Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-06-2003, 03:09 PM   #1
Thor's Hammer
Question Am I missing something?

I don't know if I missed something but from my perpective the people on here that say aikido is worthless in a fight have been gipped...

In my AAF dojo we attack a lot faster and more skillfully than anybody on 'the street' would, and we make sure that every step of the way we're as safe as possible from attack. Where is this innefectivenes? I've only done 3 months of classes but already I'm able to neutralize the average bully with a simple kotegaeshi or ikkyo... where are people getting this "ineffective" idea?
Old 05-06-2003, 03:14 PM   #2
Michael Neal
I don't think Aikido is ineffective, just the way some people train.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
Paul Smith
Personally, I think all these discussions belong under the penumbra of "useless."

Any "fight" in a dojo, or boxing ring, is controlled, with defined rules of play.

Unfortunately, the only way to perfect "effectiveness" is in the chaos of the street. In other words, learn to fight by fighting. If this is a goal, I see no other way.

Paul Smith
Old 05-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #4
shihonage
United_States
Bryan, just out of curiosity...

Have you actually neutralized a bully with a kotegaeshi or ikkyo ?
Old 05-06-2003, 03:27 PM   #5
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
Re: Am I missing something?

Quote:
Bryan Benson (Thor&#039s Hammer) wrote:
I don't know if I missed something but from my perpective the people on here that say aikido is worthless in a fight have been gipped...

In my AAF dojo we attack a lot faster and more skillfully than anybody on 'the street' would, and we make sure that every step of the way we're as safe as possible from attack. Where is this innefectivenes? I've only done 3 months of classes but already I'm able to neutralize the average bully with a simple kotegaeshi or ikkyo... where are people getting this "ineffective" idea?
...by the belief - sponsored by society and media - that aggression is key to success. Aikido is non-aggressive; therefore it cannot be successful. Personally, I find this belief to be in error. Aikido is extremely tactical; used well it can effectively handle any 'street' (note the quotations) situation.

One source of the misconception seems to derive from the fact that Aikido is not seen in MMA tournaments. Again, I personally find this idea odd; since the stated object of Aikido is the successful resolution of conflict in the most efficient and peaceful means possible; not in competition.

There are many as well who don't consider Aikido to be a fighting art at all; that it is a means to self-betterment and relaxation. That's their choice and it's a good one if it makes them happy. I personally find the tactical nature of the art deeply fascinating.

Be that as it may however; I'd offer one note of caution: You stated that "I've only done 3 months of classes but already I'm able to neutralize the average bully with a simple kotegaeshi or ikkyo." Unless you already have substantial experience in other fighting skills; and have successfully used Aikido in a defensive situation; I wouldn't be so quick to declare your abilities. There is no such thing as an 'average' bully and remember; bullies rarely attack singly - they travel in packs. Are your abilities - and your mental preparation - ready to handle a 3-on-1 situation? Lol - I'm not preaching; hope I don't sound like I am, just offering a small note of caution - there is a fine line between confidence and over-confidence.

Happy training!

Dave

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Jeff R.
Dojo: River Valley
Re: Am I missing something?

Quote:
Bryan Benson (Thor&#039s Hammer) wrote:

That's AWESOME that you are finding Aikido to be fun, fascinating, and practical. When you begin, you see a lot of power and magic in the techniques, and you feel unstoppable. As you get older, you begin to question and test the techniques, some people to different degrees than others. Further in training, after several years, you see that the techniques were always effective, but the principles needed to blossom inside of you; your body needed time to develop the nuances of Aikido as second nature, especially against a variety of attacks outside the dojo.

Don't jump the gun with overconfidence, but be confident in where you are. There is always somebody better than each of us, and there are people on the street that will blow your mind with speed, accuracy, and power--especially when it comes to survival. Overestimation of your own skills makes you as vulnerable to what you're not expecting as underestimating the skills of others.

Have fun with training. Experiment.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Yep, all situations are different...

Although analysis of our aikido is very useful, and helps to polish technique, no technique is perfect. There are always ways to get out, avoid, counter etc especially when we know what is coming. After the certain 'honeymoon' period in aikido many people loose faith because they say - well I could do this/that/the other. Why didn't they think of that initially? - cos they didn't understand aikido initially.

It is very important not to think uke is like nage. As uke you do a strong, fast attack directly towards nage - the usual similation of a suprise attack esp. from someon who wishes to lay you out in the first blow. As Nage we blend.

Once we confuse these two there is no way but through competition, but when this happens it gets more unrealistic because then when someone does attacks you aggressively in the street and doesn't look for a counter etc they are too fast and too powerful for our 'competitive mind' to do anything about it.

Ian

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---