Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Sojourner
Australia
Steven Segal, Aikido and Muay Thai.

In "Blitz" magazine which is a popular martial arts magazine in Australia, they do an article with Steven Segal, naturally the subject of MMA comes up after his training of MMA fighters, I thought this was an interesting statement from him as I think that many times people focus on Segal as an Aikidoka when in fact he is dan graded in other Martial Arts. Its also interesting to get an insight to what else he has trained in and what his influences are, I will try and find a weblink so you can read the article in full. - Edited - here is the link - http://www.blitzmag.net/people/aikid...-man-of-action

Blitz - "After Anderson knocked out Victor Belfort, he said the front kick he used to win the fight was taught to him by you. This really reintroduced you to MMA fans. However, there were also a lot of people questioning the validity of that. They wondered how an Aikido Instructor could teach a Muay Thai guy a front"?

Segal - Anyone who says that does not know anything about my life. First of all, I started out in karate many years before I started doing aikido. I've been around the world studying from kung fu masters, Muay Thai masters, tai chi masters... I've been doing Mixed Martial Arts for 40 years! So whoever says that really doesn't know anything about me.

Last edited by Sojourner : 03-05-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:40 PM   #2
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Steven Segal, Aikido and Muay Thai.

I'm pretty sure no one thinks that Steven Segal's contrived relationship with Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida is related to their success in the UFC. Articles written on the subject are an attempt to show advertisements to people who cannot identify a publicity stunt.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Sojourner
Australia

Does not look contrived to me... http://youtu.be/EEEd8jVfycg
Old 03-06-2014, 07:00 AM   #4
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
Does not look contrived to me... http://youtu.be/EEEd8jVfycg
The one and "only" foreigner to teach in Japan ..

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
jdm4life
United_States

Its a can of worms this subject....

Seagals reputation has been very much damaged and it seems he only has himself to blame. Aikido being a way of harmony seems to contradict the image he tries to portray depending what day it is. He is totally consumed by his own ego to the point where he is dellusional, I dont know how he can event take himself seriously.

I found this video the other day......made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ihg...e_gdata_player
Old 03-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Wow, Stephen, what an articulate guy. "Freddie" may have some points, but it is amazing how he can make them with only a seventeen word vocabulary. Sounded very much like one of my drill instructors in Marine Corps boot camp.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States

I do not think it matters what anybody thinks about Seagal. I would love to train with him and/or learn from him. Just being in his presence would be enough for me.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Eclipse Budo
Canada

Quote:
Kenneth Hannah wrote: View Post
I do not think it matters what anybody thinks about Seagal. I would love to train with him and/or learn from him. Just being in his presence would be enough for me.
I don't think I would pick him for a teacher, but I find it surprising that people don't respect him as a martial artist. It seems pretty obvious to me that he knows his stuff at a pretty intense level.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote: View Post
The one and "only" foreigner to teach in Japan ..
Back when he started teaching, this statement was true. Obviously it doesn't hold anymore with you and Mr. Goldberg along with others teaching now.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM   #10
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Mike Braxton wrote: View Post
Back when he started teaching, this statement was true. Obviously it doesn't hold anymore with you and Mr. Goldberg along with others teaching now.
That of course is what I meant - it sounded in the interview that he was referring to ever. In any case I think you mean Peter Goldsbury.

I think it is safe to say that SS was the first foreigner to operate an independent aikido dojo but it becomes less clear when you talk about teaching classes both within and outside aikido in the martial arts world. I actually know quite well another foreigner who co-founded and ran an aikido dojo about the same time but am a little uncertain who was first and am willing to give that kudo to SS. Certainly he was among a very small sub-set of gaiin who had both the opportunity and balls to make that step. It was, I am sure, much easier for those who came afterwards.

There is certainly a lot about SS that leaves a sour taste in my mouth but in the day his aikido was recognized as being quite good (Abe) albeit adapted for a big man. Aren't we all supposed to adapt what we learn to out our own body types. I have no problem with his picking up non-standard Aikido techniques along the way.

His definition of MMA is a little off in my opinion. I think it goes beyond trying different arts.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
BJohnston
United_States
Talking Re: Steven Segal, Aikido and Muay Thai.

At one point in time he was totally devoted to Aikido. I think that's clear. He was given an opportunity to take a different path and he took it. I think the path that he chose has led him somewhere completely different than where Aikido would have led him had that been his primary focus. Maybe he would have been more respected within the Aikido community had he led the life of a teacher and remained in obscurity. Maybe the Aikido path would have led to a less controversial place...Maybe not... Who knows? I personally don't feel like Segal needs permission from anyone to do whatever it is that he desires to do with his life. He was able to reach a very high level of Aikido in his prime. I enjoy watching the old footage of him teaching. He has/had clean, beautiful, and powerful technique. The fact that he still provokes such passionate reactions within the Martial Arts community shows his relevance. Good, bad, or indifferent, it gives something for everyone to debate.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States

When I recently viewed video of Seagal sensei in Russia he seems to still be all there as far as hi Aikido skills go! There are many of us out there who cores-train or add aspects from other martial arts into what we do. In my case that is certainly true but Aikido is the main focus and hopefully will be until I can't train anymore. When life situations come up and get me out of my rhythm of training, all I have to do is watch the opening scene from Above the Law with a dash if The Path Beyond Thought and I'm looking for my car keys.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
jdm4life
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Wow, Stephen, what an articulate guy. "Freddie" may have some points, but it is amazing how he can make them with only a seventeen word vocabulary. Sounded very much like one of my drill instructors in Marine Corps boot camp.
Whos articulate?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

"Freddie", the foul-mouthed character in the video. Seriously, you didn't think I was referring to you, did you?

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #15
jdm4life
United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
"Freddie", the foul-mouthed character in the video. Seriously, you didn't think I was referring to you, did you?

Ha, no...just curiosity.