Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Language

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
werm
United_States
English to kanji translation

anyone know of a reliable site that will let you type a phrase in englis and it will translate it to Kanji??
Old 09-22-2005, 01:52 AM   #2
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan
Re: English to kanji translation

http://www.nifty.com/globalgate/
if you put the english in the second larger box (not the URL line) on the page and push the button under the box, the kanji should appear. this is only of course if your computer is kanji able. my computer is japanese so I don't know about making an english computer show kanji. I think you can just download it from windows though. If you can't figure out how to make your computer kanji able, there is a very small chance a website out there exists that would display the kanji in a picture on the page. I could be wrong though. good luck. by the way, what kanji are you looking for anyway?
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 AM   #3
Dirk Hanss

Dojo: Aikidoschule Trier
Germany

The page is great.

@werm: I would be very careful, using automatic translated phrases, unless my skills are at least good enough to get an idea of understanding the result (I guess you do, but I don't yet). I do not know how big the risk is in Japanese, but it is true for any language. And ambiguities in English are not always easy to solve.

(subject: "fruit flies" : mostly mean little animals on fruit, could als be the ability to fly for some kind of fruit; probably fantasy story, but who knows?)

Dirk
Old 09-22-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
petermavrik
Dojo: Tenshinkan Dojo, Chicago
United_States

I've always liked the Babelfish at AltaVista:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

塵も積もれば山となる
even grains of sand can form a mountain
Old 09-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #5
saltlakeaiki

Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai

I would reiterate the caution about trusting the output of an automated translator. Even the best of them are extremely limited. Often you'll get an acceptable/understandable output, but it won't be nearly as good as a human could do.

Also, I note that you ask for an English to Kanji translation, but this doesn't quite make sense. Do you mean English to Japanese? Kanji is not a language, only a writing system, and the phrase you want to translate may not be renderable entirely in Kanji.

If you tell us what it is you're trying to translate, we can probably help you quite easily.

Dave

If it wasn't for the goat, you couldn't get in here for propaganda!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Dirk Hanss wrote:
(subject: "fruit flies" : mostly mean little animals on fruit, could als be the ability to fly for some kind of fruit; probably fantasy story, but who knows?)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
peter martin-browning
Dojo: sei ro kan, nottingham
United Kingdom

Hello everyone

I recently tried an automated system to translate words and phrases like "Awareness", "self-awareness", "healing", "healer" and "integration". The translations I received included one that meant "prostitute." Thus I would very much like to emphasise what has been said here about automated systems.
Incidentally, if anyone can translate for me, I would be most grateful.

At your service

Peter
Old 10-03-2005, 06:04 PM   #8
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

for awareness, I would say 意識 いしき 
self awareness 自己意識 じこいしき
I think you are going for cool kanji to do calligraphy of or something maybe right? as far as being cool, this one isn't so cool, and there weren't any others that fell into the cool category either. it could be me, Jun is a native speaker I assume, am I right about this?

next healing 癒し いやし this one is pretty cool, at least it sells a lot of products claiming to heal you. speaking mostly psychologically/spiritually.

as for healer you can say 癒し手 いやして (maybe, no hiragana in the dictionary) but I don't think this one sounds cool either. the rest are very medical sounding.

integration is a difficult one, there are a lot of different words depending on the situation. I assume you are talking about aikido, but I'm still not sure which aspect you are talking about integrating.

a great dictionary I use is here, just put the English word in the box and put the button right next to it.
http://www.alc.co.jp/index.html

by the way, how much Japanese do you understand anyway?