Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
vieq

Egypt
Smile Flying solo

Hello, First post with a strange name but as you go on reading you 'll know why I picked it. (I hope!)

First of all let me tell a simple background about me and the issue I am posting about here.

I am 29 years old, married and have kids ( I do not need your money, thanks ) and I have been into various sports since I was 15 I think.

I have been doing wushu kung fu for like 4 years and moved to swimming and then body building now the only thing I am doped to is power lifting which seems to match my taste a bit...tell I found out about aikido.

The reason is kinda silly for why I moved across them all, starting with kung fu as a first sport kinda twisted my mentality about every harsh situation must end with a fight and fight is about a winner and a loser...doing kung fu was no good except on the training session and I kinda discovered an error in my training style...I emphasis on applying great power on my strike to end the match as soon as possible....that usually ... always ended up me exhausted and frustrated.

swimming and body building gave me a physic that led to going with confidence which led to a fight usually do not start in the first place.

Now I am into power lifting and frankly I discovered about aikido some time before I got into power lifting but did not seek learning more about it except this days.

what I understood about aikido is what I need exactly, no power needed only focus and a set of moves that will ensure me getting away from any harsh situation even by demonstrating how much damage I can cause if I was pushed any further (I told you my mindset got corrupted).

I tried to be more practical and tried to find some one to train me, I found out that we have an aikido training here in Egypt and even met with sensei Taha Amer he is a great guy and really humble.

I looked for some media I can grab over the net and got lucky with videos of Christian Tissier and the Yoshinkan Aikido (dropped that off the list since here in Egypt Aikikai is dominant; found also lot's of books and even a translated one! (weeeee)

Tell now every thing seems perfect, but....

The nearest dojo to me is 120+ Km away which means like 6 hours on the road and like 3 hours training once per week (on Sensei's Taha Amer's request)

It's hard to do really hard, exhausting and expensive.

I tried to do one more trick and grab the videos of the kyu grade exam and mimic the movement's on my own and then go to Cairo and do the exam on each belt.

still not sure what the heck am doing and frankly I am questioning my self a lot...was it aikido that I want or just the cool grabs I can perform on a short distance.

I am really clueless about my starting point or ending one or anything at all and frankly I do not know what to say next.

May be I was thinking out loud, what do you think?

PS1: Sorry if it went to the wrong section

PS2: I did do search a lot before I post this about training a lone and it all was about the environment like using sandbags and etc, what I am looking for is different (if this can fly in the first place) I am looking for a howto from A - Z like in power lifting I know how to start and finish my day and what's next tomorrow.

PS3: Searching about aikido led to know about the Ki power and frankly I have nothing to learn about it except couple of books (ki in aikido by C.M. Shifflett / Ki in daily life by Koichi Tohei)

PS4: Done and sorry for long post and the bad writing.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Flying solo

Welcome - I think your ability to express yourself in English is fine! And your questions are good.
The problem, as I see it, is that aikido is only in a small part about moving step by step correctly - it is mostly aa art involving connection to and working with the changing input of another living, breathing, moving human.
So do not expect to learn enough to show up and pass a test. That's not what it's about.
I'm sorry it is so far for you to get to a dojo! I wonder if you asked the Sensei perhaps there are some experienced students who live closer to you that could be a sort of "study group" ?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Welcome, Mohamed.

That is quite a trip to make to the dojo.

I can't really tell you what is best for you, but here are some suggestions.

Learning aikido strictly from video will be difficult but I bet you can make some good progress. You will definitely need a training partner who is as committed as you are.

If you don't have a training partner you can practice footwork and weapons. I recommend Saito Sensei's aiki ken and jo.

If you do this sort of home study, it would probably be a good idea to make regular trips to Cairo so you can gauge your progress.

You also might want to look for a judo school. They tend to be a little easier to find. And you don't have to approach judo with a win/lose attitude... You can just go to learn.

Here is a link to my friend's website. You might find it helpful.

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
Welcome - I think your ability to express yourself in English is fine!
And your questions are good.
/me is shy!
Thank's for the nice compliment

Quote:
The problem, as I see it, is that aikido is only in a small part about moving step by step correctly - it is mostly aa art involving connection to and working with the changing input of another living, breathing, moving human.
So do not expect to learn enough to show up and pass a test. That's not what it's about.
I'm sorry it is so far for you to get to a dojo! I wonder if you asked the Sensei perhaps there are some experienced students who live closer to you that could be a sort of "study group" ?
Yub I did ask him about a study group from outside Cairo or any near could be -- classmate.

He told me about those guys who come from far places like I do using thier *own car* .... that of course was a show stopper.

I am keeping a liability of not being able to train in a dojo in the main time or any time soon...I was kinda looking for something that might boost my learning curve or give me a plus when I am finally able to train in a dojo....who knows I might end up moving to Cairo.

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
Welcome, Mohamed.

Learning aikido strictly from video will be difficult but I bet you can make some good progress. You will definitely need a training partner who is as committed as you are.
I tried seducing my wife on letting me train with her, obviously I failed big time

Quote:
If you don't have a training partner you can practice footwork and weapons. I recommend Saito Sensei's aiki ken and jo.
Will google those today and learn about them.

Quote:
If you do this sort of home study, it would probably be a good idea to make regular trips to Cairo so you can gauge your progress.
It's a plane I wish it could work, it being hard in the first place is my only reason I am seeking help.

Quote:
You also might want to look for a judo school. They tend to be a little easier to find. And you don't have to approach judo with a win/lose attitude... You can just go to learn.
what's up with Judo? (curious) is it the closest thing to Aikido? we have lot's of places here to train Judo and in fact I have some of my best friends into Judo.

Could you please explain more or guide me to some where where I can read more about it or what's in it for me?

Quote:
Bookmarked

Thank you Janet and Michael for taking the time to read my post and to reply it, I really appreciate it
Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
Tim Ruijs

Dojo: Makato/Netherlands
Netherlands

Hi,

Depending on your interest in Aikido, consider starting your own dojo. Yeah that's scary. But when you can find a small group of people to practise with that, would be way better than learning from videos alone. Then when you do go to your teacher you have good questions, take them back home, study and so forth. But it is a big step....

In a real fight:
* If you make a bad decision, you die.
* If you don't decide anything, you die.
Aikido teaches you how to decide.
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #6
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
Hi,

Depending on your interest in Aikido, consider starting your own dojo. Yeah that's scary. But when you can find a small group of people to practice with that, would be way better than learning from videos alone. Then when you do go to your teacher you have good questions, take them back home, study and so forth. But it is a big step....
I even had a better idea, I thought of going every now and then to be examined on the kyu grades and when I hit my 1st dan I would start to train people as a part time in local gym's (some people do that) tell I be able to open up my own.

How ever while it seems like a flawless plan I can assure you it's missing one big corner stone. moneys and time

when I was single it could have been done, but after being heavily occupied my chances are really narrow.

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #7
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Hi Mohamed

I think Tim's suggestion is best for you. Get a couple of friends and study what you have learned to date with them - then move slowly forward with a video technique. Forget about the distraction of Ki in your Aikido - you have plenty of time for that at a later stage.
As a beginner I also suggest any books you have, use them to prop the door open. I never recommend books to beginners ( even my own ).
Good luck

Henry Ellis
Aikido Articles
http://aikidoarticles.blogspot.com/
Old 09-09-2011, 04:02 AM   #8
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Welcome - I think your ability to express yourself in English is fine! And your questions are good.
Thank you and yes I thought of that and asked Sensei Taha about it and he told me about those guys who come from far places than me in their own cars (that of course is a show stopper)

Quote:
Welcome, Mohamed.

Thanks I will be looking forward to get more information about Aiki Ken and Aiki Jo as you suggested.

Let me ask you about Judo, is it the closest thing to Aikido cause as I know the Judo we practice over here is for competitions only.

That was one good web site by the way, pretty elegant and neat
Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #9
Tim Ruijs

Netherlands

Mohammed

In all fairness, I really do not think that is better.
You cannot start teaching when you make shodan. You are only a student on the first day of Aikido. The second day you are teacher of day one, and student of day two. On day three you are teacher of day one and two, student of day three....

I am not sure why you think running your own dojo is expensive. It only costs little money to rent a place once a week. Get your student to pay a little fee to compensate (contribution). Agreed the investement in 200m2 tatami is unrealistic, but you will not need too either.

It is your choice

In a real fight:
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 09-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Tim Ruijs wrote: View Post
Mohammed

In all fairness, I really do not think that is better.
You cannot start teaching when you make shodan. You are only a student on the first day of Aikido. The second day you are teacher of day one, and student of day two. On day three you are teacher of day one and two, student of day three....

I am not sure why you think running your own dojo is expensive. It only costs little money to rent a place once a week. Get your student to pay a little fee to compensate (contribution). Agreed the investement in 200m2 tatami is unrealistic, but you will not need too either.

It is your choice
Perhaps where you live it's not expensive...here it's really coasty to rent anything :/

do you know what's more sarcastic too? I do have the space and it's like 185M squared! it only needs to be setup and I am good to go. even that I can not afford now..things are really different over here :/

and yes, you're correct I never thought of it this way.

I will try to follow your advice with a little tweaking by following @Hellis advice.

I will be considering my options

Quote:
Hellis wrote:
Forget about the distraction of Ki in your Aikido - you have plenty of time for that at a later stage.
I thought I could make use of anything I can get if not all, is not Ki supposed to be about inner power?

I thought of getting more of it to support what ever I do in the main time whether it's power lifting or fortunately soon aikido
Old 09-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
dps

For a video I would recommend " Aikido: The Power and the Basics"

volume 1 by Yoshimitsu Yamada Sensei.

For an online source you can use http://www.ehow.com/aikido/ but stick to the basics don't try advanced technique.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6546983_lear...do-online.html

dps

Last edited by dps : 09-09-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
For a video I would recommend " Aikido: The Power and the Basics"

volume 1 by Yoshimitsu Yamada Sensei.

For an online source you can use http://www.ehow.com/aikido/ but stick to the basics don't try advanced technique.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6546983_lear...do-online.html

dps
Thanks man, if only the forum op would allow my posts to Janet Rosen and Michael Varin to be published you 'd know I answered them.

Any way thanks for looking into advising me
Old 09-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #13
Tim Ruijs

Netherlands

I see.

Do not think too big.
I have my own tatami of 50m2, rent a secondary school's gym which costs less than 20 euros/hour. I have about 30 students of which 14 children (between 8 and 12).

Would it be possible to get it setup with the help of others in trade for lessons? Depends on the work that needs to be done off course.

In a real fight:
www.aikido-makato.nl
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #14
Michael Varin
United_States

Quote:
Mohamed Salah wrote:
That was one good web site by the way, pretty elegant and neat
Thanks. I chalk it up to my fantasitic ukemi

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 09-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #15
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

One idea - you don't necessarily need mats immediately to be able to practice. It's possible to practice the techniques just to the point of throwing and then stop there. So if you can find a couple people who are interested, you could basically start practising in somebody's backyard, a park, a garage, basically anywhere with a bit of empty space.

Pauliina
Old 09-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #16
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote: View Post
One idea - you don't necessarily need mats immediately to be able to practice. It's possible to practice the techniques just to the point of throwing and then stop there. So if you can find a couple people who are interested, you could basically start practicing in somebody's backyard, a park, a garage, basically anywhere with a bit of empty space.

Pauliina

Quote:
Pauliina Lievonen wrote:
It's possible to practice the techniques just to the point of throwing and then stop there.
Explain this a bit if you please

I talked on the phone last night with Sensi Taha Amer apparently I was over thinking it and as @Tim Ruijs said I was thinking to big! Now how is that? I will tell you.

First I did not need to stop power lifting at all, I just needed to tweak my training a bit to be about more RM (repetition max) not 1RM and do more stretching, that's one.

Secondly I do not need to set a specific time to train as I already do train for another sport in terms of getting wet and breathless...I simply need to practice any time and every where I can by visualizing the attack and how do I respond to it. (is that called Shadow Training?)

I was looking for a starting point, from googling I thought doing Aiki Taiso all day long is the key while it is but not necessarily (or not?) any way I took a look at here and voila there is my starting point! first I gotta work on my Shomen-uchi Ikkyo then Katatedori Shiho-nage then Shomen-uchi Irimi-nage and lastly Kokyu-ho (which I still have doubts about it and could not find a video that I say to my self 'there you go' a Kokyu-ho youtube link!)

some how this plan looks less overhead already, do not you think?

PS: seriously I will be waiting for a reply

Last edited by vieq : 09-10-2011 at 09:03 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #17
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

Yes that sounds like a good plan! Alweays good to talk to your teacher isn't it?

What I meant with practicing to the point of throwing was for example with the shomenuchi iriminage: if you manage to find a partner, you can practice all the steps of the technique (receiving the shomenuchi, stepping behing uke, turning, managing to get uke moving with you...) all the way to where normally uke would start to fall down, but then stop there and just let uke bend a little bit backwards. That way it's possible to practice almost anywhere.

But practicing by visualizing what you want to do is also a very good. I would recommend that you visualize both sides of the technique, so also visualize being the attacker and how you would need to move if someone was doing the technique to you.

Hope that helps!
Pauliina
Old 09-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #18
vieq

Egypt

@Pauliina Lievonen

It did!, I am posting this reply after practicing for a while the Shomenuchi Ikkyo / tenkan ...... it was kinda hard (not the technique it self) but forcing my self to believe that it's done like this in the real thing!....that of course will be ascertained when I visit Sensi Taha either I get a clap or a slap :/

I will try to systematize the aiki taiso into my daily routine and see where that leads too, I have been searching around this forum for a while about solo training and training alone and such...almost all answers where about focusing on the foot work and Ki which is basically all about aiki taiso if I am not wrong.

still do not know what a kokyo ho looks like! and by the way for the 5th kyu do I get examined on the kokyo ho zage or umm.. I still do not know what kokyo ho is!

googling while waiting
Old 09-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
Larry Feldman
Dojo: Atlanta School of Aikido
United_States

After passing my shodan test I found out my instructor was not 'up to date' with thetaour organization was teaching. I lived in Houston TX, and ended up driving to Austin TX (3 1/2 hours) once a month to train. I did this for approximately 9 years. The good news was that I had a basis to work from, an instructor who could dish out a 'monthly lesson', who I became friends with and let me stay at his place when I came in so I could train for the weekend without a hotel bill.

Some suggestions.
Have a serious conversation with your instructor about a training program for you.

See if you can stay at the dojo overnight and make it 2 classes when you make the trip.

Try to find a local training partner to travel with you (split the costs) , and who will get th esame lesson you do when you are at the dojo. This partner may change over time.

Video your instructor, or have him video his lesson for you to review.

Stay away from video's that are not in your same style or not recommeded by your teacher - it is not what he is trying to teach, or you are trying to learn, and it will take you off the path.

Books are for history or philosophy at this stage of your training.

Let any of your teachers senior students know that if they are in your part of the country that they are invited to come train with you. I have practiced on the front lawn (without throws) of one of my teacher's senior students' mother's house when I was in Dallas and he was in town visiting.

Make every weekend seminar your teacher - or his teacher gives.

It is a tough road....but of course my teacher used his student loan money to go to NYC to study over a 6 week Christmas break for 11 consecutive years...

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #20
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:

Some suggestions.

Have a serious conversation with your instructor about a training program for you.
That I did and I am looking forward to meet him but his time to set things straight as in my newly learned moves on my own as well as shadow training style (he insisted!)

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
See if you can stay at the dojo overnight and make it 2 classes when you make the trip.
My entire mothers family lives in Cairo, it's my wife that I won't be able to convince her of staying there over night for training...am sure you 'll know what I mean

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
Try to find a local training partner to travel with you (split the costs) , and who will get the same lesson you do when you are at the dojo. This partner may change over time.
Thankfully I am not that poor, and the costs are not that much if I went there one time per month.

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
Video your instructor, or have him video his lesson for you to review.
Cool point, I never thought of it seriously

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
Stay away from video's that are not in your same style or not recommended by your teacher - it is not what he is trying to teach, or you are trying to learn, and it will take you off the path.
That I have done the very first time I met Sensi Taha...I have DLed this Yoshinkan Aikido videos and asked him about and he told me that the Aikido we have here in Egypt is the Aikikai Aikido.

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
Books are for history or philosophy at this stage of your training.
So to read or not to read that is the question?

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
Let any of your teachers senior students know that if they are in your part of the country that they are invited to come train with you. I have practiced on the front lawn (without throws) of one of my teacher's senior students' mother's house when I was in Dallas and he was in town visiting.
will work on it.

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
It is a tough road....Good luck.
It is really and I really need the good luck.

I just finished understanding how do I perform the Shomenuchi ikkyo, Kakatedori shihonage, Shomenuchi iriminage..still need to work on the form though....

And still have no clue about the kokyuho Zagi (is it a prerequisite for the 5th kyu belt exam?)
Old 09-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
Michael Varin
United_States

Is this the kokyu ho you are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DixV5yxyEX4

This is most likely what I would picture if someone said kokyu ho. I personally don't think this is a very good execution of the technique, but it was the first that came up on YouTube.

This technique has a few names.

I come from an Iwama background and I would call it suwari waza ryote dori kokyu ho, but kokyu nage and kokyu dosa are also common terms.

One problem is that kokyu nage can be the name of a variety of techniques that don't look similar at all.

-Michael
Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Michael Varin
United_States

Yeah. That's got to be it.

I found the same video (well, the remix ) by adding zagi to the search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4RsOlCGdc

-Michael
Old 09-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #23
Larry Feldman
United_States

Vieq - Read the books covering philosophy and history. Skip the techniques books unless recommended by your instructor.

I did most of the trips when I was single, but when I met my wife to be, she started training - so the travel was OK, but I understand those contstraints. Try to see if she wants to visit her Mom a little more often!

Go to class with a set of questions - the things you are struggling with or need clarification on. You teacher should appreciate the fact that you are rtrying to 'get it'.

Keep the pool of techniques you are working on small - work on the quality of thiose techniques.

The shadow training worked for me, I think it can be useful. Try the shadow ukemi as well.

Larry
Old 09-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #24
vieq

Egypt

Quote:
Is this the kokyu ho you are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DixV5yxyEX4

This is most likely what I would picture if someone said kokyu ho. I personally don't think this is a very good execution of the technique, but it was the first that came up on YouTube.

This technique has a few names.

I come from an Iwama background and I would call it suwari waza ryote dori kokyu ho, but kokyu nage and kokyu dosa are also common terms.

One problem is that kokyu nage can be the name of a variety of techniques that don't look similar at all.
Quote:
Yeah. That's got to be it.

I found the same video (well, the remix ) by adding zagi to the search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j4RsOlCGdc
All I could find are similar ones so I 'd assume it is tell I get to know for real

HEY! thanks

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:
Vieq - Read the books covering philosophy and history. Skip the techniques books unless recommended by your instructor.
Any recommended ones?

Quote:
Larry Feldman wrote:

I did most of the trips when I was single, but when I met my wife to be, she started training - so the travel was OK, but I understand those constraint's. Try to see if she wants to visit her Mom a little more often!

Go to class with a set of questions - the things you are struggling with or need clarification on. You teacher should appreciate the fact that you are rtrying to 'get it'.

Keep the pool of techniques you are working on small - work on the quality of those techniques.

The shadow training worked for me, I think it can be useful. Try the shadow ukemi as well.

Larry
It's my mothers family that lives in Cairo, my wife's family lives in the same town I am living in

What is the Ukemi Shado Training (could not find an appropriate source)
Old 09-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #25
Larry Feldman
United_States

For books, I used to recommend poeple start with Spirit of Aikido by K Ueshiba.(despite the techniques in the middle of the book).

Check out almost any of John Stevens' books.

Kodo - Ancient Ways is about training.

Dave Lowry does a good job on traditional Martial Arts training.

That should get you started.

As far as shadow training - or walking through a techniques without a partner. If you are doing this to try to get repitions in of proper movement, you should also consider walking through the ukemi for each technique.