Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics alone?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of February 3, 2008:

Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics alone?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.

Cast your vote at the top right of this page.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte
Re: Poll: Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics

Name one that can't be explained by physical mechanisms.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
SeiserL

United_States
Re: Poll: Do you think physical aikido techniques can be totally explained by physics

While I wouldn't say "totally explained", physics is the study of mechanics and energy, so it would be a good operational start.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
mriehle

Dojo: New School Aikido
United_States

While I don't believe there is any magic, I do believe there are things that happen which are not explained by physics.

The best example is a "double nikkyo" thing that I learned early on. If the attacker lets go, the technique will not work. But I know of several instances of people actually using the technique and the attacker doesn't let go. Ever.

So I believe there's a bit of psychology, sort of, in the techniques.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)

Quote:
Michael Riehle wrote: View Post
So I believe there's a bit of psychology, sort of, in the techniques.
ATEMI which doesn't strike it's target won't knock over a salt shaker.

There's eye-contact, eye-flicks, breath, timing...lots that physics doesn't begin to discuss. Not that I intend to get all foo-foo on yo' ass, just that they're not physics' thing.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/
Old 02-04-2008, 02:55 PM   #6
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

My answer was no. Some things cannot be explained in words or phrases, but only through constant experience. If the techniques could be explained in words, most people would pick it up much sooner than they do.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
mriehle

United_States

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote: View Post
ATEMI which doesn't strike it's target won't knock over a salt shaker.

There's eye-contact, eye-flicks, breath, timing...lots that physics doesn't begin to discuss.
Yes. Exactly.

Quote:
Don J. Modesto wrote: View Post
Not that I intend to get all foo-foo on yo' ass, just that they're not physics' thing.
Well, thank goodness for that. My world view wouldn't be able to handle it.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 AM   #8
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
There's eye-contact, eye-flicks, breath, timing...lots that physics doesn't begin to discuss. Not that I intend to get all foo-foo on yo' ass, just that they're not physics' thing
Not quite true, you could still use physics to describe the movements of the uke under these conditions, just not to accurately describe the cause of the movement unless you go very outre and make analogies between viscosity and intention etc. etc.

Basically, if there's a measurable effect and you don't mind too much what you use as your units of measurement, yes you probably could develop an equation to cover breath, certainly timing et al.

Yours pedantically...
Old 02-05-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Well, there is a psychological component in aikido techniques, however, psychology can be seen as electric impulses and chemistry.

This leads to physics.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
mriehle

United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
psychology can be seen as electric impulses and chemistry.
How would you like to be a hair right now? Huh? Why are you picking on these poor, defenseless hairs. Splitting them all over the place. It's not nice and it makes a mess.

And, in any case, now you're getting into some serious navel-gazing philosophy. Bordering on religion, even. Best to just walk away.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #11
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

I never assume something is defenseless, even hairs. That would be disrespectful.

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 02-05-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:40 AM   #12
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom

So, are we talking straight hairs or bendy ones? The angles involved in the splitting would vary considerably. Then we'd have to consider whether we had the moral right to impose the splitting in the first place or whether the hair truely wanted to split - and what of the folical it's left behind?
Old 02-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
mriehle

United_States

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post
I never assume something is defenseless, even hairs. That would be disrespectful.
Especially the ones practicing Tie One Ponytail.

It's all in fun until someone loses an eye.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #14
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel

While I believe the core of any explenaiton would be phisics. It would have to include quite a bit of phisiology. And a small amount of psychology (people not letting go, or trying to resist in specific ways)

Amir