Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States
Aikido vs. movie badguys

Maybe something a little more lighthearted would add some fun this week.

I watched a trailer for "The Strangers" in which- from what I can tell- a couple in a remote cabin are being terrorized by a dude and two women with a kitchen knife between the three of them.

It reminds me of a thought I've had during a number of other movies. Can you remember watching "Scream" and thinking, "I would #### that guy's life up!"

Even though you can't evidently kill Jason Voorhees or Michael Meyer, didn't you really want them to accidentally run into Kancho Sensei on a bad drunk?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
CarrieP

United_States
Re: Aikido vs. movie badguys

Can't say I've ever had that exact thought, but I have thought that fights in movies tend to be unrealistic.

Either the person fighting is completely unable to defend him or herself, or the person has superhero abilities.

Like, I was watching the end of some movie the other day, with Cher, and Dennis Quaid, and John Mahoney. She was being chased by this guy in the shadows, and she had a knife, but she was so terrified she couldn't use it properly. Sure, she cut the guy a little bit, but she was completely powerless, and her boyfriend (Dennis Quaid) had to rescue her.

Or, you get a movie like Serenity (which I adore), where the female lead is a polymath trained psychic assassin. The fight scenes with her are awesome, but not real.

It's like horror movies where the woman is running from the guy in high heels. Take the heels off, and run, for crying out loud!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
DonMagee
United_States

I've never thought that I could win, but, I have screamed 'armbar armbar, knees knees!!' at the screen during a few movies.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 06-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
Aristeia
New Zealand

ugh....it's so frustrating when they hit the ground in movies. You get hoarse from screaming "UUUUPPPAAAAAA....."

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"
Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yikes! I thought only aikidoka had these kind of moments!

B,
R

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-25-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
JamesC
United_States

That's one of the things i've always enjoyed about Jackie Chan's old movies. Sure, they were all very, very, rehearsed, but he always took a beating before the fight was finished.

One of my favorite fight scenes ever has to be from Indiana Jones. While he's chasing his girlfriend through the market he meets up with the guy swinging two scimitars. Instead of a drawn out, unrealistic fight scene, he simply pulls out his gun, shoots him and keeps going.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Dathan Camacho
Dojo: Triangle Aikido Club
United_States

Bill, thanks for this thread. It's nice to have a fun topic that isn't divisive!

It's the music. The bad guy is always in scenes with ominous scary music that tells me to be afraid because the character is dangerous. Put the TV on mute though, and I bet I start thinking I could take him out!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
JamesC
United_States

You ever notice how often the "baddies" are wearing black clothes too? Even if it's totally ridiculous for them to be wearing black jeans and black shirts in the middle of the desert, they usually are. Kind of funny actually.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
JW

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post
didn't you really want them to accidentally run into Kancho Sensei on a bad drunk?
You gotta see the new Hulk movie!
Ed Norton has a brief 3-person randori on the streets of Brazil.....

he was smooth, but the badguys REALLY got it when they accidentally ran into .... someone bigger.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post

he was smooth, but the badguys REALLY got it when they accidentally ran into .... someone bigger.
Haven't seen the movie, but Norton is supposed to be an Aikidoka.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Diane Stevenson
United_States

Quote:
James Cavin wrote: View Post
That's one of the things i've always enjoyed about Jackie Chan's old movies. Sure, they were all very, very, rehearsed, but he always took a beating before the fight was finished.

One of my favorite fight scenes ever has to be from Indiana Jones. While he's chasing his girlfriend through the market he meets up with the guy swinging two scimitars. Instead of a drawn out, unrealistic fight scene, he simply pulls out his gun, shoots him and keeps going.
I was discussing that scene with a friend last week. He said that Ford had a touch of the flue when they shot that scene, and he ad libbed the gun draw; it was origionally supposed to be another long drawn out fight.

I really love all of Jackie Chan's work. In many ways, he seems to practice great aikido, even though it's thru the medium of Chinese Kung Fu.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Eric Webber
Dojo: Aikido West Reading
United_States

Great fight scenes that don't make me cringe with distain and want to shoot my television:
1. "Gross Pointe Blank" - John Cusack and the other hit-dude in the hallway of the high school.
2. "Bourne Identity" - the Embassy scene
3. "Fight Club"

That being said, I love Serenity, Big Trouble In Little China, Rocky.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 AM   #13
Enrique Antonio Reyes
Dojo: Yuugou Aikido Kaisho
Philippines
Lightbulb Re: Aikido vs. movie badguys

Quote:
Jonathan Wong wrote: View Post

In the movie it was shown that he learned it from a brazilian martial artist (played by Rickson Gracie who is one of the legends of MMA). The message is very aikido however, controlling anger...
Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #14
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Favorite scenes from martial art movies...any fight scene from The Seven Samurai...especially the one where the "master swordsman" cuts down the travelling yokel who didn't realize when he'd lost.

Any of the fight scenes from The Hidden Blade.

Damn, that was a good movie.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 06-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
charyuop
Dojo: Ponca Aikikai
United_States

The best scenes where I would love to be on the spot to be able to enjoy it live is...
She runs through the parking lot chased by a "walking", actually "slow walking" maniac or monster or whatever it is. She reaches the car and the chaser is still 2 miles away. She looks for the keys which can never enter inside of the key hole, maybe fall on the ground a couple of times too. During this time the bad guy is having a couple of shots of rum, a couple of hands of poker game... She finally manages unlock the door and at that point he magically beat Lewis in a 100 meter dush and grabs her by the throat.

But the most urgent question that I want to ask you people is: if you are a weak woman, no weapon, can't defend yourself not even if attacked by a kitten...why the heck if you step into a room and find corpse all over the place, instead of running away you look for the responsible of that massacre??? And if during the search you hear a noise coming from a dark room, what on Earth suggests you to step inside???
Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #16
Beard of Chuck Norris
Dojo: Aberdeen Aikido Yuishinkai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Bill Danosky wrote: View Post

It reminds me of a thought I've had during a number of other movies. Can you remember watching "Scream" and thinking, "I would #### that guy's life up!"

Hehe.

Best fight scene?

Well, you know Seagal right... but did you know that Steven Seagal is... The Cock Puncher....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAY5tm-YX4
Old 06-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States

There's a movie from the 80's called "Streets of fire". The movie's marginal, but there's a sledgehammer fight at the end between Willem Dafoe and Michael Pare (Paray?).
Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #18
Ron Tisdale
United_States

Darn! I confused The Hidden Blade with The Twilight Samurai, but both are appropriate for this post. Just watched HB again last night...tonight is TS!
B,
R
Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
Favorite scenes from martial art movies...any fight scene from The Seven Samurai...especially the one where the "master swordsman" cuts down the travelling yokel who didn't realize when he'd lost.

Any of the fight scenes from The Hidden Blade.

Damn, that was a good movie.

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
Old 07-11-2008, 04:38 AM   #19
Bryan Sproles
Dojo: NOLA Aikido
United_States

I really enjoy seeing Seagal doing some real Aikido (not the random punching or pretty much anything in his movies past 1998 or so....

Particularly good movies: Under Siege, Under Siege 2, Marked for Death

One of my favorite scenes of Shihonage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjzl2yNuas

-Bryan
Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #20
shadowedge

Dojo: Sensei Aikido Dojo / Marikina Metro Manila
Philippines

Quote:

Actually I was pretty impressed by that fight scene. Norton, through his acting, managed to show his character's skills were still at low level. Plus you could tell how nervous Banner was thru the fight. It made me feel that little touch of reality I always look for in a fight scene.

Quote:
Well, you know Seagal right... but did you know that Steven Seagal is... The Cock Puncher....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOAY5tm-YX4
Now that's funny
What is this? DVD release movie? When did it come out?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #21
gdandscompserv

United_States

All of Seagals fight scenes in Above the Law.