or intermediate topic, Joseph? I thought you were knowledgeable?
Quote:
What do you tell your seminar attendees to entice them "as a beginner". No...I am sure you are an intermediate.
Except I don't do seminars for any real part of my livelihood, Joseph, so I don't "entice" anyone. Occasionally I do workshops IF I am invited and IF I decide I want to do them. I'm not trying to set up an empire with sub-teachers in the Bay Area.
Quote:
But, I'm a bit tired of asking you to show your videos (push hands, sparring, staff, knife, 3 sectional staff, or for indications of your vast audience of believers).
Even an amateur should know that Taiji and the related arts are part of the 18-weapons traditional systems. Three-sectional staff? Are you serious?
Quote:
Well, let me assure you I have a profession. I am a lawyer. I am married to a lawyer and I have two great kids. I have a bit of money in the bank and I have quite a properous life. You don't need to worry about me bamboozling the public.
How does any of that preclude you from trying to bamboozle the public? Anyone can decide to promote themselves as more than they are.
Quote:
Why don't you let me say my 2 cents and ignore me. [snipo] But, if after you finish your tirade, some people are interested in coming to my classes and seminars great. Know...there is enough room for all of us. Obviously, you have your camp of believers. Though, I'm still kind of amazed given the fact you are a beginner.
Actually, I happen to see the martial arts as something other than a contest to see who can be worshipped, Joseph. I'm not sure you will understand that, though.
Quote:

Here is another tape to analyze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJlPnQyeIE

Can you see the Tai Chi Chuan here?
No. Neither the movements or the approach has anything to do with Taiji, Joseph. You are lost in a world of techniques, not Taiji.

Regards,

Mike Sigman
Old 04-27-2008, 01:28 AM   #96
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Chris wrote:

Quote:
Yes Jim,

I saw your post on that. Thanks. I am hoping to attend that as well as the Akuzawa seminar. My issue is that I have a major contract in San Francisco about the same time and I am dependent on the client deciding the actual date on a last minute basis. Playing it by ear and hoping to get in at the last minute if there is still room.
Hope you can make it, I will be at both of them and would like to meet you in person if you can make it!

Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 AM   #97
Chris Parkerson
United_States

Quote:
Kevin Leavitt wrote: View Post
Chris wrote:

Hope you can make it, I will be at both of them and would like to meet you in person if you can make it!
I feel the same way Kevin. Looking forward to (1) being there at the 2 seminars and /or (2) meeting you.

I love your posts and cannot wait to meet you.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #98
tuturuhan
United_States

Mike,

What do you do?

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola

Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 AM   #99
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
What do you do?
I am a Trophy Husband.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 AM   #100
Dan Austin
United_States

Quote:
Mike,

What do you do?

Sincerely
Joseph T. Oliva Arriola
I'll let you and Mike get on with your lovefest, but this question always fascinates me. In America it's common to ask this on meeting someone, while in many other countries it's considered extremely rude. If you think about it, it's no less a "how shall I label you" question than asking everyone immediately what their ethnic background is. It really has no bearing on having a conversation about economics, current events, your last vacation, or your hobbies - unless of course you wish to assert your superior social status and imply that your opinions should therefore have more weight. On a basic human level, I have to agree that it's a fundamentally rude question to ask.