Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-19-2001, 01:35 AM   #1
Travis Baker
Is it worth going to see? I was considering taking my girlfriend to see it because it looks like something she might like. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it. The critics seemed to like it... but that doesn't really mean anything.

Yay or Nay?

-Travis
Old 03-19-2001, 03:22 AM   #2
DiNalt
Quote:
Travis Baker wrote:
Is it worth going to see? I was considering taking my girlfriend to see it because it looks like something she might like. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it. The critics seemed to like it... but that doesn't really mean anything.

Yay or Nay?

-Travis
Roger Ebert says, "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is like Dirty Dancing, only in the middle of the movie Rambo comes and guns down the main actors, the supporting actors and the cameraman. The remaining 60 minutes of the movie, therefore, are just a still picture of blood-soaked ground..."

Okay, so he really didn't say that.
Damn, I'm an insomniac.
Old 03-19-2001, 05:05 AM   #3
Moomin
Dojo: Bradford
What an odd thing to say.

Well Mr. Baker, it's going to cost you, what, $20 all in for the date, so I guess just go and see it. (I thought it was actually rather good, a bit like a travelogue of China in places, but Michelle Yeo is such a beautiful woman, interesting story and neat fight scenes, especially the last-but-one battle).

Greg
The tiger who hunts for men may be plump,
But he still pounces
Old 03-19-2001, 05:30 AM   #4
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Any girl I know who's gone to it has wanted to go again..... It's got an odd kind of doomed romance thing in it. It's a film where you realise some things aren't going to have a convenient ending, and it's very moving because of it.

andrew
Old 03-20-2001, 04:23 AM   #5
Sam
Dojo: Kyogikan Sheffield
Go and see it. It is fantastic.
I think it is probably the second best MA film I have seen because the bits inbetween the fighting scenes (you know the story bits) are good.- just nudged out the top spot by Shanghai Noon in my opinion.
Old 03-20-2001, 07:53 AM   #6
Yo-Jimbo
Dojo: formerly Windward Aikido, formerly at Keewenaw Schools of Aikido (ASU)
Location: Formerly Hawaii Pacific University, formerly at Michigan Technological University
United_States
Talking Yoeh-Jimbo

And did anyone mention that Michelle Yeoh and Ziyi are majorly hot?!?
The drama was cool too.
Fighting rocked.
Of course, Michelle Yeoh is at least one third of the perfect woman, so...

"One does not find wisdom in another's words." -James D. Chye
Old 03-27-2001, 07:03 AM   #7
Arunabha Sengupta
Dojo: Calcutta Judo Club Dojo
Unhappy

I saw it yesterday. The Martial part was quite good in parts, but the actors spent too much time flying high during combat scenes, giving a very mystic look to the fights.
Except for Michelle Yeoh, the scenic Chinese landscapes and some of the martial sequences sans the 'flights' of fancy, I found the story line thin and odd and the entire movie difficult to digest, even for Kung Fu fans.

Avoid rather than Check,
Check rather than Hurt,
Hurt rather than Maim,
Maim rather than Kill
Old 03-27-2001, 09:27 AM   #8
The One
Dojo: The Universe
Thumbs down

I've seen it 3 times since the day it came out and it is my new favorite movie and bumped The Matrix out of its spot in my opinion.

About the mystical part and it being difficult to swallow... Come on! It's supposed to be a fantasy. And the flying part adds a very artistic side to the movie. That's why it was nominated for so many Oscars. And BTW, Isn't it an ancient myth in kung fu? That you could fly be placing your ki below you and lifting yourself? Or making yourself weightless? I know I've read it somewhere.

Kai
"Feel the pain, feel the joy, of a man... who was never a boy..." - X
Old 04-01-2001, 12:05 PM   #9
skeet_master
Dojo: Savannah, GA
I would also recommend this movie.

Though I haven't really seen that many martial arts movies, I really enjoyed this one.

I know some people have trouble getting past the wire stunts, and I have to say I was pretty worried about that too before I went into the theatre. But I got past it (they are pretty much superheroes after all). The scene in the trees was the only one I thought looked a little hokey. That and the first fight scene was very dark so I couldn't see any of the actual fight (but man it really _sounds_ good hehe)

Nice story too - some people I've talked to called it cheesy or whatever but I think its more like Shakespearean tragedy. And on a final note (no pun intendeded), it has a beatiful score.

-Ethan