Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Lee Salzman
Question Internal strength/aiki vs. mechanically efficient movement?

Let's stay you study movement from a certain standpoint: when you are trying to apply force to something, you find the most mechanically efficient way for each joints' work to feed into the the others on either side simultaneously, spanning from the feet at the ground to the hands. I don't mean in the sense of movement starting in the feet and ending at the hands, but all things along the span simultaneously exerting both directions along the span, like a bunch of initially squished springs all expanding against each other. The expansion is happening due to muscular effort.

Is that external strength? How does it differ from internal strength? How does it differ from aiki?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
C. David Henderson
United_States
Re: Internal strength/aiki vs. mechanically efficient movement?

Hi Lee,

I don't even play an expert on TV, but here are some impressions, FWIW.

: I like your description of movement, and the broader question your OP suggests.

: Since "IS" requires training to rewire the body, finding the most effecient method to move may be relative to the person's present condition and skill.

: When I hear people talking about "aiki" I tend to infer the development of a skill set for using internal conditioning, not simply "IS."

What do you think?

Sincerely,

David Henderson
Old 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

I think what you are describing is a major part of internal martial arts.

I think, "Aiki" is different than what you described. I believe "Aiki" is non physical. But non magical as well. Aiki is what musicians use in order to play music together, not physical, but not magical either.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 AM   #4
Lee Salzman

Quote:
Charles David Henderson wrote: View Post
What do you think?
I do think there are distinctions between these things, as the point of my line of questioning was not to imply they are the same, and my own take on it is boring and probably just flat-out wrong. I was just hoping more than two people would chime in as to what they see as the differences.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
InternalPowerSac
Dojo: Neijia
United_States

Friends I hope this gives you some more insight. If you do make it as deep as my blog I recommend following chronologically from the beginning to gain a fuller understanding of my thought processes. This happened very quickly and my brain is a chaotic mess by nature so it took me a moment to get it to coalesce enough to communicate somewhat.

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19293

Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Eric in Denver
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

Quote:
Chris Hein wrote: View Post
I think what you are describing is a major part of internal martial arts.

I think, "Aiki" is different than what you described. I believe "Aiki" is non physical. But non magical as well. Aiki is what musicians use in order to play music together, not physical, but not magical either.
Have you read the book "Mirroring People" by Marco Iacoboni? If the above is your perspective, you may find it interesting. It discusses recent findings regarding mirror neurons and its implications for various areas of life.