Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-12-2005, 10:28 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido outside of your "on the mat" training?

AikiWeb Poll for the week of April 10, 2005:

How important is the philosophy of aikido outside of your "on the mat" training?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Critically important
  • Very important
  • Somewhat important
  • Not very important
  • Not at all important
Here are the current results.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:48 AM   #2
bryce_montgomery

United_States
Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido outside of your "on the mat" training?

When I first began studying aikido, it never really occurred to me how my "on the mat" practice would carry on to everyday life. But now, I have been able to see how the concepts and principles of aikido affect every decision I make and my attitude towards life and other people. My aikido experiences, while differing from good to bad, has affected me greatly and I believe that is the goal of most, if not all, Japanese budo and other martial arts, to carry out into everyday life.

From the reason a technique is performed, to the ideal of universal peace, the philosophy, whether technical or mental/spiritual, affects everything in my life, in one way or the other.

Bryce
Old 04-14-2005, 04:22 AM   #3
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom
Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido outside of your "on the mat" training?

Been reading a book on assertiveness at work. With a few changes in vocabulary this book would read like an Aikido manual for the work place.

Then again, taking to the extreme, Aikido in the workplace would be diplomacy or the art of telling someone to go to Hell in such a way that they are looking forward to the trip.

*grins evilly*

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 04-14-2005, 06:13 AM   #4
nage
Dojo: Ninomia Dojo Haifa-Binyamina
Israel

For me it is very important, but with all do respect I'm sure that there is one "Aikido philosophy".
I think it is meny diferent things for diferent people.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Narda
United_States

What is 'Aikido philosophy'? I study another art, so have no 'mat' experience. However, I feel that what I take away from this site, from readings on Aikido, and from watching testing at a local Aikido dojo are very important to the way I am living my life.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:09 AM   #6
xuzen

Dojo: None at the moment - on hiatus
Malaysia

This time, I voted very important. The philosophy that I practice most outside my mat-times is 'non-resistant' or the principle of ju (pliability). Having work in the service industry, customer interaction is very important to me and I actually have used this principle many times to resolve irate customers.

Boon.

SHOMEN-ATE (TM), the solution to 90% of aikido and life's problems.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
SeiserL

United_States

There's a difference? ;-)

Don't even get me started on this one. ;-) Those who know me, know that I think its very importnat to practice everday on and off the mat. I was doing Aikido already before I stepped on the mat. I just didn't call it that.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 04-16-2005, 08:59 AM   #8
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

"Off the Mat" is the reason I practice "On the Mat"

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 04-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #9
Janet Rosen

Re: Poll: How important is the philosophy of aikido outside of your "on the mat" trai

Quote:
Jo Adell wrote:
"Off the Mat" is the reason I practice "On the Mat"
what she said!

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
Brad Pruitt
Dojo: High Desert Aikido
United_States

To me it's critically important and at the same time it seems so much more difficult to apply off the mat. I am aware when it all goes awry but only see it during or after the happening like I'm some kind of bi-standard of my own undoing. Though I am critically aware.